• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    This looks like one of those cases where a formal education is at odds with common sense. :sad20: I have not come across a J turn yet, but is there a benefit of these over a regular roundabout or traffic circle?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    that is one cluster fudge of a road... let see how many trailer trucks can turn in that design.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    in the 3rd link you can see the wide berth given inthe design for larger trucks.

i saw that.. still.. trailer trucks doesnt turn as fast as regular cars.. i can see it working if its signalized.. but it doesnt seem it is.. maybe wrong.

i design few roads myself.. something new for sure

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    Looks like what they use on Rt 301 between the bay bridge and Delaware. You have to turn right onto 301, go down a little ways then do a u-turn instead of just making a left.

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    i saw that.. still.. trailer trucks doesnt turn as fast as regular cars.. i can see it working if its signalized.. but it doesnt seem it is.. maybe wrong.

i design few roads myself.. something new for sure

It looks like they plan to force traffic to navigate two-lanes at a time instead of four. For cars, it's not so bad. But a trucker has to turn right, merge into traffic, get in the left lane for the turn, and then merge into traffic again AND THEN get in the right lane for the turn.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It looks like they plan to force traffic to navigate two-lanes at a time instead of four. For cars, it's not so bad. But a trucker has to turn right, merge into traffic, get in the left lane for the turn, and then merge into traffic again AND THEN get in the right lane for the turn.

exactly... too much turning.. crossing other cars what not.. :tdown::tdown:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Wow now it's tactical? When I learned it it wasn't called tactical. Someone shoot me. What's next, tactical coffee? I blame Magpul and those 2 goofs in the videos.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    I wonder if they even know how many tractor trailers and farm equipment cross that road. Yes it is dangerous, but that new design could be just as dangerous when trying to yield with a fully loaded truck.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    There is one up on Rt 141 in Delaware just north of Rt 13 by the Airport. It's a cluster to get across when RT 141 is busy in a car. Which is always. I've seen trucks bang the J turn there, and traffic comes to a halt.

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    You have to love how the FHTA starts their PDF on J-Turns:

"Today's transportation professionals, with limited resources available to them..."

That bureaucrat-speak roughly translates to:

"Hey! We are super-awesome! And you cheapo-taxpayers get this kind of crap because you don't give us more of your money!"

:lol2:

Kotyaer

Jan 14, 2012
    ESVA
    Drove up to Snow Hill today, saw a whole bunch of surveyors (one decided to test my brakes, even, by running across the road, even though he saw me coming...) Guess they're for real about this. It's going to jack up my commute to one of my accounts. Glad I'm paid hourly for the travel time, though...

Kotyaer

Jan 14, 2012
    ESVA
    You have to love how the FHTA starts their PDF on J-Turns:

"Today's transportation professionals, with limited resources available to them..."

That bureaucrat-speak roughly translates to:

"Hey! We are super-awesome! And you cheapo-taxpayers get this kind of crap because you don't give us more of your money!"

:lol2:

Look man, just give us more of your money, we'll have this sorted out real quick, we swear... You'll get the new, improved, awesome $ turn! How it works? Well, we have no frackin' idea... Won't know, until we build it, really. Kind of like that healthcare stuff. You'll be fine, we swear! Now just bend on over... so we can service your account...

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    Drove up to Snow Hill today, saw a whole bunch of surveyors (one decided to test my brakes, even, by running across the road, even though he saw me coming...) Guess they're for real about this. It's going to jack up my commute to one of my accounts. Glad I'm paid hourly for the travel time, though...

Don't blame the surveyors. They are probably trying to dodge more traffic than you are! They just want to put a stick in the ground at a certain point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom