• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shedding

Mar 17, 2013
    I just sent an email to the members of the MD judcisary commitee. Wonder if I will get a reply?

I was just inquiring to see if you were aware of the situation that we are expeirencing here in the state of Maryland with regards to to our mandatory 7 day wait period for the purchase of a regulated firearm. It appears that the backlog at the MD Sate Police has casued this required wait period to exceed the 7 week mark now with no end in sight. I am sure you are well aware of the passage of SB281. With the looming deadline of 1 OCT 2013 as a cutoff date, coupled with the oppressive wait time that is being impossed on us, we are having our rights guaranteed under the second ammendment of the constution of the United States of America severly limited. With this impending deadline our rights to own certain firearms and collectble items will be terminated forever. I feel as if this is a clear violation and urgently demands your immediate attention. In my opinion, something needs to be done to hasten this process so as not to further impede law abiding citizens of the state of Maryland with the acquisitionof our said purchases.
    I welcome your comments and general thoughts on this matter, and I thank you in advance for any and all help that you can provide to your constituents.

yournamehere

Feb 27, 2013
    Carroll County
    I emailed Senator Kittleman and Delegate Krebs last week. This is the response I received from the Senator's office today:

"Diane Wilson here for Senator Kittleman. He asked me to contact the Maryland State Police and ask them how to expedite this tedious process. We have heard from them today and they indicate that they have been allocated an additional 55 personnel to handle the processing of the background checks and other paperwork.

As you know, Senator Kittleman voted against the gun bill.

Please feel free to contact Senator Kittleman if he can assist you in the future.

Diane Wilson, District Representative
    Senator Allan Kittleman"

Still no response from Delegate Krebs

Shedding

Mar 17, 2013
    So far I've gotten canned email response "thanks for writing. We get tons of email blah blah blah". Still waiting.

Shedding

Mar 17, 2013
    First uncanned response i got,

Dear Mr. Sheely,

I have spoken to our legislative contact at the Maryland State Police on this current backlog, and he has explained that they are currently paying $40,000 - $60,000 per month in overtime to civilian and trooper personnel. The licensing division is working 24 hours a day, 7 days of the week in an effort to process the paperwork.

In the budget that just passed the General Assembly, the MD State Police (MSP) have been allocated additional funds, but that budget will not go into effect until July 1, 2013. At that time there will be additional personnel hired to help handle the excessive paperwork. It’s important to note that this is a paper process, not electronic. The effort to switch to an electronic system (which would obviously speed the process), will also begin once the new budget takes effect July 1st. Unfortunately, this transition will take time, (current estimate is one year) and therefore will not affect the backlog in the near future.

The final thought I was left with is that as long as gun sales continue at the current brisk pace, the MSP will not be able to catch up. I wish I had better news. Please feel free to call the office should you desire further discussion.

Sincerely,

Kerry Doyle
    Legislative Aide
    Senator Edward R. Reilly
    District 33, Anne Arundel County
    phone (410) 841-3568
    fax (410) 841-3067

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    The thing is, they have increased personnel, increased office equipment, and apps have slowed down since the initial onslaught, and now they're further behind.:confused:

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

MarylandDave

Nov 24, 2010
    PRM / HoCo
    First uncanned response i got,
    The final thought I was left with is that as long as gun sales continue at the current brisk pace, the MSP will not be able to catch up. I wish I had better news.

Not good. And, it's going to get worse as we get closer to the looming Oct 1 deadline. O'Malley and the MSP are basically giving us the middle finger and we're just going to sit here and take it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    i have been emailing Tony Odonnel a few times this morning trying to get an answer. at least he is responding and forwarding my emails to the msp and trying to get an answer. no canned response from him.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    well after my delegate forwarded my e mail and complaints to the msp all i got was an apology type letter and it said they are "busy"

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Vote the bums out!

Pardon the temporary hijack, but maybe later this year, I may have some of these made up for sale:

2014.png
    Figure it would nice to torment them by seeing them on cars all over the state. I'll post a thread later to gauge the interest.

MH

ankrklankr

I just sent an email to the members of the MD judcisary commitee. Wonder if I will get a reply?

I was just inquiring to see if you were aware of the situation that we are expeirencing here in the state of Maryland with regards to to our mandatory 7 day wait period for the purchase of a regulated firearm. It appears that the backlog at the MD Sate Police has casued this required wait period to exceed the 7 week mark now with no end in sight. I am sure you are well aware of the passage of SB281. With the looming deadline of 1 OCT 2013 as a cutoff date, coupled with the oppressive wait time that is being impossed on us, we are having our rights guaranteed under the second ammendment of the constution of the United States of America severly limited. With this impending deadline our rights to own certain firearms and collectble items will be terminated forever. I feel as if this is a clear violation and urgently demands your immediate attention. In my opinion, something needs to be done to hasten this process so as not to further impede law abiding citizens of the state of Maryland with the acquisitionof our said purchases.
    I welcome your comments and general thoughts on this matter, and I thank you in advance for any and all help that you can provide to your constituents.

It sounds a bit defeatist. Especially the sentence, "With this impending deadline our rights to own certain firearms and collectble items will be terminated forever." There are still a lot of good people working diligently to combat this insult to our Constitution and to us as law abiding citizens, and comments like that don't help them much.

Remember what the Berra said, "It ain't over 'til it's over." And this one is a looong way from being over.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Interested

Pardon the temporary hijack, but maybe later this year, I may have some of these made up for sale:

View attachment 82381
    Figure it would nice to torment them by seeing them on cars all over the state. I'll post a thread later to gauge the interest.

MH

I can already tell you, I will want a few. We need to make sure they know what they are seeing also, in case they did not get the message when ignoring us in Annapolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom