Just got your Wear & Carry? So what's next?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    OK, so, like me, you recently took a class - maybe a good one, maybe like the one I took, not so good. But you did get your MD Wear & Carry permit. So now you're certified ready to carry, to defend yourself and others from the bad guys, right?

Not!

Now you need some actual defensive handgun training, from someone with extensive experience in law enforcement, and in firearms training. I know I do, and I won't feel like I'm ready until I've had a lot more training than just the mediocre Wear & Carry class I took last October.

My buddy Kirby Bowling, a new MD Shooters Industry Partner, has the credentials and the experience - both in military and federal law enforcement, as well as in firearms and defensive training. Kirby has two more openings in his upcoming Defensive Pistol training class scheduled for this coming Monday, June 5, the first in a series of three classes which will greatly enhance my -- and maybe your -- defensive handgun skills, and readiness for that moment that we all hope will never come, but inevitably for a few of us will.

Below is a link to the course description and instructions on how to register for the class. Hope to see you there Monday!

Defensive Pistol Series - 5 June, 3 July, 14 Aug

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    OK, so, like me, you recently took a class - maybe a good one, maybe like the one I took, not so good. But you did get your MD Wear & Carry permit. So now you're certified ready to carry, to defend yourself and others from the bad guys, right?

Not!

Now you need some actual defensive handgun training, from someone with extensive experience in law enforcement, and in firearms training. I know I do, and I won't feel like I'm ready until I've had a lot more training than just the mediocre Wear & Carry class I took last October.

My buddy Kirby Bowling, a new MD Shooters Industry Partner, has the credentials and the experience - both in military and federal law enforcement, as well as in firearms and defensive training. Kirby has two more openings in his upcoming Defensive Pistol training class scheduled for this coming Monday, June 5, the first in a series of three classes which will greatly enhance my -- and maybe your -- defensive handgun skills, and readiness for that moment that we all hope will never come, but inevitably for a few of us will.

Below is a link to the course description and instructions on how to register for the class. Hope to see you there Monday!

Defensive Pistol Series - 5 June, 3 July, 14 Aug
    You should mention he wants people to have NRA basic defensive pistol class as a prerequisite. Which many people don't.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You should mention he wants people to have NRA basic defensive pistol class as a prerequisite. Which many people don't.
    There are a few W&C classes that use the NRA BP course as part of their curriculum. Mine did.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Two points:

1. It says "NRA Basic Pistol class", not Basic "Defensive" Pistol class. There is a difference. There are two NRA Defensive classes - Outside the Home and Inside the Home - that are more advanced. I've taken all three - the latter two with Kirby. The Basic Pistol class is very basic, not primarily defensive shooting-oriented.

2. The course description does say "or equivalent". Maybe Kirby can elaborate on that a bit to clarify that the NRA class is not an absolute requirement. But if you haven't either taken the Basic Pistol class or had equivalent experience, you probably wouldn't fit well in Kirby's more advanced pistol classes. It would be like registering for a calculus class before you've learned basic arithmetic.

Last edited:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    You know what I did next after getting my W&C, I wear and carry. If you feel you need more training, by all means go get more training. You do want you feel you need to do.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    My "next" was to get a ccw insurance. Just sharing so people new to carrying (like myself) can think about it. We have a lot of threads here about why it is important, etc.
    Included in the todo/next list is more training.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know monthly classes that change scenarios and don't suck up your whole day. And then there's Birria after!

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    You know what I did next after getting my W&C, I wear and carry. If you feel you need more training, by all means go get more training. You do want you feel you need to do.
    Done.
    My "next" was to get a ccw insurance. Just sharing so people new to carrying (like myself) can think about it. We have a lot of threads here about why it is important, etc.
    Included in the todo/next list is more training.
    Done.

Basically doing everything I had been doing including non-lethal, only now with a last resort option.

More advanced classes do sound fun though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom