Just got your Wear & Carry? So what's next?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Plus, the guy doesn't want to say where he worked as an LEO or got his experience.
    "Federal law enforcement" means nothing.
    He says nothing about his experience or why people should train with him.
    People like to know what someone's bonafides are.

I can say I "Worked with the Rockettes", but that doesn't mean I can dance.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I think one of the most important things when checking out instructors is hearing from those who took the course. Testimonials are cool and all but hearing it direct from someone who experienced the instructor can speak volumes.

As far as prerequisite stuff, I only ask them to have some experience which can be a variety of things. If they are brand new that doesn’t stop me from teaching them, but I offer to give them some experience.

I have got to meet many people who shoot well and have big backgrounds, but don’t know how to teach at all. It’s not something you can just do.

TD

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is something to having a deep background and wide knowledge to dip into as needed vs only knowing what they learned in Instructor Class last month .

But being highly skilled with big time tacti ninja background doesn't inherently give the ability to * teach * , and plenty of non LE , non combat vets are excellent teachers .

The caveat is that IF they are going to promote themselves on the basis of " I'm former ( fill in the blank ) " , they need to be upfront about the details of ( fill in the blank ) .

If they hold themselves forth to the effect of " I'm knowledgeable in XYZ skills , and can teach them competently " and make no selling point of former or current day job , that's cool also .

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    In my opinion, the O.P. isn't helping the I.P. get business.

That being said I never understood firearm instructors requiring prerequisites.

Taking basic classes does not make someone safe, it just means they completed a class. A 2 day or week long class does not make someone perpetually safe or skilled.

I don't care about the level of training my students have. Students have nothing to prove to me. I have to prove myself to them.
    Sometimes the "prerequisites" are there to inform the student of what skill level they are expected to have in order to benefit from the class (and not hold back the rest of the class).

Had I taken Shoothouse at Alliance Police Training right off the heels of W&C, I would have been in WAY over my head.

The prerequisites allow the instructor to be at least REASONABLY sure that the student will be safe with their gun, knows basic manipulations, etc. In a two-day combative pistol class I'd expect to cover reloads, malfunctions, etc. I wouldn't expect to be doing these in a class like Will Petty's Vehicle CQB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom