• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I just stopped by Big Dog, in Dahlgren, VA, and they've got 3 crates of Mosins in. They aren't on sale just yet, because they need to be entered into their system, priced, etc. I didn't look at all of them, but saw some nice all-matching hex receivers, all-matching Tulas, and overall really good rifles.

I don't know how they will end up being priced, but the guy isn't able to get them for any less than someone with a C&R who can afford to buy them by the crate. He's got shipping on top of that, and he's got to make a profit. I suspect that they are going to be a few bucks higher than someone can order one with a C&R, but here's the big difference: you won't be getting pot luck from someplace that leaves you stuck with something you don't like. You can pick out the one that you want, or decide that you don't want any of them. It's well worth a few bucks to me to be able to do my own hand-select.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Thanks for the heads up. The luxury of cherry picking from several crates is well worth paying a premium.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    OK ... just got off the phone with a guy who works there. He said that they have the bayonet, oiler, and "the little metal tool parts", so I guess that means the combination tool, cleaning rod guide, and maybe some other stuff. He said there wasn't the green canvas pouch for the tools. I'm assuming (forgot to ask) that there will be a couple of cartridge pouches. I'll probably go by there later today, and will find out for sure.

EDIT - UPDATE

No slings, cartridge cases, or tool pouches, but the oilers and basic tools are there.

What I think far more than compensates for that, though (and this is relatively unusual), is that most of the rifles that you get from online dealers do not have numbers-matching bayonets. One of the things that this shop owner is doing now is going through the bayonets in each case and matching them to the correct rifles, so there should be several all-matching-numbers, including bayonet, in this batch.

I took a couple of photos today. There are quite a few good-looking round-receiver Izzys, but there are also several hex-receivers and Tulas, too.

I love pictures of stacks of Mosins! The ones in the crates are mostly Izzy rounds, and those in the wall racks are Tulas, hexes, and Tula hexes. The owner also has some empty crates (or will have) that he'll sell.

Attachments

• SAM_1450.jpg
      SAM_1450.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 247
    • SAM_1451.jpg
      SAM_1451.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 244
    • SAM_1457.jpg
      SAM_1457.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 238
    • SAM_1456.jpg
      SAM_1456.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 248
    • SAM_1455.jpg
      SAM_1455.jpg
      86.5 KB · Views: 247
    • SAM_1454.jpg
      SAM_1454.jpg
      92.1 KB · Views: 237
    • SAM_1453.jpg
      SAM_1453.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 251
    Last edited:

Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    Bought a Mosin Nagant a few weeks ago, cleaned it up, oiled it and ordered some Herter's 7.62 x 54R 148gr FMJ. Haven't fired a rife for year but on seeing it in the store and knowing of the 505 kills in 100 days during WWII using an iron sight i just had to try it. Went to the range to test it today. Mag was sticking so i had to hand feed it. I put my target at 15m, i know it's a sissy range but I was hoping to just hit the target, anywhere on the target for my first shot and not have any issues with the rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 224

Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    To my surprise a hole in one, went to 25m and had the same result. At 50m I was we'll into the black but the shots were all on the same side. I love this ugly beat up Mosin and can't wait to go back to the range. Cartridges cost me 74 cents each for non-corrosive. I would recommend everyone have one.

Now I'm looking for an original scout scope were there any in the boxes?

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    movement

Hmmmm just felt a "little movement" with this thread. Not sure if it was the mosins or the girl with a gun...:innocent0 You think a MO marked rifle is in there somewhere? How much $ premium does a MO bring? I received one by luck of the draw a couple years back.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    What do you think they would run a rifle?

I don't know any exact prices. They are going to be priced according to scarcity, with the hexes and matching Tulas being a bit more. As I posted earlier, the guy basically has to pay the same thing as anyone else with a C&R has to pay for a crate, and there's only a couple of bucks savings per rifle if you buy them by the crate. You can't make only $2-3 on a rifle and pay the rent, so he's going to have to make the profit by charging a bit more for the hexes, Tulas, etc. He's also going to make some on selling the crates. Prices are one of the things that he's working out now.

I can only say that, although I could have done a little better in price in the past by ordering "crap shoot" rifles online, I've been very happy with the prices that I've paid there in the past for rifles that I've been able to select on my own. He's still got some primo Sino-Soviet SKSs there, but I can't afford all of them.

Bring cash. He can work with you more if he doesn't have to pay the credit card service charges.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Fair enough ive seen them go for 70 to 500 i guess those crates can vary widely

I don't work there, and haven't any control over pricing, but know that the guy isn't going to try to screw anyone on any of these. The days of the $70 Mosin are far in the rear-view mirror, and I don't think he's got any that he's thinking are worth anywhere near the $500 mark.

I'm guessing that, if you figured out what it would cost someone with a C&R to:
    • Buy the rifle online
    • Pay shipping
    • pay a hand-select fee

You'd be within a very few bucks of what it's going to cost you to do your own selection out of a large batch of rifles. On top of that, you won't be obligated to take what they shipped you after you paid for something sight unseen. You can walk away without committing a penny. When you order online, you are pretty much stuck with what they decide to send you.

Plus, most of these should be all-matching refurbs with a matching bayonet! I think that's pretty cool.

With the exception of some that were in the top row of one crate, and got some rub marks from shipping when a divider broke, these are just beautiful rifles. I've ordered several Mosins online, and only rarely have I gotten any that arrived looking as nice as these. Most had nicks or rubs. The majority of these are pristine, or close to it.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Tackle box had them for $219 three left.
    Comwells had them to $189 got the last one.
    The old guy is right, big five prices are gone

These should be in that range, or maybe a bit better. Always ask a dealer if they'll do better on the price for a cash sale. They usually price them with a buffer to anticipate the cost of 3% credit card processing, and are often willing to come down that much, since their profit is the same. All they can say is, "Sorry, no."

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    damn thats nearly a 3 hr drive for me. But Id love to get a nice Tula. I have 3 great looking Izzys. I should sell 2 and git down there and pick one up..... sigh...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Now I'm looking for an original scout scope were there any in the boxes?

You'll spend as much $$ buying a sniper scope and drilling it out and mounting it, cutting stock etc as you would buying a rearsinal PU sniper.

Enjoy the mosin in it's original configuration I recommend for a while before looking to scope it. you will likely appreciate it for what it is and possibly leave it be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom