• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    Is it normal to get such good looking rifles from Aim Surplus? I've never bought from them and would be afraid to buy a rifle blind, but wow that one is beautiful.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Is it normal to get such good looking rifles from Aim Surplus? I've never bought from them and would be afraid to buy a rifle blind, but wow that one is beautiful.

I got a "K-11" from them recently, as soon as they posted this last batch of Swiss rifles. It's not QUITE as nice as the one in the video, but it is close.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    I don't think that it was a coincidence that he got a good looking rifle. Seems like it would get people paying the "best of five" fee. Surprised he didn't get the rifle for free.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    I don't think that it was a coincidence that he got a good looking rifle. Seems like it would get people paying the "best of five" fee. Surprised he didn't get the rifle for free.

Do you find that the "best of five" or "hand pick" options offered by sites like this is usually not worth the extra few bucks?

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Do you find that the "best of five" or "hand pick" options offered by sites like this is usually not worth the extra few bucks?

I typically pay the extra fee for the handpick. I have been happy so far. However, you really never know if you would have gotten the same gun or worse without the hand pick. Abulg did a hand pick on his IG1911 and got serial number 6, so I'm sure he is happy with that extra fee.

I do feel that when the batches are first released you would do better with the handpick since they have a larger number to pick from. If they have had them in inventory for a while, then your chances of getting something nicer diminishes since you are getting towards the end of the batch. So the lesson is buy early :)

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    If they have had them in inventory for a while, then your chances of getting something nicer diminishes since you are getting towards the end of the batch. So the lesson is buy early :)

Makes sense. I am always late to the party :sad20:

DennisCA

Simpsons, LTD is the way to go!

I bought a K-11 Carbine from them about a year ago (all matching including the bayonet) and the reason I like them is because their guns are listen individually.
    Which means what you see is what you get - no getting a gun from a batch.
    My K-11:
    G4tC4v.jpg

62cj.jpg

IMHO -It looks pretty good!

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    I have looked at Simpsons. I do like their site, was just wondering about Aim as another option. Decent chance I will get a K31 or K11 from Simpsons as a graduation present for myself.

Dennis - Looks great! Even the bolt knobs are in good condition!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I typically pay the extra fee for the handpick. I have been happy so far. However, you really never know if you would have gotten the same gun or worse without the hand pick. Abulg did a hand pick on his IG1911 and got serial number 6, so I'm sure he is happy with that extra fee.

I do feel that when the batches are first released you would do better with the handpick since they have a larger number to pick from. If they have had them in inventory for a while, then your chances of getting something nicer diminishes since you are getting towards the end of the batch. So the lesson is buy early :)

I always pay it, too. I think it just depends on your luck that day.... Mostly in who is picking your firearm out of the lot. Is that person in a good mood, do they give a crap? Or are they pissy, tired, and off in space thinking about the beer they are going to drink the moment they get off work :)

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I don't have a million transactions on which to base advice but, to me, it's worth the $10-$20 and I have always been happy with what I've gotten. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference but my feeling is, why roll the dice over a few bucks.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013

Seems like you wouldn't be able to correctly asses value or lack thereof. Seems to me like they're asking "Would you like to pay some more?" If I were there in person, would I pay a fee to cherry pick from the best of an unopened unsorted case? Probably. Would I trust an internet retailer to cherry pick a rifle for me for a fee? Probably not.

The larger point is that I think he probably got the pick of the lot, not the pick of the case, based on his relationship with century arms international and previous videos he's done for currently available AIM surplus offerings. If he actually paid the advertised price for it, getting him a really nice rifle makes good marketing sense. The problem is it may not accurately represent the stock that remains at AIM.

Anyway, the skeptic in me says the video was pretty much a commercial. I'd be wary of the representations therein.

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    I like that guy. He has some pretty good videos.
    I got a K11 from Simpsons a while ago. Great to deal with. Import mark is barely noticeable and had a troop tag under the buttplate.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Speaking of K11s, I missed a heck of a deal today and am pretty annoyed! I found this mislabeled K11 earlier in the week, confirmed that it was matching, with no import mark and a solid stock without cracks. I submitted the winning bid at $200 an proxibid said "bid submitted you're the high bidder." Next thing I know, the system says that my bid was removed and the item was sold for $190. It turns out the auctioneer dropped the hammer before the software transmitted my bid to the house. Oh well, I don't need a 3rd one. Someone got a heck of a deal. There were some nice guns at this auction that went for very low prices.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=882&aid=92797&lid=23858039&rfpb=0#Top

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom