• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Ok, so I haven't actually got it yet and it's techically not C&R, but it arrives tomorrow and I'm excited about it...

My new Webley (auction pic):

ke1En9.jpg

It's been bubba'd....but I'm pretty sure it's contemporary to the gun. It appears to be a Webley Number 1 1/2, with a cut down barrel. It's not a Pug, because the P. Webley and Son and St. James's London appear on the topstrap, its in .4xx caliber, and it has an octagonal barrel. It's allegedly in .455, but I'm pretty sure it's in .450 Adams or .442 CF. Should be 1868ish in date. An unbubba'd one appears on page 36 of Joel Black's excellent book "Webley Solid Frame Revolvers: Nos. 1, 1 1/2, 2, Bulldogs, and Pugs"

What really made me want it were the mods. The shortened barrel, the bobbed hammer, and the extractor rod (it screwed into the bottom of the handle, removed by unscrewing a very catch-on-clothing knob at the bottom) has been removed....meaning it was definitely meant to be hidden but quickly employed. It's nickel plated, so it's also meant to be stylish. Somewhat strange in open carry Olde West times. Everything about it feels nefarious and, since there's no documented history on it, I'm confident in saying this was 100% definitely used by Doc Holliday to protect himself during his more...creative...methods of winning card games. :lol2:

Looks cool !

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Attended a local auction last weekend and spent more than I intended yet again. This time it was all about another last minute addition to the auction that stressed the bank account.
    -Was high bidder on two lots. First I picked up a pristine Commercial Mauser HSc with holster at a bit of a bargain. Unusual in that it sports original Mauser plastic grips. Don't know if they're replacements or factory OEM. Didn't take any photos at the auction so they'll have to wait until after the holiday when the paperwork clears.
    -What rocked my wallet was a last minute addition marked as "Nambu 14 Pistol" on the auction tag. ID'd it correctly as a Papa Nambu. It's an early, First Variation Private Purchase Modified 1902 Nambu. Dates to 1909, part of the very first batch to leave the Tokyo Gas and Electric (TGE) factory. With a high attrition rate these are hard to find. Trolling local Mid-Atlantic gunshops and auctions I've never seen one for sale before.
    -Suspect it's one of 400 private purchase Papa Nambus built by TGE at the same time as the Naval First Contract lot of 1500. These would have been sold to individuals (Japanese officers often purchased their own sidearms), trading companies, gun shops, etc. Will know more after I can put it under closer scrutiny. Considering there were just 10,300 Papa Nambus built in total this would be a very uncommon example.

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_114006_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20171216_114006_hdr.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 224
    • IMG_20171216_114022_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20171216_114022_hdr.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 217
    • IMG_20171216_114033_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20171216_114033_hdr.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 219

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    -Attended a local auction last weekend and spent more than I intended yet again. This time it was all about another last minute addition to the auction that stressed the bank account.
    -Was high bidder on two lots. First I picked up a pristine Commercial Mauser HSc with holster at a bit of a bargain. Unusual in that it sports original Mauser plastic grips. Don't know if they're replacements or factory OEM. Didn't take any photos at the auction so they'll have to wait until after the holiday when the paperwork clears.
    -What rocked my wallet was a last minute addition marked as "Nambu 14 Pistol" on the auction tag. ID'd it correctly as a Papa Nambu. It's an early, First Variation Private Purchase Modified 1902 Nambu. Dates to 1909, part of the very first batch to leave the Tokyo Gas and Electric (TGE) factory. With a high attrition rate these are hard to find. Trolling local Mid-Atlantic gunshops and auctions I've never seen one for sale before.
    -Suspect it's one of 400 private purchase Papa Nambus built by TGE at the same time as the Naval First Contract lot of 1500. These would have been sold to individuals (Japanese officers often purchased their own sidearms), trading companies, gun shops, etc. Will know more after I can put it under closer scrutiny. Considering there were just 10,300 Papa Nambus built in total this would be a very uncommon example.

You can’t see it right now, but I’m as green as the hulk with envy! Was that from the Gregory auction?! I completely forgot about that

Jul 1, 2012
    Did anyone else recognize it wasn't a Type 14?
    In other words, did you sneak it out the door?
    Looks unmolested, out of some vets footlocker....
    Matched mag would be icing on the cake :)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Did anyone else recognize it wasn't a Type 14?
    In other words, did you sneak it out the door?
    Looks unmolested, out of some vets footlocker....
    Matched mag would be icing on the cake :)

Sadly someone else knew 'cause I had to shell out around $900 for it. Still a good buy (Legacy had one in similar condition that sold for $1300 a few yrs ago).
    And yes Dan, it was the Gregory auction. Best buys, besides mine, were (includes the 10 point premium)...

Mid 50s vintage Colt 1911 in .38 Super (excellent condition) for $1430
    Remington 37 Matchmaster for around $425
    SMLE No1 MKIII, 1940 dated Ishapore with cutoff, needed $50 worth of HGs - $220
    SMLE No2 MkIV, Ishapore .22 conversion - $300!
    Walther No5 in .25 auto - Don't know how this one snuck by me. Skip showed me what it sold for but I don't remember the exact amount. But it was below $350. Stone cold steal as these sell in the $700 neighborhood.

Didn't hang around for the smalls but there was a stunningly nice Unertl 10x scope that I was lusting after. But snuck out before I could get my bank account into any more trouble.

Jul 1, 2012
    That was a pretty good price on the Nambu :)
    I would have thought $1500-1800 range retail, although the "Papa" doesn't bring the big $$ for the most part.
    Many of them are a mess, but this one looks quite solid. Well played, sir!

"Mid 50s vintage Colt 1911 in .38 Super (excellent condition) for $1430"
    sigh...

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That was a pretty good price on the Nambu :)
    I would have thought $1500-1800 range retail, although the "Papa" doesn't bring the big $$ for the most part.
    Many of them are a mess, but this one looks quite solid. Well played, sir!

"Mid 50s vintage Colt 1911 in .38 Super (excellent condition) for $1430"
    sigh...

I'll email you about this one. It's going up on GB soon.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    This Mawkie guy has special powers.

That's why they call me the C&R Whisperer! :lol2: Luck, experience and intuition all play a part. This same auction house had another last minute addition earlier in the year and I scored a really nice Colt Woodsman Match pistol for half price. Was on the fence about this last auction of theirs but thought "Go and see if there are any more items that came along too late to make the internet listing." The Nambu was the last lot in the pistol group, added some time during the week. Paid off to make time and go after all.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

Nice score !!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    That's why they call me the C&R Whisperer! :lol2: Luck, experience and intuition all play a part. This same auction house had another last minute addition earlier in the year and I scored a really nice Colt Woodsman Match pistol for half price. Was on the fence about this last auction of theirs but thought "Go and see if there are any more items that came along too late to make the internet listing." The Nambu was the last lot in the pistol group, added some time during the week. Paid off to make time and go after all.

I need to find a lot of money and time. My purchasing/collecting has seriously waned lately.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County

Another great acquisition to the mawkie museum collection :D
    But I do have a bone to pick with you (see below) ;)

This one is a long time coming. 1944 Izhevsk PU. Scope was made at Factory 297 in Yoshkar-Ola. It’s a beauty, Clark.

6bd7048337e581f1d82128081a999f2b.jpg

7c4778bd9d3fab7010c3882491b8032d.jpg

3546445f83afa496b8a60e1cd1666d41.jpg

73794bf1f4cdabe3ad4efe57125d0d93.jpg

a7b414d43c9a24e5561d7470743be2ac.jpg

1bb9ce4181bf792451b865c73e59e33e.jpg

eb9178228b3e3559b0057c3c56762e75.jpg

aa8d9410b5b949005f552a99d43a6538.jpg

22e26b1bf905c86f2765e709c8cda725.jpg

68615290cd7120b424966be97a68aea4.jpg

406da6b58e9bddbc9902c14744c91031.jpg

Dude- nice sniper!
    Though I do seem to remember you saying awhile ago you'd never own a 91/30...:innocent0 :D

-------------------------
    ***h2u's Christmas whine***

OK. I've noticed a trend over the past year and a half. The C&R section is getting a little quiet. There has been a serious lack of individual posts on recent acquisitions, and I think this specific thread is the issue. This was originally intended to be a place where you could post examples of C&Rs readily available to purchase from various importers - to show the type of quality and condition of the batch being sold. Exact language from the original post' "The main intent of this thread would be to show examples of stuff that's still available through dealers, rather than a one-off purchase through an auction or LGS, etc.. This will let others get an idea about what they might be able to get, in terms of condition, import marks, accessories, and the like.

What this HAS turned into is the place where people do "drive-by" postings of a couple of pics - with very little discussion of the specific examples.

Call me crazy, but I like when everyone posted individual threads on their new firearms with lots of pics. Then we can talk about it and/or ask questions. It's also great when I want to refer back to a specific firearm and I can search for it MUCH easier. With this thread, I end up spending a lot of time poking around through tons of pics unrelated to the ones I want to see.

Anyway, stepping off the soapbox and look for some feedback - good or bad :D

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Dude- nice sniper!

Though I do seem to remember you saying awhile ago you'd never own a 91/30...:innocent0 :D

A couple responses ....

In my mind, a M91/30 PU sniper is not the same thing as a regular old M91/30 so ... ;-p

In my mind, a common Soviet refurb is one thing; my 1937 Finn-captured Tula M91/30 is another thing ... ;-p

When I started collecting, I swore that I would never own a “Mosin”. 26 Mosins later ...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Abulge, how much did it set you back? I have been seeing vendors displaying snipers for close to $1000 and they did not even look that good compared to what you got.
    Like yours, Mine is I think 43 or 44 with a wartime stock.

Mine was $525 from AIM back in 2013. Looking back I can't believe I hesitated so much before ordering it. But back then (it was not that long ago) a 91/30 was close to $100.
    I did a smith sights accurizing on it and with my reloads its close to 1moa so long as you take time between shots so the barrel does not heat up. I got lucky as the bore on mine was mint.

I think a poll needs to be started. How many Mosins (any variety) have you purchased (not necessarily still have). I think I'm in the low teens with less than half of those I still have.

Jul 1, 2012
    OK. I've noticed a trend over the past year and a half. The C&R section is getting a little quiet. There has been a serious lack of individual posts on recent acquisitions, and I think this specific thread is the issue. This was originally intended to be a place where you could post examples of C&Rs readily available to purchase from various importers - to show the type of quality and condition of the batch being sold. Exact language from the original post' "The main intent of this thread would be to show examples of stuff that's still available through dealers, rather than a one-off purchase through an auction or LGS, etc.. This will let others get an idea about what they might be able to get, in terms of condition, import marks, accessories, and the like.

What this HAS turned into is the place where people do "drive-by" postings of a couple of pics - with very little discussion of the specific examples.

Call me crazy, but I like when everyone posted individual threads on their new firearms with lots of pics. Then we can talk about it and/or ask questions. It's also great when I want to refer back to a specific firearm and I can search for it MUCH easier. With this thread, I end up spending a lot of time poking around through tons of pics unrelated to the ones I want to see.

Good, I've been thinking the same thing (even though guilty of it myself).
    It was intended as a companion thread to the In Stock Now...
    It's like the Epic Funny Picture Thread but for C&R :)

This thread also tends to get sidetracked with discussions on particular items which dilutes it.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Another great acquisition to the mawkie museum collection :D
    But I do have a bone to pick with you (see below) ;)
    -------------------------
    ***h2u's Christmas whine***

Im very guilty, I do try to add lots of pics here but i agree, i miss the old way to a point. I wont lie, i rarely post on Mds anymore except for here and some drive by posting at random hours of the night when im bored.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Abulge, how much did it set you back? I have been seeing vendors displaying snipers for close to $1000 and they did not even look that good compared to what you got.
    Like yours, Mine is I think 43 or 44 with a wartime stock.

Mine was $525 from AIM back in 2013. Looking back I can't believe I hesitated so much before ordering it. But back then (it was not that long ago) a 91/30 was close to $100.
    I did a smith sights accurizing on it and with my reloads its close to 1moa so long as you take time between shots so the barrel does not heat up. I got lucky as the bore on mine was mint.

I think a poll needs to be started. How many Mosins (any variety) have you purchased (not necessarily still have). I think I'm in the low teens with less than half of those I still have.

With one exception, I haven’t seen a nice PU offered lately for less than $1,200. I didn’t pay anything close to that.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I didn’t get it yet but today I purchased a bolt for my Spanish Civil War Polish Wz29 and am very excited! I purchased the Wz29 several years ago (it was actually owned by another forum member before me, although I didn’t buy from him). It came with a G98 bolt. I was looking at “seller’s other items” the other day and saw that a guy had a Polish Wz29 bolt. Not only was it a Polish bolt but it was for a SCW Wz29! Anyway, a little haggling later and it is mine.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    My apologies. I thought the In Stock Now thread was where you went to post and share finds from resellers/distributors. Assumed the Just Got It Now was the place for a quick, impromptu listing of something recently acquired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom