• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    My wife and I would like to move out to Garrett sometime. She works for Wallyworld so she should be able to transfer. I work for a beverage company. Been there 22yrs (most of my adult life). I work in the production area where we can and bottle. Maintenance,repair and overhaul of the production equipment is my basic job description. I can also operate all the machinery. Are there any similar industrial-manufacturing jobs in Garrett. Don't really want to be in food business anymore though. I'm kinda of a jack of all trades-master of none:D. Thanks for any advice.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    Just to clarify my above post I am not asking about jobs that might be open right now. Just want some info or names of companies that are in Garrett(W.Virginia also) that might be suitable for my experience. It will be years probably before we might be able to move.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Wasn't Baush and Lomb big out there??

Also I'd look across the boarder to PA. Much more manufacturing friendly. I have several good customers south of Pittsburgh.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Garrett Co is a great place to live - but the job market sucks..period. Unless you are in construction/timber/farming/mining - the job market is very limited. The area has always been known as an economically repressed area -and household income is among the lowest in the state. This is a main reason most people work out of state or out of the County.

As much as I like living in Garrett Co - If I had to do it over again, I would buy property, or live in the surrounding states instead. Even though Garrett Co is very Pro-Gun, we still have to adhere to all the Maryland anti 2nd Amendment horseshit laws. You can be a short drive from the area, and be able to hold a carry permit legally, and buy guns without some nonesense, shell case and rosters etc.

If you have not yet experienced a Winter in Garrett Co, Id suggest you do, before you decide to move to the area. Winter is no joke up here, and at times the snow is nonstop. Between driving in it, and constantly having to clear it, it may be more then some can handle. It is a complete different world then just a short drive in any direction in the Winter.

The further from the Lake area you live - the less cost of living. Property in the lake area, unfortunatly is becoming only for the wealthy. It wasnt always like this. Also factor in your heating costs- which is VERY high in the winter since it is colder, and for longer. Cars & trucks in this area do not last long if they are driven regularly. The salt, and crap on the road, does a number on vehicles thus giving them a shorter shelf life then anywhere else in the state - unless you drive on the beach in OC.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    That's what I kinda expected about the job market up there Deep Creek Rock.

I drive my truck on the beach at Assateague to surffish and from what I saw of some of the vehicles in Garrett the road salt is worse then the beach:D

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    If you have not yet experienced a Winter in Garrett Co, Id suggest you do, before you decide to move to the area. Winter is no joke up here, and at times the snow is nonstop. Between driving in it, and constantly having to clear it, it may be more then some can handle. It is a complete different world then just a short drive in any direction in the Winter.

we have a place in Canaan Valley. a few years ago we rented it for the winter to a dentist couple who were considering starting a practice in Canaan. after the winter they said no thanks. it ain't blue skies and fluffy snow like out in tahoe. plus canaan is a lot less commercialized than deep creek so a lot less to do after skiing/snowboarding.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    If you have not yet experienced a Winter in Garrett Co, Id suggest you do, before you decide to move to the area. .

Amen !! I live right on top of a mountain in Garrett County. My driveway/road is 2.5 miles and I have to plow it if I ever want to get out of the house. last yr wasn't too bad but the yr. before we got 265" of snow. that is 22ft of snow !! I was snowed in for over a week and I worked on clearing my road everys single day for two straight months. It is not for the faint of heart thats for sure.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Amen !! I live right on top of a mountain in Garrett County. My driveway/road is 2.5 miles and I have to plow it if I ever want to get out of the house. last yr wasn't too bad but the yr. before we got 265" of snow. that is 22ft of snow !! I was snowed in for over a week and I worked on clearing my road everys single day for two straight months. It is not for the faint of heart thats for sure.

I can relate to that - I live on top of a mountain as well - my home sits at about 3000ft above sea level, and is near open lots and farm pasture, that is subjected to very bad wind drifts. There have been times- once the snow has already piled up, and been plowed, that small couple inch snow events -turn into 5 feet of snow from being drifted into snow cut channels. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

The last winter a few years when we had almost 300 inches of snowfall (winter total) - the snow pile from where I had snowthrowed along my driveway, was so tall I could climb it and jump down a few feet, and land on the roof of my Jeep Cherokee. I REALLY hope we dont get another Winter like that anytime soon!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The funny thing about snow in Garrett County is it does not have to be winter. My last trip up was in April. The wife and I stayed on the lake. Friday afternoon I was fishing off the pier in a short sleeve shirt. On Saturday we had light rain and drizzle. Woke up Sunday morning to 8 INCH's of snow!

We had watched the weather and saw no mention of snow in the forecast. You can probably imagine my surprise and concerns considering we were driving a 2WD Ford SUV. The property management company helped out by plowing the road and standing by to make sure we got out of the driveway.

I will go back every chance I get!

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    What everybody has told you about the job market is true. Garrett County and neighboring Allegany have a very ELDERLY population. Allegany County is where I reside about 1/2 Mile from Garrett and I commute to Frederick to find decent $$$.
    There are plenty of jobs if you consider minimum wage a JOB , If you are lucky enough to get a job with either one of the prisons in Cumberland or the hospital, FSU College but that is about the limit to decent $$$.

The winters are rough as described if you wish to buy I recommend something near one of the major routes

Good Luck

Jim

doug38s

BIGELOW
    Mar 28, 2012
    Sharpsburg
    If your serious my brother has a pretty good hydroseeding and snow plowing business out in the Morgantown area. He is always looking for good people to work for him. He has some fellas that come up from south of the border every year but he has so much work it makes his head spin sometimes.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Anyone need an IT Sysadmin/engineer/Virtualization type up there??:rolleyes: Surely the timber/mining industry uses computers, and computers need attention! I would love to get my family out of Moco......

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    The last winter a few years when we had almost 300 inches of snowfall

That is crazy, had no idea it snows like that up there.

Anyone need an IT Sysadmin/engineer/Virtualization type up there??:rolleyes: Surely the timber/mining industry uses computers, and computers need attention! I would love to get my family out of Moco......

Tis the curse of the IT guy, the good jobs around here are all in the DC area. I have a cabin in south of Luray, VA. I'd much rather live in the middle of nowhere, but there are no jobs for me. I talked to some people that have places on the mountain there, they said the same thing. One told me he tried living there year round but couldn't find steady work.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    That is crazy, had no idea it snows like that up there.

Tis the curse of the IT guy, the good jobs around here are all in the DC area. I have a cabin in south of Luray, VA. I'd much rather live in the middle of nowhere, but there are no jobs for me. I talked to some people that have places on the mountain there, they said the same thing. One told me he tried living there year round but couldn't find steady work.

Yea, reality sucks. I always have this dream about how I sell my house, move out to western MD or WVA, and make a killing my creating websites for all the mom and pop joints. Def a dream :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom