• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    It's been awhile since I've reloaded anything (only reloaded rifle cases before).
    I got my first handgun this April and I have some spent cases I can reload now.I made 100 rounds of 45acp Hornady 200gr HP/XTP. Used Bullseye and CCI large pistol primers.
    I had a hard time finding a manufacture recipe for this set up, but low and behold the Lee die set I bought the data sheet had something:thumbsup:

I couldn't believe all the different COL's for the same bullet. It had me a little worried so I did 50 rounds at 1.215 and 1.230. My weak spot on reloading is crimping not sure if I'm getting it right? Do you check the crimp reading on the case just below the base of bullet? Also there's not a lot or official data for crimp:(

The gun and ammo worked great no issues. I don't have a coronagraph so don't know the FPS, but they feel stronger than the factory target loads 230 FMJRN that I've shot. The dam factory loads keep key holing, but the hand loads made a clean hole.

This has been time consuming (single stage set up) but worth it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Congrats on your first reloads.

You don't crimp smooth bullets. You crimp bullets with a cannalure.

Excellent news that it did shoot. Keep an eye on your brass for signs of overpressure.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    You don't crimp smooth bullets. You crimp bullets with a cannalure.
    Not necessarily true. Google it.

Op, your dies have a built in taper crimp, which is usually sufficient. You may need to crimp for other reasons, but if you are feeding good and don't experience any bullet setback due to recoil, your neck tension is fine. Don't mess with it, don't crimp and never roll crimp a 45.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    You didn't specify if you have the Lee 3 die set or the 4. If the 3, invest in the Lee .45 ACP Factory crimp die. Back out your bullet seating die until it just removes the belling from the case. Put the crimp die in as specified in the directions and feed your reloads. This will apply a perfect taper crimp to your rounds and cannot over crimp. I use a four station turret press so it's easier, but even w/ a single stage it's a sound choice.
    BTW...congrats and enjoy. Might want to look into either Ranier or Berry's copper plated bullets. Cheaper and the Lee handbook has loads of data for copper plated bullets.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If using a FCD, I find the easiest way to set your bullet seating die is to put in an empty case, turn your die out a few turns, run the ram with the case all the way to the top, slowly start screwing down the die till you feel the case resisting on the die (I often just watch the top of the arm handle to see if it moves. Once it moves or you feel it, back it off 1/2 turn. Tighten down the die. If you have a set screw, tighten it. I like to have my bullet seating dies lock so I either get a nut with a set screw or I use the lock ring eliminator for breech lock (I have a Lee Press) for Rifles. I have 2 presses though and my rotating Lyman has the 9mm which never leaves it. My FCD is just a "kiss".

I'm only repeating this but I"ve read that if you crimp too much on a simple copper jacketed bullet (I get mine from xtreme bullets), then the jacket can rip off while the bullet exits the case.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Yup, taper crimp for semi auto pistol. Just a hair.
    I like my Dillon dies for 45 ACP.
    The Lee FCD is nice for picky 9mm.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    You didn't specify if you have the Lee 3 die set or the 4. If the 3, invest in the Lee .45 ACP Factory crimp die. Back out your bullet seating die until it just removes the belling from the case. Put the crimp die in as specified in the directions and feed your reloads. This will apply a perfect taper crimp to your rounds and cannot over crimp. I use a four station turret press so it's easier, but even w/ a single stage it's a sound choice.
    BTW...congrats and enjoy. Might want to look into either Ranier or Berry's copper plated bullets. Cheaper and the Lee handbook has loads of data for copper plated bullets.

LGoodwin I got the 3 die set that's the only one they had at BP. I tried setting up the die to give me the right COL and crimp for taking out the flare/belling? with one throw of the press handle, but I buckled 2 bullets :o. So I set the bullet seating screw and did COL first than I backed out the bullet seating screw and readjusted the die down just enough to get cam over feel on the press handle. Time consuming but trying to get it right.

The load seems good for my gun HK 45 full. The spent primer might of been just a tad flat so that's my sign to stay where I'm at for now.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    Guys is there a difference between a taper and roll crimp? I'm guessing a roll crimp goes on the cannelure or over the bullet shoulder if it doesn't have cannelure? Taper crimp with the case lip on the side of the bullet I can't picture because I'm guessing you don't want to deform the bullet side?

Thanks

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Roll crimp is not good for straight wall semi auto rounds. They headspace on the case mouth, so the roll crimp effectively shortens the case. Only taper crimp.

And if you want to measure, you want to measure right at the case mouth and then about halfway down the bullet. The two measurements should be the same.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Take a look at this picture I stole from the Internet.
    Basically the taper crimp keeps the mouth of the shell casing square to the chamber. As has been said the 45 ACP round head-spaces on the case mouth. So using a roll crimp the round could be Shoved in too hard which would actually put more pressure on the case, increasing pressure inside the round. Which is a BAD thing.

Attachments

• crimp.jpg
      crimp.jpg
      4 KB · Views: 112

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    LGoodwin I got the 3 die set that's the only one they had at BP. I tried setting up the die to give me the right COL and crimp for taking out the flare/belling? with one throw of the press handle, but I buckled 2 bullets :o. So I set the bullet seating screw and did COL first than I backed out the bullet seating screw and readjusted the die down just enough to get cam over feel on the press handle. Time consuming but trying to get it right.

The load seems good for my gun HK 45 full. The spent primer might of been just a tad flat so that's my sign to stay where I'm at for now.

Try FS Reloading for Lee equipment. They seem to have items in stock that nobody else has. Found my 9x18 Makarov crimp die there.
    https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-carbide-factory-crimp-die-.45-acp-90864.html. $18 plus shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom