• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Because everything about his life including clearances held, offices worked, as well as physical descriptions of he and his family members has been compromised. if you do not think that places him at a higher risk then I dont know what will. Even the MSP is now agreeing with the statement.

I partially agree with you assessment that someone in the military may be at higher risk, overall.

However, most people are looking at the entirety of the situation(ccw) under the pretense of fear of common criminals. You are MUCH more likely to be mugged, robbed, attacked, etc by some random thug than you are to have a secret terrorist op looking to take you out based off of info gleaned from the opm hack or some isis source.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    This board is amazing sometimes, more so than not. SO someone gets a permit and is looking for additional information and people attack and make off mark comments pertaining to him here for it. The guy is looking for information in order to remain on the right side of the law because as we all know, the laws in this state are difficult to understand. Give him a break, get off your high horse, and provide information if useful.

^^^^^^
    This. It amazes me how quickly some on this forum jump to beat down anyone who accomplishes what we are all fighting for.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    ^^^^^^
    This. It amazes me how quickly some on this forum jump to beat down anyone who accomplishes what we are all fighting for.

I'll admit, I participated in that. :(

It is wrong, but all I'll say is it definitely stems from a bit of frustration and jealousy. No excuse though. :smack:

There are loads of us that know the ins and outs of the process. Though we don't profess to know everything, a LOT of time has been spent. As much as I congratulate ANYONE who can get a permit, it feels like a kick in the nuts when it appears that someone doesn't even know what they have. :shrug:

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I partially agree with you assessment that someone in the military may be at higher risk, overall.

However, most people are looking at the entirety of the situation(ccw) under the pretense of fear of common criminals. You are MUCH more likely to be mugged, robbed, attacked, etc by some random thug than you are to have a secret terrorist op looking to take you out based off of info gleaned from the opm hack or some isis source.

Completely agree with everything you said. That being said, the part that is being missed here a bit is the reason utilized fits the bill for G&S. I dont agree at all with the permitting scheme here in Maryland. I personally think its outrageous. But with the condition of the board these days, if you can make the case, as far as a stretch as it may be, its a yes or no answer. If yes, the permit is cut. You know?

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    ^^^^^^

And members dont understand why more people are put off than wanting to jump in and lend a hand at rallies and such. Its because of the abrasiveness of some of the members towards new people who frequent here. I cant tell you how many times I have told people about this board and they reply with, "no thanks, I have been there before."

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I'll admit, I participated in that. :(

It is wrong, but all I'll say is it definitely stems from a bit of frustration and jealousy. No excuse though. :smack:

There are loads of us that know the ins and outs of the process. Though we don't profess to know everything, a LOT of time has been spent. As much as I congratulate ANYONE who can get a permit, it feels like a kick in the nuts when it appears that someone doesn't even know what they have. :shrug:

Yeah, I get that and its understandable. Its the system but the person who makes it through catches the hell most of the times. Its not directed at them but it is.

I have my formal hearing coming up. I dont want to publicly state when as I dont want any lingering eyes who frequent the MDS looking for past posts of mine. Hopefully I can hold my own in front of the board.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'm just not sure how being in the military, being stateside, being out and about in civilian clothing among the rest of us puts you at more risk than the rest of the population, unless you've got a neon sign on your body that screams "I'm In the Military"
    But congrats for getting the perverbial white elephant from Maryland.

Then you really need to read up on the valid threats that have been issued by ISIS ETAL... They specifically stated that they are targeting military members AND THEIR FAMILIES! Do you really believe that those military members can't be EASILY followed home from work?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Because everything about his life including clearances held, offices worked, as well as physical descriptions of he and his family members has been compromised. if you do not think that places him at a higher risk then I dont know what will. Even the MSP is now agreeing with the statement.

So as a veteran Myself and the thousands of other veterans in this state have never been compromised? The point I'm making is I'm sure he looks just like John Q. Citizen when he's not on duty and pretty much blends in with the crowd and I can't see where it justifies a permit on that basis.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

A random act of a criminal is not the same as an advertised and specific threat made by a world wide terrorist organization. Unless you have some very special quality which you can't tell us... No criminal is going to follow you home from work and target you and your entire family for death.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A lot of you gross me out with your behavior sometimes it's better to just shut your mouth!!!!

OP congrats on your permit and I hope you and your family always stay safe! Thank you for your service!! Lastly I appreciate you sharing your permit reasoning.......after being asked.....and I hope it may help others in their search for a permit.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    So as a veteran Myself and the thousands of other veterans in this state have never been compromised? The point I'm making is I'm sure he looks just like John Q. Citizen when he's not on duty and pretty much blends in with the crowd and I can't see where it justifies a permit on that basis.

Agreed. The only difference here is that there was a massive data breach of everyones SF86. You know what is in the 96 page document which could lead to a heightened likelihood of a personal attack. Thats the variable which makes the difference in my eyes than before personally. Without the data breach, the G&S of being in the military and ISIS threats would not hold water.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Because unlike you who has retired and rarely goes to any base... HE leaves that base after every tour of duty and drives home. He is easy to spot as he leaves work. And therefore, is at higher risk.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    A lot of you gross me out with your behavior sometimes it's better to just shut your mouth!!!!

OP congrats on your permit and I hope you and your family always stay safe! Thank you for your service!! Lastly I appreciate you sharing your permit reasoning.......after being asked.....and I hope it may help others in their search for a permit.

:thumbsup:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Agreed. The only difference here is that there was a massive data breach of everyones SF86. You know what is in the 96 page document which could lead to a heightened likelihood of a personal attack. Thats the variable which makes the difference in my eyes than before personally. Without the data breach, the G&S of being in the military and ISIS threats would not hold water.

I can agree with you on this, but I have to wonder over the years how many other breeches happened, that we don't know about, that could have exposed other prior military members that have no way of using that for G&S.
    And again congrats OP.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    A random act of a criminal is not the same as an advertised and specific threat made by a world wide terrorist organization. Unless you have some very special quality which you can't tell us... No criminal is going to follow you home from work and target you and your entire family for death.

Maybe I'm naive, buy I don't think anyone else is doing that either. Maybe if youre high up in the fbi, nsa, or cia. But not John Q private, airman, mp, etc...

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying these are made up threats that don't exist. I'm just saying, when hundreds of millions of people are compromised, how do you pinpoint which ones are worse off than others?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It was not my intention to make anyone angry, or gross anyone out (free booze :thumbsup:)

I am glad the OP got his permit. I am glad when any PRoM subject gets a permit.

I just hate the unfairness and the hypocrisy of the system.

That's what it all boils down to for me as well!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Have you ever served in the military?

Yep. And when I left post to my apartment I was not performing duty as a TOW Gunner, although I was still in the Army. Just not playing army.
    So, if Georgia issued me a TOW missile carry permit, it would only
    be good for when I leave post, not working as a gunner, but as someone not on the clock playing soldier after 5p.m.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I'm happy for the OP, but I'm a bit confused on how this is all working out. I seem to recall in the OPM hack thread that the general consensus was that no one that got hacked was successfully getting approved for that reason. Yet, if someone works for the military, works on a base, and also had their information hacked, it seems to me the only difference between that person and the OP is that the OP is active duty. If the OP's carry permit is good for when he is not working on base and presumably not in uniform, how does this give him any more need for a CCW than the civilian employee?

No anger directed toward the OP at all, just trying to understand the logic here. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong...

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Congrats to the OP but wow, what a reason. I don't understand how the OP's 'need' is greater than any other service members but it's cool that it worked out for him.

I wonder if this precedent can be used as leverage to open the floodgates for W+C for all servicemen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom