• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    I have a Japanese carbine series 38 that I need to have spec'ed out by a gunsmith. It was originally a 6.5x50 but I've read that a lot of these were re-worked to fit US ammo. Any suggestions for a local gunsmith to give me the real specs on this gun? In the Glen Burnie area. Thanks.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Take it to Scots and have them do a chamber cast. That will determine if the chamber was reamed. It was common in the 50-60's to ream them to take the 257 Roberts case. What you wound up with, was a wildcat of 6.5-57 MM. Original brass was scarce.

Good luck

Jerry

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Good question lee2. But if it was sporterized that doesn't necessarily mean bubba got to the chamber too.

There are products available to make casts of the chamber and check it yourself, but for one rifle...?...I'd take it to Scott's in Glen Burnie and have the rifle looked at professionally.

If it was my rifle, I'd clean the chamber well, load a blank 6.5x50, test fire it and see what dimensions the case fire forms to and go from there. But that's just me. :innocent0

In any case, an old Type 38 Arisaka (or any other gun) should be well checked before it's fired.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    is it in original condition or has it been sporterized?

He did a wax mold of the chamber last night and it appears to be 6.5x50, so bubba hasn't gotten his hands on it :D. That particular gun is a carbine but has what appears to be a full sized stock on it, where they manufactured like that?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    There are a number of original configurations. Arisaka's are interesting to research. This is a starting place:
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/arisaka/index.asp
    And the link in the article: http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Most of the bubba'd versions are cut down. It would seem odd for someone to replace an original stock with anther type of original since original stocks aren't all that easy to find. But who knows what could have been done to it over the years.

Posting a pic would be helpful.
    :)

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    There are a number of original configurations. Arisaka's are interesting to research. This is a starting place:
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/arisaka/index.asp
    And the link in the article: http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Most of the bubba'd versions are cut down. It would seem odd for someone to replace an original stock with anther type of original since original stocks aren't all that easy to find. But who knows what could have been done to it over the years.

Posting a pic would be helpful.

My grandfather borrowed this rifle way back in the day, when he moved out into the country and didn't have a rifle to hunt with. A guy he worked with loaned him the rifle but died before my grandfather returned it so he just kept it. When my aunts and uncles were growing up this gun was used as a toy, my guess would be nobody could find ammo for it so they used it for cowboys and indians. Our family pretty much assumed it was non firing but that doesn't seem to be the case.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Interesting story. Unless the rifle is way beyond repair there's a good likelihood it's shootable. Arisaka's, especially the early war year vintage, were built with remarkably strong actions.
    Surplus ammo is non-existent (or if you find any, it's collectable stuff). Hornady, PCI and Norma make loaded ammo in Boxer-primed cases - (perhaps even Prvi). Prvi does make cases, so if you reload, ammo can be built relatively easily and inexpensively. My T-99 is a helluva nice shooter. One day I'll find a decent T-38 to go with it.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Yeah, one of my uncles once told me the barrel was rusted shut but I've looked down the barrel and you can see daylight. I have no idea what the bore looks but the rifle looks all original. The mum is also partially in tact.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Only one way to find out what the bore looks like...get to cleaning. Many of the early years were chrome lined so you may be surprised.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Been doing some more research. 3 different sites give 3 different specs

Norma

6,5japari.gif

Italian War Site

Arisakadwg.jpg

and finally Wikipedia

Specifications
    Case type Semi-rimmed, bottlenecked