• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Typical Democrat response

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about gun rights and the 2nd Amendment. I appreciate your thoughts and input on this incredibly important issue.

As someone elected to uphold the Constitution, I support the 2nd Amendment and the rights of Americans to own guns and defend themselves. The overwhelming majority of gun owners are responsible, law-abiding citizens, and we must ensure their rights are protected. But when tragedy strikes and horrifying, unimaginable suffering is wrought upon our nation, we have a deep obligation to respond.

There is a consensus that the status quo is not acceptable when our children no longer feel safe at their schools, and people feel unsafe in movie theaters, places of worship, or in their own homes. So while we work to defend the 2nd Amendment, we must also work to advance common sense gun safety laws to help protect our citizens from senseless pain and deaths.

One common sense step is strengthening our current laws. For example, we should work to improve the background check system. We need legislation to increase data sharing between federal, state, and local agencies so that the National Criminal Background Check System has all data relevant to who is prohibited from purchasing a firearm. Furthermore, we should update the list of prohibited purchasers to include those on the Terror Watch List. We can all agree that if someone has been added to the Terror Watch List, they should not be allowed to buy a gun.

Enforcing common sense gun laws is only part of the solution. We also need to expand access to mental health care so those who suffer from mental illness receive proper care and treatment. We must ensure that schools and law enforcement agencies have the resources they need to keep our schools and streets safe. No single initiative can solve all of our problems, but there are common sense steps that we can, and must, take to reduce the amount of gun violence in America. As Congress considers these important issues surrounding gun rights and the 2nd Amendment, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your opinion, and please do not hesitate to contact me again. I encourage you to sign up for my e-newsletter at www.delaney.house.gov/contact/newsletter for periodic updates on my work on your behalf in Washington.

Sincerely,

John K. Delaney
    Member of Congress

camirish1

Liberal Gun Owner
    Jan 16, 2013
    Bowie, MD
    At least there is no mention about an AWB or banning "magazine clips". Also nothing about "universal" background checks. I say that is an above average response.

Library Guy

Library Marksmanship Unit
    May 25, 2012
    "our children no longer feel safe at their schools, and people feel unsafe in movie theaters, places of worship, or in their own homes."

In other words it's all about feeling safe. Well, I'm already safe. it's my rights which are in jeopardy.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Typical Democrat response
    As someone elected to uphold the Constitution, I support the 2nd Amendment and the rights of Americans to own guns and defend themselves. The overwhelming majority of gun owners are responsible, law-abiding citizens, and we must ensure their rights are protected. But when tragedy strikes and horrifying, unimaginable suffering is wrought upon our nation, we have a deep obligation to respond.
    Furthermore, we should update the list of prohibited purchasers to include those on the Terror Watch List. We can all agree that if someone has been added to the Terror Watch List, they should not be allowed to buy a gun.

Sincerely,

John K. Delaney
    Member of Congress

I think his constituents ought to ask how he feels about the 4th Amendment. Anyone can be added to the Terror Watch List. No way to challenge it, no way to get in front of a judge to get off, no way to know. So effectively, he is arguing to deprive someone of their 2A rights without any due process.

Sounds like he is upholding the Constitution to me. <sarcasm>

I find it stunning that many Democrats claim to support civil rights and would be outraged at the suggestion of depriving someone of other rights like speech, abortion or voting on the basis of being on a secret list with no due process or oversight but when it comes to guns, it is perfectly fine. And then get angry with you for pointing out the contradiction!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom