• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    My first C&R - a 1966 model Walther P38 that was sitting untouched in someone's dresser drawer for the last 50 years.

5a1206N.jpg
    qaaz7AE.jpg

NYez1MD.jpg
    iWq0547.jpg

Felt like I was lucky to find one with a pristine box, two mags, cleaning rod, owner's manual and test target from the Walther facory.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    My first C&R - a 1966 model Walther P38 that was sitting untouched in someone's dresser drawer for the last 50 years.

5a1206N.jpg
    qaaz7AE.jpg

NYez1MD.jpg
    iWq0547.jpg

Felt like I was lucky to find one with a pristine box, two mags, cleaning rod, owner's manual and test target from the Walther facory.

Glad they kept it clean, I have seen more than one nice gun that spent decades in a the dresser drawer that has been rusted badly. Nice gun.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Glad they kept it clean, I have seen more than one nice gun that spent decades in a the dresser drawer that has been rusted badly. Nice gun.

Thank you! Yes, it was a lucky find. I was perusing GB last week, looking at what was available in the way of WW II-era P38's when I came across that one. I called the seller and after a fairly lengthy conversation, I went for it. I was looking for more of a shooter than a collector P38, anyway. I love the old classic Walthers but the P38 has always been a favorite.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Sweet rifle. Right season to shoot it. The dating on these can be a little off depending on where you check the serial. Mine was actually a few years older (pre-WWII production) than the gun shop had pegged the year at.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Another source says it's a 1953. Close enough for me. LGS just had it as pre 64.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Nice Walther. Great shape and the nick nacks are a definite plus!

I picked up this FN Colombian Mauser today.
    Bolt and Reciever Sn match although by the way the hand guard fits, I think it must have had some refurb or service work on it.
    I paid a more than fair price for it even if it were mismatched.

My wife is 100% Colombian and my kids of course are 50% Colombian and 50% Cajun.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(21).jpg
      FullSizeRender(21).jpg
      77.2 KB · Views: 431
    • FullSizeRender(22).jpg
      FullSizeRender(22).jpg
      51 KB · Views: 432
    • FullSizeRender(23).jpg
      FullSizeRender(23).jpg
      48.1 KB · Views: 441
    • FullSizeRender(24).jpg
      FullSizeRender(24).jpg
      39.5 KB · Views: 356
    • FullSizeRender(25).jpg
      FullSizeRender(25).jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 434

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Bolt and Reciever Sn match although by the way the hand guard fits, I think it must have had some refurb or service work on it.

My wife is 100% Colombian and my kids of course are 50% Colombian and 50% Cajun.

Great grab, Melnic! That's a sweet cartouche!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

Thanks! Walthers always seem to have that air of uncertainty about them and I'll admit that P38's are a weakness of mine. I can't walk past one without wanting to check it out, see if all the serial #'s match, etc. I had very high hopes for a byf43 I saw on consignment locally but it turned-out to be a dipped RC with import marks. It probably would've been a fine shooter but the price and the BS-story about the seller's grandpappy bringing it back from the war turned me off. I logged-on GB to find a real one when I stumbled across the '66 model I bought.

That's a really good-looking FN Mauser you got there, too. Congrats on a great find!

WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    My First AR "The Virgin"

Much thanks to @daemonassasin for everything!

And my Home Defense Shotgun Mossberg 590a1

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpg
      image1 (1).jpg
      131.1 KB · Views: 350
    • IMG_1328.jpg
      IMG_1328.jpg
      133.9 KB · Views: 362

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

Good score, nice looking stock too

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Ordered an M48A from SOG last Friday; hopefully it comes in this week so I can inspect it when I get back in to town.

Yellowsled is killing me with the classified ads today :lol2:

Snagged his 1888 Commission rifle and I'd have that T53 as well if I had the extra cash

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    congrats on the Gew88, just read up on what to shoot through it before you just slap any old 8mm mauser ammo through it.
    THe throats are opend up but they bore is tighter than the typical Mauser

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    congrats on the Gew88, just read up on what to shoot through it before you just slap any old 8mm mauser ammo through it.
    THe throats are opend up but they bore is tighter than the typical Mauser

I did some reading last night but I am admittedly ignorant. Maybe this will finally be the rifle to propel me in to reloading.

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    From what I've heard, there should either be an S stamp on the receiver or a spitzer notch cut somewhere (not entirely sure what it looks like, sorry) that indicate that it can shoot normal .323 diameter 8mm bullets. Otherwise, I think you have to stick with hand loading .318.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Bert fish,

If I remember right, the Gew 88 you're getting from Yellowsled was one of the Turkish 1938 style conversions that eliminated the barrel jacket and were restocked, correct?

If so, you should be alright with .323 diameter projectiles, as the Turks rebarreled them with .323 barrels. You'd still need to use lower powered ammo due to the limitation of the action's strength, but most U.S commercial ammo should be fine. It's downloaded for just that reason.

If it's just a Gew 88 in its original trim, unless it's got a Czech marked replacement barrel, Hornady or Speer .321 bullets for the .32 Winchester Special work good and are accurate in my rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom