• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I just got back from shooting it at Cresap and, as expected, it was great. I put about 80 rounds through it and there was no malfunction of any kind. My first target was a bit rough since the only other handguns I have a lot of experience on all have single-action triggers, but I got used to it, and my second target was all within the inner colored region on a Cresap target, with a fair number of bullseyes. I'm happy!

The recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, even though it is a Compact. I could shoot it all day long. The three dot sights are nice, and easier to align than the matte black sights on my 1911. The magazine with the added pinkie finger support on it was much easier to shoot with than the magazine with the flat bottom.

All in all, I'm definitely happy with it, and as soon as I get some full sized mags with grid adapters and defensive ammo, it's going to replace my 1911 as my home defense pistol.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    I'm hoping to shoot the M&P c and the XD(m) 3.8c this week so I can finally pull the trigger on which one I'm getting.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    All in all, I'm definitely happy with it, and as soon as I get some full sized mags with grid adapters and defensive ammo, it's going to replace my 1911 as my home defense pistol.

Do you feel your M&P will be more reliable than your 1911? Just wondering why your choosing to make that your primary HD gun.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I love the M&P. I have the M&P in 9, 40(.357) and 45. I however have full size versions of each and when I leave the Communist Republic of Marylandistan I carry the full size. Typically I'm actually carrying the 4.5" (.45) because its the only one with night sights.... and IMHO, in Self Defense, if it's not a .45 you're doing it wrong. (Ref: http://oldnortheast.patch.com/articles/applebees-diner-shoots-mugger. What we learn here, is 4 rounds of .380 didn't kill him, but 4 rounds of .45 Surely would..... Just sayin

Although I agree a .45 would be far more effective than a .380 in many/most circumstances, you should listen to this LEO, who has been in multiple gunfights and killed 5 bad guys. Pay particular attention to the part where he and his coworker emptied a .45 and I believe a .44 Special into a guy point-blank and he didn't go down until a shot to his kneecap.

http://proarmspodcast.com/2010/05/23/052-interview-with-bob-stasch-of-the-chicago-police-department/

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Do you feel your M&P will be more reliable than your 1911? Just wondering why your choosing to make that your primary HD gun.

I've had two separate reliability issues on the RIA 1911 Tactical. The first reliability issue was that it was jamming on feeding the last round out of the magazine when it was new from the factory. That problem went away over time as I wore it in, and also when I realized that I was pressing my thumb against the slide when I was holding it. I've since moved my thumb farther out on the safety so it's not touching the slide, and I haven't had the same problem in hundreds of rounds, but it's always in the back of my mind, and in a true home defense situation, I probably won't be able to focus on the grip so much, so who knows what will happen.

The second reliability problem is that, twice, I was holding the gun at the range, pulled the trigger, and nothing happened. Both times it turns out I wasn't holding the grip correctly, and thus the grip safety wasn't engaged, but if I can mess that up at the range, when I'm theoretically able to focus completely on doing it properly, who's to say what will happen in a self-defense situation? I don't want any chance of my gun not going bang when I want it to. The M&P does not have a grip safety.

And the other reason I have more faith in the M&P is a matter of simple capacity. My 1911 does 8+1. The M&P with the full-size magazine and grip adapter does 17+1. That's twice as many rounds before having to reload. That could easily make a huge difference in an encounter. And with modern expanding tip defensive ammunition, 9 mm and .45 ACP are of roughly equal effectiveness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom