• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I just noticed that my new Sky M39 has the Sako gear wheel on the front sight. Is this typical? I haven't seen this before.
    1ddabb216eda2f2059140efcacab5063.jpg

And maybe it will be an antique next year ...
    75c71a92de1e2927d69f3dedd141abb1.jpg

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I shouldn't have tried taking photos tonight. I'm tired, the light sux, and my hands aren't steady ... but I did it anyway, so I'll post some of them.

This is the K-31 that I got from Gander Mountain. I really like this one because it's in rather good condition, it had a troop tag, and the pattern on the stock is ... rather unusual. It looks like an entirely different rifle, depending on which side is showing, but someone took care to even match the grain in the fore stock to the lower parts.

Also, I noticed that this one is from PW Arms, and the one I got from AIM (photos in the next posting) came from Century. This one doesn't have an "extra" serial number. The one from AIM did--the only thing I don't like about it.

What do you think?

The fourth photo is looking down on the top of the but stock. You can see the transition there from the heavy-grained dark walnut of the left side, to the much lighter color on the right side of the stock.

The next photo after that shows the right side of the gun. At the very top of the butt of the stock you can just see that transition of the grain from dark to light. It's sort of a Night and Day effect.

The last shot is the troop tag that came with this one. I mentioned in another thread that I was able to contact the son of that Swiss soldier. I'm hoping to be able to learn more about him. I presume that he's no longer living, since he was born in 1918.

Attachments

• Lt_Side_2_Gndr.jpg
      Lt_Side_2_Gndr.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 231
    • Lt_Side_3_Gndr.jpg
      Lt_Side_3_Gndr.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 234
    • Lt_Side_5_Gndr.jpg
      Lt_Side_5_Gndr.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 234
    • Top_Butt_Stock_Gndr.jpg
      Top_Butt_Stock_Gndr.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 242
    • Rt_Side_3_Gndr.jpg
      Rt_Side_3_Gndr.jpg
      30.6 KB · Views: 234
    • Stock_Cartouche_Gndr.jpg
      Stock_Cartouche_Gndr.jpg
      101.5 KB · Views: 230
    • Troop_Tag.jpg
      Troop_Tag.jpg
      45 KB · Views: 227
    Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    This is the one that I got from AIM. It's really in very nice condition, but that extra serial number on the receiver just grates on me. I'll get used to it eventually. I originally thought that both came out of PW Arms, but this one came from Century. The import mark on it isn't that bad, but that engraved serial number .....

Sorry the photos are so crappy.

Attachments

• Import_Mark_AIM.jpg
      Import_Mark_AIM.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 232
    • Lt_Side_AIM_1.jpg
      Lt_Side_AIM_1.jpg
      24.1 KB · Views: 225
    • Rt_Side_AIM_1.jpg
      Rt_Side_AIM_1.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 230
    • Stock_Cartouche_AIM.jpg
      Stock_Cartouche_AIM.jpg
      52.2 KB · Views: 226
    • Serial_AIM.jpg
      Serial_AIM.jpg
      24.3 KB · Views: 237

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I like the marble-like pattern of that first one from GM

The import mark deal just sucks.... It seems like we better get used to this crap, because most of the recent imports all have obnoxious markings.

The only thing I've gotten lately that has a real small, well placed import mark is stuff I've gotten from SAMCO.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    From what I've heard, RGUNS importers used to have a big, nasty billboard. Apparently enough folks complained, and they changed it to be one of the most subtle. Perhaps a letter-writing campaign to some of the other importers?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It already has a fully numeric serial #, why would they add another?
    I thought they did not have to do that unless the serial # had an unusable serial # like crylic letters?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    It already has a fully numeric serial #, why would they add another?
    I thought they did not have to do that unless the serial # had an unusable serial # like crylic letters?

If memory serves me correctly, they are supposed to add a different serial number if they have any other record of an import by them with that original serial number (could be any other kind of gun). This isn't that big of a stretch to have happen, especially when we realize that a paperwork foul up in WWII resulted in many thousands of 1911A1 pistols being given numbers that were placed on guns made in another Colt contractor.

Is the original S/N on the barrel or the receiver? I believe that it makes a difference.

Both are on the receiver, so even the logic of the barrel being a replaceable component doesn't apply in this case.

Attachments

• Serial_AIM.jpg
      Serial_AIM.jpg
      24.3 KB · Views: 199

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    I just got my M1911 from Aim. Pictures are below. When I first unpacked I was a little disappointed given that I paid for hand select. There is a rather large old gouge in the hand guard and a small crack in the stock by the receiver. It is one easily repaired and should not affect the guns function.

It has grown on me as I looked it over though. Rifle was made in 1916, and it has the P stamp. The bluing is really good and the buttstock is not beaver chewed. The stock has the normal dings of a 99 year old rifle. The bore was loaded with Swiss green grease. Ran a patch through, and I think the lands and grooves will be strong. No pitting. Throat looks good and the muzzle is tight. My 96/11 gauged at 7.55, and when I did the bullet test with a GP11 round, it swallowed slightly less than my 96/11. That is a great reading for one of these.

Basically, I got a nice rifle, not a special rifle. The crack is annoying because I have to remove the action and repair it. That means having to reaccurize it, which sucks. No drilled and tapped holes though, so I got that going for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      29.8 KB · Views: 179

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    For some reason, I could only do a single picture. Here is another.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 182

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    If memory serves me correctly, they are supposed to add a different serial number if they have any other record of an import by them with that original serial number (could be any other kind of gun). This isn't that big of a stretch to have happen, especially when we realize that a paperwork foul up in WWII resulted in many thousands of 1911A1 pistols being given numbers that were placed on guns made in another Colt contractor.

Both are on the receiver, so even the logic of the barrel being a replaceable component doesn't apply in this case.

And notice that CAI issued a NEW serial number for that rifle. I don't understand this - why must they make life hard? Why give a new S/N to a rifle that already has one? Then, when they get in a rifle that actually has an original S/N that matches one they artificially created, they have to create a new one. I'm sure you know this, but you have to use that made-up S/N when you log it into your book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom