• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I'm torn between at tactical bolt rifle or converting my ar to a hunting type caliber. I'm leaning towards that savage hog hunter in 308. Seems like an awesome rifle from what I've read. But I always have to explore options. Later on suppressing sounds like something I'd love to do for quiet shooting. So a 300 blk sounds fun and suppressing my 308 would be fine too.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    .50 Beo, I don't know how that is out beyond 250m/y - but inside of that, it's a wrecking ball, but only Alexander Arms is producing ammo for it (I THINK), so that's a downside to me.

6.8 SPC - Where's Forest when you need him? He's the resident 6.8 Guru.

6.5G - Definitely has the range and increased oomph, but no real experience with it, only a few sources making ammo that I know of.

300BLK - Interesting round, has a fair amount of appeal - .30 cal AR hunting for one, nearly hollywood quiet suppressed w/subsonic ammo, but again not too many sources for factory ammo, but more makers are getting on-board.

Since Forest is absent, let me answer the 6.8 question. Yes, it's a good round, it's better when you reload for it. There are sub-sonic recipes available for it. I own one now, I'm looking to build a 16" upper for hunting. A better place for info is http://www.68forums.com .

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    "Jacks-of-all-trades" are usually masters of none. If you want a mid-range tactical rifle, go 308 (Remington 700... but I'm partial to Remingtons) and dump money into a nice scope. Bear in mind that you can dump the better part of your $1000 budget on glass alone for a nice tactical set-up. If you want something to take everything that walks or crawls in the lower 48... you'd be hard pressed to top the 30-06 (Remington Long Action, Winchester M70, or a Savage 110), a moderately priced 3x9 scope, and a reloading press. About your budget: Tactical rifle... You can probably pick up a Remington PSS in an HS Precision stock for ~$800 or so. Used might be less. Probably closer to $1000 for a new R5. Scopes (a nice scope) will run $325 on the low end (Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 with mildot reticle from Midway... currently on sale); ~$500-600 in the middle (Vortex viper); or $1000+ to more $$ than I paid for my first car for a Nightforce. With optics, you typically get what you pay for. I'm not sure about gun shows out here... but you should be able to shop around for a used but not abused hunting rifle, with a scope and a single stage press for your $1000... hope this helps!

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    "Jacks-of-all-trades" are usually masters of none. If you want a mid-range tactical rifle, go 308 (Remington 700... but I'm partial to Remingtons) and dump money into a nice scope. Bear in mind that you can dump the better part of your $1000 budget on glass alone for a nice tactical set-up. If you want something to take everything that walks or crawls in the lower 48... you'd be hard pressed to top the 30-06 (Remington Long Action, Winchester M70, or a Savage 110), a moderately priced 3x9 scope, and a reloading press. About your budget: Tactical rifle... You can probably pick up a Remington PSS in an HS Precision stock for ~$800 or so. Used might be less. Probably closer to $1000 for a new R5. Scopes (a nice scope) will run $325 on the low end (Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 with mildot reticle from Midway... currently on sale); ~$500-600 in the middle (Vortex viper); or $1000+ to more $$ than I paid for my first car for a Nightforce. With optics, you typically get what you pay for. I'm not sure about gun shows out here... but you should be able to shop around for a used but not abused hunting rifle, with a scope and a single stage press for your $1000... hope this helps!

True and I think if there was a particular exact use that I would use it for such as bear hunting mid range or elk hunting long range or varmint hunting at 100 yards, then there is a better answer. But since id like a good go to rifle that would handle a large amount of situations then a good all around caliber becomes a better option with a limited budget. If I was rich then I'd have one of everything, but a 308 could be used for varmint as well as hogs all the way up to larger deer, elk, etc at a wide variety of ranges. From what I've read I'm not too sure the extra recoil, shorter barrel life, more expensive factory ammo, etc is worth the trade off of moving up to .30-06. I do own a mosin and the 7.62x54r is a pretty stout round but I'm really looking for something lighter and a little shorter in length. That's why an AR conversion peaks my interest as well. The AR with its shorter barrel and ease of handing makes for a good shooter. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a little while to maybe find a deal on a used 308 or 30-06 rifle and if the deals good enough I might hop on either one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Either caliber, don't go lightweight - part of the reason why Mosin's kick like they do is they're a relatively light rifle, steel plate on the butt doesn't help either.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Lotta gun for little loot. The original "do all" round is 257 Roberts. There isn't hardly anything you can't kill with a 257.

:thumbsup: Another sweetheart of a round.

Another reason I say we don't need any more cartridges BUT the 300 Savage I believe is a couple years it's senior and it might be a smidgen better.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    But how many 7mm rounds can you shoot before it isn't fun anymore. I'm trying to find that magical balance.

Now THAT is on you. I had a 7 Mag and it was a great hunter BUT it stung like a somebitch. Out of my comfort zone. I own several 06's, THAT is my cartridge and in my comfort zone even though they aren't that different, Shoot one and see how YOU like it, if you're 120 lbs I doubt you will (or an 06 for that matter)

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    But how many 7mm rounds can you shoot before it isn't fun anymore. I'm trying to find that magical balance.

20 rounds of .270 WSM (a bit less recoil than 7mm)is enough to leave a VERY NICE bruise for a couple weeks. Having a good recoil pad makes all the difference though. The stock, hard rubber pad on my Savage is nearly worthless but a slip on Pachmayr Decelerator makes it feel like a kitten. If you're hunting, don't worry about recoil since you probably won't feel it anyway. If you're shooting a lot from a bench then I would suggest something that has a bit more manageable recoil. Also, if you think you're going to be putting a lot of rounds down range you need to consider barrel life too. Magnums typically burn barrels much faster than non magnums.

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    ^^thats a consideration as well. I'm going to get into reloading but I don't know where to start on that. There's so many machines and I don't have the first clue on what machine and what else I would need to start. The mosin kicks like a mule too. That didn't seem to bother me much. You can feel it especially with the hard plate but not a huge deal. How does 7mm mag or even 308 compare to the recoil of the mosin round?

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    7mm rem mag... will take anything in north america. light 115gr loads all the way to 200gr.

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    If you look on the side of the rifle it also says .308 Caliber not cartridge. But technically you're right but it seems to me that if firearm manufacturers interchange them then I think we can too. But yes, technically, you're correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tse3gbs

Latest threads

Top Bottom