• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    Hey all,

Interested in getting in to competitive shooting. On the Anne Arundel fish n' game website, there's an IDPA match listed for Jan 2nd. I'd like to at least observe, or, if there's enough room maybe go slow through the course.

As of now, all I have is a 4.25" 1911 with a CCP holster, I have a lot of magazines so that's not a problem.

1.) Is there anything else I need?
    2.) Would it be better to just observe?
    3.) Where exactly is the address?
    4.) Is there a more 'relaxed' IDPA field?

Thanks all!

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    while i havent competed in IDPA just YET, i'll be getting a 1911 in january-february. you can get a good idea of what you may need or practice on from watching youtube videos.

i'd reccomend going and watching a match first and if your comfortable with the scene and action, join in. if your gonna go to AA fish and game, i hear they have shooting time restrictions so their events move rather quickly due to noise codes.

sounds like you would be set, you'll need a concelament garment (such as a vest or jacket)

while i give sparse info, im sure others can fill you in way more than i can. good luck

vwpilot

Nov 26, 2008
    I shoot at AAFG and its a nice and helpful group of guys. I'd say that you sign up with the intention of shooting. Just tell them its your first time and they'll be more than helpful at walking you through the event.

You'll need your gun, a holster and a mag holder for two mags. You can only use three mags per course of fire, (one in gun and two on belt), but you can bring another that will help you with the loading.

You have to load your gun to max mag load +1 in chamber. So you'll need to either load a mag and chamber a round, then remove the mag and add that bullet back into it, or the easier way is to just use the fourth mag. Basically, have a mag just to load that first round then remove it, put it in a back pocket or something, then load the first full mag.

So probably more info than you needed, but I would bring the gun, the holster, a mag holder for two mags and bring at least four total mags, three to use during the course of fire and one to load with.

If you follow their website and get on their mailing list, then you'll be notified when signup starts for the event. They usually fill very quickly, so get on it and sign up. If you cant get it, then you're still welcome to come and watch. But its plenty basic and nothing you'll not be able to do, so I say just plan on shooting.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    The great thing about IDPA is that you are shooting against the clock. You can go as fast or as slow as you need to and then compete against yourself to improve your times as you get more familiar with the way it works. The folks at AAF&G are a good bunch of guys, cept that guy called canuck, he's a real prick.:D

Hey all,

Interested in getting in to competitive shooting. On the Anne Arundel fish n' game website, there's an IDPA match listed for Jan 2nd. I'd like to at least observe, or, if there's enough room maybe go slow through the course.

As of now, all I have is a 4.25" 1911 with a CCP holster, I have a lot of magazines so that's not a problem.

Thanks all!

Go to my site and study. www.aafgidpa.com

all the info you need is there. Be advised that our matches fill up VERY fast. The last match was full in 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I'll be at that match on the 2nd, look for me.

Last edited:

comet24

Aug 2, 2008
    Go to http://www.aafgidpa.com/

Great group of people to shoot with. There is always a new shooter or two. Just let the S.O. know and they will make sure you understand everything. Everyone there is nice and will help you learn what is going on. All you need is a gun, holster, three mags and two mag carriers.

This is a relaxed group and these are club matches so it's a great place to learn. I would sign up and plan on shooting if your going to come. Your wish you had if you just show up. As long as your safe with a gun and can draw and reload safely your be fine.

You need to sign up for the match. Matches fill up quickly but since it's a Friday match there may still be some slots.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA

You didn't list mag pouches. Bring two.

Definately come to observe even if you didn't get on the "shooters" list

Address is on the website. Careful on the approach, the turn off sneaks up on you. If you go down a hill and across a small bridge (coming from 50) you've gone too far.

Not that AAFG is really "tense", but if you mean "not under a mandated time constraint" relaxed, there is Sanners Lake . But its a drive for anyone close to Annapolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom