• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    Possible. I can't argue with your logic. So what should we do? Ban medications that are helpful for millions?

For starters, there is a financial incentive from the federal government to get kids on these pills (ADD/ADHD Dx). That needs to end. There are people taking them that have no need to.

Secondly, mass shooting have all happened right after being placed on them, right after a dosage change or right after being taken off them. I'd say 2-3 days of inpatient observation for any of those events is called for when putting anyone on SSRI's.

-t

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I keep hearing that the problem isn't necessarily taking SSRI's. The problem is when they stop taking them all of a sudden and then they tend to have manic behavior.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    For starters, there is a financial incentive from the federal government to get kids on these pills (ADD/ADHD Dx). That needs to end. There are people taking them that have no need to.

Secondly, mass shooting have all happened right after being placed on them, right after a dosage change or right after being taken off them. I'd say 2-3 days of inpatient observation for any of those events is called for when putting anyone on SSRI's.

-t

You have to compare to that to how many times that happens and people don't have those thoughts. There will always be a trade off.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    'One in five teenage boys' diagnosed with ADHD
    https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/health/more-diagnoses-of-hyperactivity-causing-concern.html?_r=0

These rates reflect a marked rise over the last decade and could fuel growing concern among many doctors that the A.D.H.D. diagnosis and its medication are overused in American children.

The figures showed that an estimated 6.4 million children ages 4 through 17 had received an A.D.H.D. diagnosis at some point in their lives, a 16 percent increase since 2007 and a 53 percent rise in the past decade. About two-thirds of those with a current diagnosis receive prescriptions for stimulants like Ritalin or Adderall, which can drastically improve the lives of those with A.D.H.D. but can also lead to addiction, anxiety and occasionally psychosis.

Drug-induced Murder: What Caused the Connecticut School Shootings?
    Most perpetrators of mass school shootings in the past 15 years have been on or were withdrawing from psychiatric drugs.
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...-what-caused-the-connecticut-school-shootings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAO5_Hk06Mc&feature=player_embedded#!

-t

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I keep hearing that the problem isn't necessarily taking SSRI's. The problem is when they stop taking them all of a sudden and then they tend to have manic behavior.

That is exactly correct, particularly with benzodiazepines. Some of the problems are caused by patients deciding to stop on their own while others are caused by stupid doctors. I believe SSRIs have a place in treating patients. I don't feel the same way about benzodiazepines.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    It's not psych meds that make people do this. THEY ARE PRESCRIBED THESE MEDS BECAUSE THEY HAVE PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS. For the love of God stop the nonsense that it is the other way around. Do you know what percentage of the population is on SSRIs? It's big.

Can you get anything from reputable sources? You need to realize that these medications are prescribed to people who have serious psychiatric illness, and it is more likely the illness causing the behavior than the medication. In this instance, I am going to sound like a prick and tell you that I am very well versed in psychiatric disease and psychopharmacology. Please don't quote "stuff from the internets" and expect me to believe it. It messes up my hair.

Just because a jury says it is the cause doesn't make it true. Ask Dow-Corning.

I can't comment on the hair, but the fact that someone on this board finally made these comments is giving me a bit of a man crush.

(My favorite BS medical 'fact' is one my father likes. And Peter Angelos! Seems black lung disease occurs about 99% of the time in coal miners who smoke. Or some ridiculously high percentage.)

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    It's not psych meds that make people do this. THEY ARE PRESCRIBED THESE MEDS BECAUSE THEY HAVE PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS. For the love of God stop the nonsense that it is the other way around. Do you know what percentage of the population is on SSRIs? It's big.

This.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Can you get anything from reputable sources? You need to realize that these medications are prescribed to people who have serious psychiatric illness, and it is more likely the illness causing the behavior than the medication. In this instance, I am going to sound like a prick and tell you that I am very well versed in psychiatric disease and psychopharmacology. Please don't quote "stuff from the internets" and expect me to believe it. It messes up my hair.

Just because a jury says it is the cause doesn't make it true. Ask Dow-Corning.

BUT I HAZ INFOWARZ LINK AND YOUTUBEZ!!!!

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    Why are 20% of our kids diagnosed as having ADHD?

Why are 2/3rds of them put on psych drugs?

THEY ARE PRESCRIBED THESE MEDS BECAUSE THEY HAVE PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS.

********!

Most of them are put on these meds because Big Pharma has good lobbyists and NCLB put a $400 bounty on any kid a school district claimed had ADHD!

-t

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave

********!

Most of them are put on these meds because Big Pharma has good lobbyists and NCLB put a $400 bounty on any kid a school district claimed had ADHD!

-t

You know that Teratos is a doctor, right? You know he knows his shit, right?

What are your qualifications when it comes to speaking on the issue?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    A lot of boys get diagnosed with adhd because our schools aren't set up to educate boys. Boys like to play and explore and be physical. our schools force boys to sit at a desk for hours. It goes against their nature.

We won't invest in gender specific education because everyone is equal but we aren't. look at how boys and girls play as kids. boys play cops and robbers, build forts, etc. girls play dolls and have tea parties. Not everyone fits the rules but a lot do.

Of course if you try to say that you'll get laughed at.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    You know that Teratos is a doctor, right? You know he knows his shit, right?

What are your qualifications when it comes to speaking on the issue?

Fair enough. No where near as impressive as having a "MD" behind my name. I've been trained and have worked as a medic. I grew up volunteering in hospitals and as it was usually slow, the only thing to read was medical journals. Never quite kicked that habit. I'm a medical researcher on austere and remote/wilderness/relief medicine and have been doing that for over 15 years. I'm one of the authors of "Survival and Austere Medicine, 2nd ed". which is a free download and am a mod on a message forum devoted to those topics. While I haven't been in a while, I frequent medical libraries and spend the day. Then read what I snagged over days or weeks.

I was a pre-nursing major but changed majors. Have worked in hospitals, ER's, as a med temp and in a nursing home. I am not unfamiliar with the medical field. I hang out with doctors, PA's, NP's, etc. I've got a bookshelf stacked floor to ceiling with medical texts, but ones that were generally not printed in this country (or any first world country) and if followed, would probably land you in jail in this country. I can make insulin, IV fluids and other stuff from scratch...

I've been considering PA school.

I keep a stockpile of maybe 40 pharmaceuticals in the house. Including a SSRI. The restricted ones Rx'd by a friendly MD. The SSRI is for PTSD and weaning ppl off narcotics. Though my drug of choice is NyQuil for that. PRQ

you?

-t

Last edited:

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    Not trying to be a jerk but screaming ******** isn't exactly conducive to a conversation.

sorry - just hit a nerve...

Way to many kids are being Dx'd with ADHD and being put on psych meds because of it.

That's the bottom line.

-t

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO

I'm no expert, but I'll take a swing at this.

Because parents choose to medicate their children rather than actually raise them? Because there couldn't truly be anything wrong with their special little snowflakes.

And in the cases of Loughner, Holmes, and Lanza, because their parents didn't deal with their sociopathic spawn much earlier in their lives. You know, maybe talk to 'em? Know what makes 'em tick? God forbid, realize they needed a dose of reality rather than feed the narcissism?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    A lot of boys get diagnosed with adhd because our schools aren't set up to educate boys. Boys like to play and explore and be physical. our schools force boys to sit at a desk for hours. It goes against their nature.

We won't invest in gender specific education because everyone is equal but we aren't. look at how boys and girls play as kids. boys play cops and robbers, build forts, etc. girls play dolls and have tea parties. Not everyone fits the rules but a lot do.

Of course if you try to say that you'll get laughed at.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

My parent's generation seemed to handle co-ed education in a sit down and learn environment just fine. Maybe because the teacher was allowed to actually punish students for bad behavior and could expect support from parents?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    This is the kind of discussion/dialogue our community really needs to have. I don't have any medical/mental health credentials but being 60ish, I do have some "life experience". When I was the age of the poor kids who were killed in Newtown people like the lunitic who did that were in institutions. If they were in need of drugs, they could be given drugs. I think if they were institurionalized today they could be given drugs and see the reaction to the drugs and cared for there until the personel would find the right combination to really help them. I think in some cases blindly throwing pills at the problem is not the entire answer, but it appears at times that is what is being done.

During the late '70s I worked as a Correctional Officer in the this state. We would get in people who had charges like disorderly or some minor thing the police and commissioners could come up with, but they were obviously, well, nuts. We could not put them into general population as the inmates would not tolerate them and they could get hurt and had to set aside a cell block for the people we had like this. I would ask the older officers what we should do with these people and their reply was they didn't know, they used to send them for evaluation and they were, under the old system, kept. These people needed to be cared for by society, that was understood and done, they did not belong in jail.

With all due respect to our members here who work in medical fields, I don't believe we will have a real assurace of public safety until people who are suffering mental illness can be evaluated in a clinical setting and their reaction to medications can be evaluated as much as possible before they can return to society, if they can at all. I know this may be difficult for people to accept, that someone has to go through this and the public would have to pay to care for them, but not doing this until they do something criminal is simply not working.

As I say, we need the discussion and I thought I would throw out my thoughts and I guess you are welcome to throw them out as well.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    sorry - just hit a nerve...

Way to many kids are being Dx'd with ADHD and being put on psych meds because of it.

That's the bottom line.

-t

No problem, no offense taken! I don't disagree that way too many kids are on meds. I just think that drawing the conclusion that these meds turn these people into homicidal maniacs is stretch.

If so many people are on these meds, why aren't the streets running red? No one can say it doesn't have an impact but assuming causation is a major leap in logic that I can't follow.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

********!

-t

Agreed. True Illnesses/psychiatric problems shouldn't be present in that large of the population. Schools receive extra funding for the more kids that are on this stuff. We seem to have more issues now with all these kids on this stuff than years ago when they weren't.
    There's a place for these medications but it should be nowhere near 20%.

MicheleM

Feb 13, 2013
    Cecil County
    Possible. I can't argue with your logic. So what should we do? Ban medications that are helpful for millions?

No, but these medications should not be given so quickly or by medical professionals who are not Psychiatrists. Now adays, you can go to a gp, psychologist, or therapist and receive this prescription.

The psychiatric field dropped the ball on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom