• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Yea, my only issue is that it's January and I don't anticipate many days I can utilize the sun. I do plan on hitting it with some BLO once I think most of the cosmoline is out, just looking for the best way to get it all. Maybe I'll try to be patient and get most out with just a mineral spirits rub down, and wait until later this year to really bake the rest out.

Good to hear you finally got it!

One way I have found to get Cosmo completely out w/o heat is CitriStrip. I'm only bringing it up because someone brought up oven cleaner :D. The only issue with these two is it will pull all (or most) of the finish out of the wood as well.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I've used boiling rags. Ring out quick and wipe. A little touch of mineral spirit at the end with one last wipe down with boiling water rag. Seemed to work fine.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    On (unpainted) metal parts, brake cleaner (gets off the majority of cosmo) followed by mineral spirits and/or denatured alcohol always does the job (with a minimum of elbow grease) for me. (I just put the procedure (successfully) to work on a CMP bayonet minutes ago.)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Got excited when a NC based auction house called yesterday to inform me of my success with two lots in their recent auction. They had about a dozen Ross rifles out of one deceased collector's estate and after a couple years of sitting on them his widow decided now was the time to consign them. A bit of a gamble as there were sparse photos and descriptions but what the heck it's only money...
    Bid on two Ross rifles and got the one that I really wanted: an early Ross MKII* rifle. Can't remember the last one of these to sell on the market, they're that rare. Didn't make these in this configuration for too long before settling on the MKII*** which is familiar to most collectors. Got it for a very good price so the exposure isn't too outrageous.
    The other lot I got was a pre-war FN/Browning model 1910 pistol. This has been on my short list, along with a FN 1900, for years now. Pre-war examples in good or better condition are getting hard to find. The last one I bid on sold for $850 with a rare factory commercial case and it wasn't in as nice a shape as this one (that case was the prize, very, very rare and in good nick).
    Now to get payment to the auction house, sit back and wait for the shipment!
    Auction house photos for now...

Attachments

• 59834918.jpg
      59834918.jpg
      7.8 KB · Views: 386
    • 59835235.jpg
      59835235.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 389
    • 59835236.jpg
      59835236.jpg
      22.3 KB · Views: 389
    Jul 1, 2012
    Eighteen days!?

Inconceivable :)

OK, I'll show one I picked up last Friday just before the snow hit...

Early CZ-27 with high-polish (more a brush blue, really) in super-dooper shape.
    Completely tore it down and cleaned it, just because.
    The design is impressive in it's simplicity.
    This one will probably be a safe queen.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 309
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 312
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 319
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 338

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Wow, really doesn't get any nicer than that!! I love those little guns for some reason and the early ones are just gorgeous. I have an eagle/k on the way now, I think I may try and go after some of the other hard to find variations too. They are addicting!

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Eighteen days!?

Inconceivable :)

OK, I'll show one I picked up last Friday just before the snow hit...

Early CZ-27 with high-polish (more a brush blue, really) in super-dooper shape.
    Completely tore it down and cleaned it, just because.
    The design is impressive in it's simplicity.
    This one will probably be a safe queen.

That sure is nice. I get wanting to keep that as a safe queen. I'm sure you have other 32acp noise makers you can break out that are shooters. You are braver then me though... I've never broken my cz 27 down that far.

Jul 1, 2012
    That sure is nice. I get wanting to keep that as a safe queen. I'm sure you have other 32acp noise makers you can break out that are shooters. You are braver then me though... I've never broken my cz 27 down that far.

yeah, maybe a few .32's :)

I'd just finished complete teardown/re-assemble of an Astra 300 and 400 so the CZ was a snap by comparison.
    Trickiest part is getting the mag catch out without breaking it, and getting the safety/trigger bar spring back in - it's about 2-3 times longer than you think it should be.

This has some pretty good directions:
    http://candrsenal.com/disassembly-czechoslovakian-vz-27-pistol/

I would not recommend disassembling the takedown slidy thing or trigger bar, or removing the ejector.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Should be here on Monday ...

I saw this Argentine Cavalry Carbine a couple of weeks ago. It looked nice, but the guy wanted more money than I wanted to shell out ... but it looked NICE. I watched it go through a couple of re-lists with no bids, even though he came down a few bucks each time, so I dropped the guy a note. I said I'd like to have the piece, but his opening bid on it was a little steep. He asked what I was thinking was fair ... I gave him a reasonable (higher end) price, and it was sold.

All matching, no import marks, seems to be in overall really nice condition for the type. Most of all, though, it's an "A" series in the three-digit range. That puts it in the first shipment of Carbines that Argentina ever bought.

Attachments

• AA_Crest.jpg
      AA_Crest.jpg
      33.2 KB · Views: 226
    • AA_Full.jpg
      AA_Full.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 226
    • AA_Bolt.jpg
      AA_Bolt.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 219
    • AA_Serial_Nos.jpg
      AA_Serial_Nos.jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 228
    • AA_Mag_Plate.jpg
      AA_Mag_Plate.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 222
    • AA_Left_Side.jpg
      AA_Left_Side.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 214
    Jul 1, 2012
    um, yeah, that does look pretty nice :)
    why is the font on the S/N on receiver different than barrel (and other parts)?
    did the Argentines add those numbers after delivery?

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Departing from my normal routine of posting an entire thread for a new gun, I'll be more modest and put this find here. I paid dearly for this M38, but it's the next best thing to mint. She is an absolutely gorgeous addition to the family, and a blonde!

M38%20Husky%201_zps6tuwcbnq.jpg

M38%20Husky%202_zpshptmgeqo.jpg

M38%20Husky%203_zpsal9w0q5y.jpg

M38%20Husky%204_zps1njk5tec.jpg

M38%20Husky%205_zpsdlbgk9ba.jpg

M38%20Husky%20Disk_zpsfqftl4zg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members