• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Anyone seen or tried out this "wildcat" chambering from KAK yet?

Doesn't look too expensive to get into. $200 for an AR barrel, and $150 for a Redding die set. And $45 for a custom Wilson case gauge if you don't wanna plunk test using the barrel.

While it would be kinda cool to have a 4000+ fps rifle, I can't come up with a use scenario other than "range toy." Not too many varmint hunting opportunities near where I live. . .

Thoughts?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The juice is not worth the squeeze, IMHO. You'd have to be an extremely committed varmint-shooter to decide the 30gr is just too slow out of an AR, and you really need 20-25gr instead. :P Barrel burnout from this is also probably a real thing. 4500fps is smoking fast.

Like, if you want to go reload a niche caliber for the lulz, go reload 300 BLK like everyone else. :P

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Does it have any real gain over a 204 Ruger in an AR? Not saying it is bad, but that was my first thought.

What is the real gain over .17 Remington ?

Seems like the only difference is using original 5.56 shoulder point , possibly resulting in shorter neck ?

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    The juice is not worth the squeeze, IMHO. You'd have to be an extremely committed varmint-shooter to decide the 30gr is just too slow out of an AR, and you really need 20-25gr instead. :P Barrel burnout from this is also probably a real thing. 4500fps is smoking fast.

Like, if you want to go reload a niche caliber for the lulz, go reload 300 BLK like everyone else. :P
    I don't really have lulz to fill; I already reload 5.56 Nato, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 7.62x39 (.308" barrel), 350 Legend, 9x39 (.366 bullets), and 450 Bushmaster for AR15. So I pretty much have the normal and the slow/heavy end covered.

I will never own a 300 BLK.

I'm guessing the 17-556 has a barrel life of around 2000 rounds. So with a $200 barrel, every trigger pull is probably eating up around 10 cents worth of barrel life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom