• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    It's also easier to get people to remember and repeat a funny joke than it is a boring statistic.

People like to laugh, and comedians are disarming and persuasive by nature.

Don't underestimate the power of a smile :)

We used to call such folks con artists. Or sociopaths.

Now we call them bright and articulate. I repeat he's not the problem its the damn fools watching him.... they need to be dealt with..

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Like Rush, he is an entertainer, not a journalist.

Who the heck is a journalist nowadays?

Jon Stewart had a pretty hilarious, and spot on, "skit" over Bloomberg's soda ban.

He also got under Piers Morgan's skin regarding the Naval Yard shooting.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/pier...-stewart-worry-less-about-cnn-and-more-about/

I don't agree with a lot of his positions, but he surely is no moron either. He isn't a journalist either.

Thing is, I am still trying to figure out how many old fashioned journalists are actually out there nowadays. People that actually investigate the facts and don't report them until they are sure about them. It seems all "journalists" are under the "right now" is way more important than "correct".

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    John Stewart is incredibly smart and well polished. He thinks about everything he is going to say and normally has already thought out counter points for any counter argument people will give him. He also rarely says things that are not backed up by facts (And if he does he is known to apologize on live air) and then he is able to follow those facts up with statements that will hit your emotional side. Now, his “facts” in this instance are technically right since mass shootings just rely on victims and not deaths.

All this taken into account, it is incorrect to call him just a comedian. He is most likely one of the few actual journalists left on TV and I like him quite a bit. It just sucks that he is anti gun because having a person like him would do us very well.

I think people can find facts to support almost any argument, and especially both sides of the gun control argument. I wish the morons in the news and in political power would just let us live our lives and stop worrying about guns and worry about more important things like 1) education, 2) opportunity, 3) economy, 4) the debt/budget at all levels of government and the list goes on.

If people cannot see that banning drugs did NOTHING to stop illegal drugs and make the leap to firearms, then they are truly retarded.

Heck, a "mass shooting" per Stewart's definition could most likely be committed with a pellet gun or a slingshot, or even a knife, but that would be a mass stabbing.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I might not agree with all his stances but he makes his valid points typically based on research and somewhat factual information.

He might put a twist on it but he's not reporting complete and utter falsehoods like the other MSM (see Fox, CNN, MSNBC). Of course he only does 30 minutes and not live 24 hour coverage so there is a difference.

Do not be fooled by him. He has enough influence in his demograph to really do some damage. With that said I don't think he's closed minded or drinks all the Kool-Aid.

He's paid to be funny...or at least deliver the funny lines that 10 other people wrote for him to say.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I know how to stop all mass shootings, we just need one or two more laws then the criminals will start to follow them.
    Make it illegal to break laws and then put signs up everywhere.
    Then make it illegal to ignore the signs.
    This will end all shootings and solve all of our problems!

SilverBulletZ06

May 31, 2012
    I'm sorry, but John Stewart and "smart" should not be used in the same sentence. "Smarmy" would probably be a more correct term. He is a liberal satirist who happens to have half an ounce of common sense, so when some idiot like Bloomberg puts up a soda ban he can jump on that wagon too.

The reality is that he plays fast, loose, and with half-truths with a witty satirical punchline that is repeated over and over again. He uses this to voice his brand of liberal politics, then when backed into a corner he will suddenly turn around, throw up his hands and say "I'm just a comedian". You are either making political comedy, or are making a political statement. You cannot do both and pick the best of both worlds.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    So your telling me the future of the country is in the hands of young people who trust comedians to tell the truth.

It's not John Stewart we need to fear.

But now I know why I ignore young people :)

The future of the USA does lie with the young people of today, that is why we must not ignore them, but instead try to share our values and experience with as many as possible.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    The future of the USA does lie with the young people of today, that is why we must not ignore them, but instead try to share our values and experience with as many as possible.

I do that by ignoring them. They crave respect and will eat out of your hand if you demand of them what they are capable of instead of what they are merely 'willing' to do.

You can not be a friend and a mentor until you are a mentor first. This means we define the terms of the relationship --not them.

Try it it works.. or suffer the consequences of young fools setting their hair on fire and claiming to have invented sex..

I will not suffer fools--- young or otherwise.

Feb 28, 2013
    The last girl I dated was sitting on the couch with me and said 'wanna watch some new?' She turned on the Daily Show and I told her that's not news. She replies 'sure it is'. So I asked 'Comedy Central?'

At which time I would've told her to get the hell out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom