• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I don't really have a photo ready, but heck, if you've seen one M&P9c you've seen 'em all.

At first I thought I wanted one without a thumb safety, but I found a great deal at Kentucky Gun Co ($412 shipped) and they only had the models with the thumb safeties, and now that I have it on hand, I actually kind of like the thumb safety, just because it means I can use exactly the same thumbs-forward grip as I use on my 1911. Without that safety to rest my upper thumb on I don't think I'd be as confident in the grip.

And secondly, I just found out about these X-GRIP adapters to use a 17-round full-size M&P magazine with an M&P9c. Anyone have experience with these? Do they work well? They seem like a great idea for range use and home defense (more weight = less recoil, larger grip = better control over recoil, higher capacity = better for defense). If they actually do work well I'll definitely get a couple.

This is my first polymer-framed pistol as well. I'm excited for a chance to bring it out to the range, and it's also my lightest handgun by far, so hopefully the women I've tried to take shooting will be able to handle it better (they've all complained so far about how heavy my 1911 and S&W 617 are, even though it's the weight that keeps the felt recoil down).

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I'm thinking hard about a 9c for my carry gun when I wouldn't have my 1911SC bobtail. Good choice. Not sure it's worth it for me to go with a smaller Shield compared to a 9c or not...

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    You will really like the M&P. I own a M&P 45C and carry it daily. I also use the X grip adapters with it. When I carry in uniform, I use the large mag with the adapter and when I carry concealed, I use the compact mags. The adapters are well made and the look is factory. When the large mags are in my .45, you can"t even tell that the adapter is being used. Have fun with your new toy.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I'm thinking hard about a 9c for my carry gun when I wouldn't have my 1911SC bobtail. Good choice. Not sure it's worth it for me to go with a smaller Shield compared to a 9c or not...

I ordered the M&P9c a week before the Shield was announced, alas. It definitely would have entered consideration had it been out when I placed this order. A buddy of mine has the small Kel-Tec or whatever, but it feels cheap, and the controls on it suck. With an M&P, however, there is no compromise.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I own 3 MP...both a full size 9 and .40 and a compact in .40.

They are GREAT guns and I really like them...wouldnt think twice about buying another one.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    It was pretty much down to either a Glock 19 or an M&P9c (both of which seem to do equally well quality and reliability-wise). What it came down to was (a) the M&P simply looks better (superficial, I know), and (b) I'd rather buy a gun made in America than one made in Austria. The damn thing already shoots a Kraut cartridge, I don't need the gun itself to be Kraut as well :lol2:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It was pretty much down to either a Glock 19 or an M&P9c (both of which seem to do equally well quality and reliability-wise). What it came down to was (a) the M&P simply looks better (superficial, I know), and (b) I'd rather buy a gun made in America than one made in Austria. The damn thing already shoots a Kraut cartridge, I don't need the gun itself to be Kraut as well :lol2:

Funny you mention that...I'm debating about picking up a G23 to replace the MP40C.

I dont think you can go wrong with either...and yes the SW does look better.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have the M&P9c and it is one of my favorites. I have 4 full sized M&P9 mags, all original Smith and Wesson mags. I have one X Grip adapter. Three of my four full sized mags have a square on the bottom where you press to remove the floor plate, one has a circle there. I had read that the full sized mags with circles on the bottom are better somehow. Turns out, only the mag with the circle can be fully inserted into the gun using the Xgrip adapter. The three mags with squares will not fully insert. All four will insert fine with no Xgrip adapter. Something to think about.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I own 3 MP...both a full size 9 and .40 and a compact in .40.

They are GREAT guns and I really like them...wouldnt think twice about buying another one.

I like the way you think... I also have a 40, 40c, 9c (currently lent to my father for carry after his G27 was stolen) and I just bought a full size 9 w/ the factory threaded barrel kit (well, actually I reserved it while waiting for my Maryland 30 day wait to pass :sad20:).

For what they are and their price point, I can't say enough good things about these guns and the way they feel and shoot.

That said, to the OP, if you did your research, I'm sure you have seen discussions of the trigger feel and reset. To be fair, the trigger is a bit notchy, has a fair amount of creep (though it's no worse than comparable guns) and the reset is ambiguous. If they bother you, these issues are very easy to fix with relatively cheap aftermarket parts for companies like APEX.

Good luck with your new purchase! :thumbsup:

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Yeah, I'm going to wear the trigger in by shooting it first, and if it doesn't improve too much within several hundred rounds, I'll start seriously thinking about aftermarket parts. Right now I've still only dry-fired it, but yeah, it doesn't have a clean break.

'Course it's not even fair to compare it against the trigger on my 1911, hehe.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I really liked my M&P9C for the first 15 shots or so, that is until the front sight walked off center. :( Hopefully it will come back from S&W this week and I can go shoot it again this weekend. So keep an eye on the front sight post, I hear that problem is fairly common. Other than that, I really like it.

I've got the two compact mags that came with it, as well as one full size mag my wife bought me on a whim, and an X-Grip adapter on the way.

I got it as a range toy/home defense/potential carry weapon, and I thought I'd hate the shorty compact mags, but honestly the way my fingers fall (big hands), I don't really mind them. I might even swap the floor plate with the pinky extender out for another flat one, so that I have two flat compact mags and one full size with the grip extender.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I love the M&P. I have the M&P in 9, 40(.357) and 45. I however have full size versions of each and when I leave the Communist Republic of Marylandistan I carry the full size. Typically I'm actually carrying the 4.5" (.45) because its the only one with night sights.... and IMHO, in Self Defense, if it's not a .45 you're doing it wrong. (Ref: http://oldnortheast.patch.com/articles/applebees-diner-shoots-mugger. What we learn here, is 4 rounds of .380 didn't kill him, but 4 rounds of .45 Surely would..... Just sayin'

Edit: I usually carry concealed with an IWB holster (from S&W's website) it works fairly well, and with a decently loose fitting polo I can prevent "most" printing problems. Other times I carry with my BH Serpa L2 CQC Holster (when not too worried about total concealment)..

I am looking at getting a 3-slot with thumb break.... any one have opinions on that? (Not trying to hijack... but the topic is about M&Ps and Concealed Carry so.....)

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Congratulations on your new toy!

I'm sure you'll enjoy; keep us posted on the fun.

Meanwhile, I'm chomping at the bit for the 7-day waiting period to end before I can pick up my S&W M&P22.

The new Shield looks awesome too....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom