• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ProfessorÉ

Oct 29, 2022
    Boyds, MD
    I am a conservative, freedom-loving, America-loving, constitutional-loving Jew. My grandfather fought in Guadalcanal with the 1st Marine Division, my mother served as a commissioned officer in the PHS who led hurricane Andrew relief efforts in Florida and Louisiana and received accommodations from President George HW Bush.

The idea of a Jewish conspiracy theory is over 120 years old and has been disproven many times. It was created by the Russian Secret Police during the Czar to bring attention away from the from falling Monarchy and to scapegoat their economic failures. There are 15 million Jews in the world representing less than .001% of the world's population. 7 million in Israel, 6 million in the U.S., and the rest scattered throughout the world due to long histories of antisemitism perpetrated and inspired by the Catholic Church (thankfully, the Church formally repudiated religious antisemitism in the 1960s).

You might ask yourself if Jews are such a small part of the population, why are we overrepresented in business, politics, art and culture, medicine, etc? The answer is very, very simple. Our religion and culture require us to be educated. The Torah says (for Christians, your bible, too) to find a teacher and to learn.

Family, education, and community are the center of our culture. This is the conspiracy to our success. That's it!

Why banking (not so much anymore)? Because religious Antisemitism from the Catholic Church prevented us from holding real jobs except for usury and merchants for 1700 years.

As far as the conspiracy goes... there's an old Jewish joke that says if you get 5 Jews in a room, you will get 10 opinions. The state of Israel has over 30 political parties. There is not much Jews agree on. In fact, we can't even agree on the definition of a Jew. We had to leave that to the Nazis and Hitler.

Why do 65% of American Jews vote Democrat?
    They didn't vote Democrat until FDR, and stopped voting Democrat until civil rights. Most Jews, including my grandfather and great-grandfather, always voted republican. What changed? Until the civil rights movement, there used to be signs that would say, "No Blacks, No Jews, No Dogs." History conveniently forgot about the other two words after "No Blacks." Jews, just like the word Blacks, Christians, Hispanics, etc. is not monolithic. There are many, many different types of ethnic, religious, and even atheist Jews.

I don't want to have to worry about dropping my kid off at Hebrew school. I don't want to have to worry about attending services and worshiping. I don't want to worry about feeling like an outsider in my own country, which my family for many generations has helped to serve and build. This is why I got my wear and carry license. This is why I train. This is why I will teach my kids to be aware and to protect themselves. They day of Jews not protecting themselves is now long gone. Believe that!

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Excellent post. There really are no large monolithic groups anywhere in human society, and attempts to deal with them in such a way, are usually the result of intellectual laziness.

I think you will find yourself very welcomed in this group. I personally am a (reformed) Roman Catholic who is also a member of Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Well, I may be 100% WASP, but I'm also a bona fide mensch according to several of my friends and colleagues in the legal community. My lapel pin 99% of the time is crossed US/Israeli flags. So...

Just point to any antisemitism on this forum and you'll have plenty of support against the offender.

Welcome!

-Rob

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I’m Jewish and once asked my dad why so many Jews were in the professions. He told me what his dad told him. That reasoning was due to throughout history Jews were discriminated against…had their property taken and kicked out and constantly forced to relocate.

So…to keep from losing everything that was a physical belonging they educated themselves into medicine, law or other professions where your skills were in your mind and couldn’t be taken away even if you had to move.

Not too different from what you said.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I grew up in a very small town in SW Nebraska, and I'm not sure if we had a Jewish population at all, so anything I knew about Jewish people came from history class - notably, WW II history.

With that said, I've never understood antisemitism. I know it exists, but for the life of me can't figure out why. It's not like I meet someone and I can instantly tell they are Jewish. I have a very good friend who is an awesome drummer and musician, and I knew him for a good long bit before I knew he was Jewish. (He didn't wear a yarmulke, so until it came up in conversation, there was no other way for me to know.)

For me I guess it's about the golden rule; treat others how I'd wish to be treated, and color, creed, religion, etc, don't really matter.

ProfessorÉ

Oct 29, 2022
    Boyds, MD
    Don’t you know me?

I’m the Goy next door, the one you find so easy to ignore

Is that what I was fighting for?

I’m Jewish and once asked my dad why so many Jews were in the professions. He told me what his dad told him. That reasoning was due to throughout history Jews were discriminated against…had their property taken and kicked out and constantly forced to relocate.

So…to keep from losing everything that was a physical belonging they educated themselves into medicine, law or other professions where your skills were in your mind and couldn’t be taken away even if you had to move.

Not too different from what you said.

Correct. That's also why we're in the diamond trade. Diamonds are light and portable and hold a lot of value.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Come on over for Shabbat dinner. I'm not fighting you. My invitation is serious.
    perhaps this may play into the secular and statist mindset of a lot of Jews- as well as with other religions. From I guy I have seen before.

Most Jewish people today are secular; for them, Judaism is not so much a religion as it is an identity, culture, and way of life. It’s like being Italian or Catholic for some people. Although they identify themselves with the culture, it doesn’t necessarily define their beliefs. With many Jewish people, it is very important to be identified with the Jewish culture, but it doesn’t necessarily define their belief in God.

Even though most Jewish men go through a bar mitzvah, oftentimes, afterwards they stop attending synagogue on a regular basis. You may hear a Jewish person say, “I’m Jewish from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet,” but to them, being Jewish doesn’t mean having a relationship with God. It’s just a cultural identity and a connection to the Jewish community.

My bar mitzvah, at the age of 13, was in a conservative Temple. In preparation for my bar mitzvah, I attended Hebrew school three times a week. The focus of my training was memorization of prayers, learning traditions, and reading Hebrew. I was never taught that I could have a personal relationship with God. My experience is not unique. Many temples do not teach the Jewish people that they can have a personal relationship with God. Their focus, basically, is tradition and reading Hebrew. Over the years it is not uncommon for Jewish people to drift into cults because their hunger for God often isn’t satisfied through traditional Jewish education

Not long ago, one of my family members attended Temple, and as she spoke from the pulpit about having a relationship with God, she was rebuked by the Rabbi, who told her that Jews cannot intimately know God; they can only follow His commandments. As a result of this Jewish mindset, my Hebrew school experience was devoid of nurturing a personal relationship with God.

ProfessorÉ

Oct 29, 2022
    Boyds, MD
    Don’t you know me?

I’m the Goy next door, the one you find so easy to ignore

Is that what I was fighting for?

FYI "Goy" means "other nation". It's not derogatory. One of our hymns is "lo yis a goy el goy cherev" nation shall not lift sword against nation.

Be nice and no one will ignore you.

ProfessorÉ

Oct 29, 2022
    Boyds, MD
    perhaps this may play into the secular and statist mindset of a lot of Jews- as well as with other religions. From I guy I have seen before.

Most Jewish people today are secular; for them, Judaism is not so much a religion as it is an identity, culture, and way of life. It’s like being Italian or Catholic for some people. Although they identify themselves with the culture, it doesn’t necessarily define their beliefs. With many Jewish people, it is very important to be identified with the Jewish culture, but it doesn’t necessarily define their belief in God.

Even though most Jewish men go through a bar mitzvah, oftentimes, afterwards they stop attending synagogue on a regular basis. You may hear a Jewish person say, “I’m Jewish from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet,” but to them, being Jewish doesn’t mean having a relationship with God. It’s just a cultural identity and a connection to the Jewish community.

My bar mitzvah, at the age of 13, was in a conservative Temple. In preparation for my bar mitzvah, I attended Hebrew school three times a week. The focus of my training was memorization of prayers, learning traditions, and reading Hebrew. I was never taught that I could have a personal relationship with God. My experience is not unique. Many temples do not teach the Jewish people that they can have a personal relationship with God. Their focus, basically, is tradition and reading Hebrew. Over the years it is not uncommon for Jewish people to drift into cults because their hunger for God often isn’t satisfied through traditional Jewish education

Not long ago, one of my family members attended Temple, and as she spoke from the pulpit about having a relationship with God, she was rebuked by the Rabbi, who told her that Jews cannot intimately know God; they can only follow His commandments. As a result of this Jewish mindset, my Hebrew school experience was devoid of nurturing a personal relationship with God.

That's unfortunate! There are many stupid rabbis just like they're are priests and pastors. Unfortunately, you ran into a stupid rabbi.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This site has thousands of members. Some are dicks. In general, the members here do a good job of policing their own and calling out BS if someone posts something bigoted. So, welcome. You'll just be another human on this site with an individual backstory.

If you're not a member already, check this organization out. It may be right up your alley.

ProfessorÉ

Oct 29, 2022
    Boyds, MD
    This site has thousands of members. Some are dicks. In general, the members here do a good job of policing their own and calling out BS if someone posts something bigoted. So, welcome. You'll just be another human on this site with an individual backstory.

If you're not a member already, check this organization out. It may be right up your alley.

Thanks! I'll check it out.
    I grew up in a very small town in SW Nebraska, and I'm not sure if we had a Jewish population at all, so anything I knew about Jewish people came from history class - notably, WW II history.

With that said, I've never understood antisemitism. I know it exists, but for the life of me can't figure out why. It's not like I meet someone and I can instantly tell they are Jewish. I have a very good friend who is an awesome drummer and musician, and I knew him for a good long bit before I knew he was Jewish. (He didn't wear a yarmulke, so until it came up in conversation, there was no other way for me to know.)

For me I guess it's about the golden rule; treat others how I'd wish to be treated, and color, creed, religion, etc, don't really matter.

It's uncanny, most people have never met a Jew, or if they did, they didn't know. Thanks for your support.

ProfessorÉ

Oct 29, 2022
    Boyds, MD
    Well, I may be 100% WASP, but I'm also a bona fide mensch according to several of my friends and colleagues in the legal community. My lapel pin 99% of the time is crossed US/Israeli flags. So...

Just point to any antisemitism on this forum and you'll have plenty of support against the offender.

Welcome!

-Rob

Thanks Rob! our buddy on this thread, Huckleberry, used the word "Goy" a non-derogatory word that means "other nation". Antisemitis on the Internet use it as code, hence the "Goyim Defense League" a hate group that spoofs the ADL.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    That's unfortunate! There are many stupid rabbis just like they're are priests and pastors. Unfortunately, you ran into a stupid rabbi.
    Perhaps not. I have known tons of Jewish people. I see this all the time, as well as from Christian religions, as well.

A lot of the ones I have known would not tell me why they vote Democrat and why they seem to hate Israel and their struggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom