• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Recently slipped into the accident of unintentionally collecting the junk "Ring Of Fire" pistols...and so far have about half a dozen of em. I'm talking about the Raven Arms, Jennings/Bryco/Calwestco/Jimenez/JA Industries, Davis, Sedco, Sundance Industries, Phoenix Arms, Lorcin, and others (Rohm can count, too...although they aren't considered in the category). I know they're terrible, but there's something fun about junk guns that I can't quite describe. What also makes it fun is that very rarely do these ever reach above $100 full retail shelf price...so they are stupid cheap to pick up. I even posted up a classified Wanted ad if anyone out there wants to clear the junk out of the safe, too. Since I hold a FFL, there are no problems in acquisition. So far I have a mix of derringers, semi autos, and revolvers alike...predominantly after the semi-auto 22s and perhaps 25s, though. Anyone else out there have any of these?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ha! That's pretty funny. Why not? I'm keeping the one Phoenix I have. It's kinda fun to shoot and pretty accurate for a little .22 Auto.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Ha! That's pretty funny. Why not? I'm keeping the one Phoenix I have. It's kinda fun to shoot and pretty accurate for a little .22 Auto.

I just picked up a Phoenix a few days ago and so far it is reliable and rather accurate out to about 10 yards. I ordered the 5" barrel for it and some replacement springs, as such is inevitable with these.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Nothing wrong with that. I have a Jennings J22 from back in the day, and it's not going anywhere.

I have a Chino CA variant ~90K serial Jennings J-22, but would still be after Industry, Calwestco, Bryco, Jimenez, JA, and other variations of the gun.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Recently slipped into the accident of unintentionally collecting the junk "Ring Of Fire" pistols...and so far have about half a dozen of em. I'm talking about the Raven Arms, Jennings/Bryco/Calwestco/Jimenez/JA Industries, Davis, Sedco, Sundance Industries, Phoenix Arms, Lorcin, and others (Rohm can count, too...although they aren't considered in the category). I know they're terrible, but there's something fun about junk guns that I can't quite describe. What also makes it fun is that very rarely do these ever reach above $100 full retail shelf price...so they are stupid cheap to pick up. I even posted up a classified Wanted ad if anyone out there wants to clear the junk out of the safe, too. Since I hold a FFL, there are no problems in acquisition. So far I have a mix of derringers, semi autos, and revolvers alike...predominantly after the semi-auto 22s and perhaps 25s, though. Anyone else out there have any of these?
    Dang I sent back a Jennings last week. I think he paid over a hundred but under two. I’ll keep you in mind next time.

Last edited:

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Dang I sent sent back a Jennings last week. I think he paid over a hundred but under two. I’ll keep you in mind next time.

Paid about $30 for mine haha! Buybacks are the obvious answer for these...they will give you more than they are worth; but when they ran out of money at this last one I decided to try and shoot a few of these guns I was going to cash in on...and damned if they aren't fun.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I stripped mine down and got $200 from a BPD "buyback". I then sold the mags and grips on eBay for another $50.
    Not bad considering I paid $50 for it in 1992.
    I think, I paid even less back in the late 80s.

For a saturday night special, I haven't had a problem with it, since I found out it only likes CCI ammo.

Absolute

Jan 10, 2013
    Howard County, MD
    Oddly enough I was just thinking today about the Raven Arms P-25 that my Unkle used to keep under his drivers seat. It was in my care for sometime and was a fun little plinker once I learned how it liked to be handled.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I stripped mine down and got $200 from a BPD "buyback". I then sold the mags and grips on eBay for another $50.
    Not bad considering I paid $50 for it in 1992.

Not bad at all:

" $50 in 1992 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $107.57 today..."

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Jennings went back to the range toady after a chamber, feed ramp, and breech face polish....stretched the recoil spring too. It was better than the first range trip, but it was still abysmal. I have new springs coming for it...I know for a fact by the failure to go into battery constantly that the recoil spring is beyond toasted. I never expect this gun to work well, but it's not half bad as far as accuracy goes when it's feeding itself without aid.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    If you ever find your way up to Gettysburg, I swear it was Reddings Hardware that had a good sized cardboard box of “junk pistols” in the case with a sign that said like $75 each or something like that.

That was a few months ago when there was a Gettysburg show.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    If you ever find your way up to Gettysburg, I swear it was Reddings Hardware that had a good sized cardboard box of “junk pistols” in the case with a sign that said like $75 each or something like that.

That was a few months ago when there was a Gettysburg show.

Good to know, but doubtful I'll be there anytime soon haah!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My father bought a Rohm .22 as his second handgun. We still have it, but the trigger is dangerously light. I have 2 FIEs that look like the Browning BDM clones. A .380 that has only one flaw and a .22 that has so much wrong going on with it I use it in my classes for students to practice clearing jams.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Yeah, I didn't think the box and condition mattered that much!

Condition is everything just like any other firearm. Junk or not, they apparently have a small collector market haha. Boxes are exceptionally hard to find for them these days, too. Simple cardboard gets thrown away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom