• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    95 YJ real Jeeps have leaf sprangs at all four corners and mine has no top. Jeeps are like women best when topless and wet!

You square headlight guys always have something to say :sad20:

:lol2:

OP, get the hard top! Like others have said, you can pick up a soft top for cheap (relatively speaking). It's definitely nice to have both.

Eastcoasttj

This is gonna hurt
    Sep 22, 2012
    Baltimore
    Have an older TJ and have always had the soft top. Have to replace every 5 years or so but I really enjoy it because the top takes seconds to put down and with 1/4 doors it really feels open. My only complaint is that I cant really secure anything important in it. Other guys are right about getting hard top in the respect that its MUCH cheaper to get a soft one later. Just bought a replacement from quadratic for $350. Good luck, have fun.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    I had a 95 YJ, now I have. 10 TJ 3 inch lift with 33s, and soft top. The 13 will have a heck of a lot better engine and is worth it. Only reason I went with the 10 was the nsane price I got it for. If you have the storage space, go with both tops and just store the hard top in the summer. The newer tops are miles ahead of the tops on the older models, my 95 top was loud as shit, my 10 I can talk on my cell while I drive. Once you go Jeep you will sways have one

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    if you are concerned about wind and tire noise and considering a hardtop for more comfort then you really don't want a jeep. Do yourself a favor and buy a full bodied vehicle. I'll keep enjoying the wind and tire noise through my soft top.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    The 2012 model is when the better(by far) 3.6 liter engine came out. The previous engine, the 3.8 is a trainwreck as many JK and minivan owners are crying ot Chrysler about. Accroding the Chrysler, losing a QUART every THOUSAND miles, it totally acceptable on the 3.8....

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    My last Jeep was a '92 with a 5-speed and the 4.0 inline 6. The only factory options it had were locking diffs, the backseat and the "carpet". I think it was about 10 grand new.

The gas mileage was terrible, the ride was abusive, and it was ungodly loud. I f*cking loved it. The top and doors came off in March, went back on in October.

I laugh at the huge new Cadillacs that're called "Jeeps" now.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    For the OP, so...whudja get??? Pics please!

For the purists out there (I fall in that group), one gratuitous pic from the late-80's with my long gone '78 CJ5. :sad20:

Ignore the dude in the pic, he was picking up his pride and joy in Norfolk after a long deployment and Spring was in the air, yada, yada... :innocent0

33-12.5x15 w/3" spring lift, before someone asks. You'll see the frame for the soft top, but its gone. Bikini top which stayed with it at all times (mounted or under the seat). Forget conversation at anything over 35mph.

Gawd I miss it! I need to find an old CJ...like I need a hole in the head. A newer soft top Wrangler (with AC) may be in my future, however.

Untitled-5.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If you didn't buy it yet make sure you get at least the 3.73 gears or you will greatly regret it later with even minor increases in tire size

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    For the OP, so...whudja get??? Pics please!

For the purists out there (I fall in that group), one gratuitous pic from the late-80's with my long gone '78 CJ5. :sad20:

Ignore the dude in the pic, he was picking up his pride and joy in Norfolk after a long deployment and Spring was in the air, yada, yada... :innocent0

33-12.5x15 w/3" spring lift, before someone asks. You'll see the frame for the soft top, but its gone. Bikini top which stayed with it at all times (mounted or under the seat). Forget conversation at anything over 35mph.

Gawd I miss it! I need to find an old CJ...like I need a hole in the head. A newer soft top Wrangler (with AC) may be in my future, however.

Untitled-5.jpg

What would a nice 70s jeep like that cost now? It's awesome. I'd love to paint one OD green. . . Ill put whatever gunshop donates a browning 1919 to me sticker on the car.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    My 09 soft top shows age now. Most soft tops have a life span of 5-8 years. some more, some less. Only down fall of a hard top is you have to leave your pannels(unless you plan on taking them with you when you drive.) MY luck has always been caught in storm and have to pull over and pull up my top.

I would go with what you can get your best deal on. Im sure the '12 they will want to get rid of that old ass jeep. Craigslist can be your friend when it comes to OEM jeep parts. Som many people get rid of nice pizza cutter tires and other parts.

The sahara package is just bells and whistles. Absolutley nothing to do with off road performance. I bought my 09 x all stock and built it the way i wanted to. GASP!!!! wind up windows and manual locks. If you plan on using it for intended purpose. Becareful of power equipment and electronics.

krucam

Ultimate Member

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    Just got a '12 JK a couple months ago, I love it. Since the 13s were rolling in, and it was the last day of the month, I got a GREAT deal on it. about $1k under what consumer reports said was a good deal on a lesser model - mine has more bells and whistles than the one we compared it to.

Jeep has come a long way, and the soft tops are a lot more reliable than they used to be.

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee. Awesome ride. Many improvements over the previous models. Make damn sure you get a full size spare and rim. They come with 20 inchers. We had a flat with only 800 miles on the Jeep...at 4:30 pm in Yemassee South Carolina (picked up a 3 inch flattened tire weight after being run off 95 by some slow ass on the entrance ramp). Went to the spare and found a 50 mile donut! Oh Joy. The AAA guy took an hour and a half. Hooked us up in Bluffton with a hotel and the only tire store that was ope in 100 miles. We now have a 20 spare BUT...and this kills me....Jeep doesn't have a rim to match...at least not until they start production again of that type. Then they'll make us one......what BS.....Love Our Jeep. Rant OFF!

JDH

Apr 30, 2005
    Harford County
    I'm an old school jeep guy, if your looking for comfort and a quiet ride then maybe the jeep isn't for you. The jeep has come a long way to satify the owners who wanna be in one just so they can ride around the mall or put it in 4wd when there is a dusting of snow on the ground.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Dealer told me their was no physical difference beyond paint colors between '12 and '13 models. Wife ended up buying an '04 TJ unlimited (LJ?) w/hardtop. Hardtop works well for interstate, air conditioning and winter. Looking forward to spring to try the soft top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom