• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I've been a member of a shooting club in Fairfax for some time now. I go 3-8 tines per year (not nearly enough).

I've heard a lot of great things about our Izaak Walton locations.

Any thoughts or suggestions on getting in or even checking it out?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    You have Bethesda Chevy Chase Chapter in Poolsville ------ BCC chapter issac walton and
    Issac Walton Damascus Chapter and The Rockville Chapter.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Izaak Walton Damascus chapter is full right now and closed to new members. It's a great chapter with nice, clean ranges, privacy, etc... There might be a waiting list still if you wish to apply.

Paige

Jan 30, 2008
    Brennan and I are members of the York IWLA. They have an absolutely fantastic group of guys! They weren't the main reason we moved to Shrewsbury, but it was certainly a bonus getting to be only 10 minutes away.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    PS I'm located in Montgomery County.

I like the folks at the Izaak Walton Frederick #1

I'm on the board of the Frederick Chapter, and would be more than happy to talk with you about our chapter. Please PM me if you're interested.

There are several chapters in Maryland however, and depending on where you live in Montgomery county, there may be one of more chapters more convenient to you. Here is a link showing all the Maryland chapter locations and websites: https://sites.google.com/site/marylanddivision/chapters

Each chapter has its strong points, and each has its own personality. I encourage you to look through each website, and then reach out to the clubs that you think may be a fit. It's been my experience that most clubs are happy to talk with potential new members and show them around.

Good luck in finding a home at one of our MD Division chapters!

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I used to be a member in Rockville (Germantown really). I had some health issues and didn't get there much. No sponsor required. Not as large as some of the others but nice people. It's on Waring Station road right off Clopper Rd.

www.iwla-rockville.org

Last edited:

olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    I belong to the Arligton-Fairfax IWLA chapter. I found it equi-distant from where I live (drivetime-wise). My brother belongs there, so it makes sense for me. It's a good range and good folks. Joining requires some sweat equity but isn't too onerous. Good people and solid RSOs. All are willing to help if asked and enjoy conversation. I've learned a lot from the previous generation that shoots there. All that said, I don't get out there (or any range for that matter) as much as if like. Let me know of you have any questions.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I used to be a member in Rockville (Germantown really). I had some health issues and didn't get there much. No sponsor required. Not as large as some of the others but nice people. It's on Waring Station road right off Clopper Rd.

www.iwla-rockville.org

I am a Rockville chapter member. Pistol range is first-rate. Eight covered shooting positions. Target positions at 7 through 50 yards. Rifle range is limited, as you can only shoot bench, at 50, 100 and 138 yards.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I'm on the board of the Frederick Chapter, and would be more than happy to talk with you about our chapter. Please PM me if you're interested.

There are several chapters in Maryland however, and depending on where you live in Montgomery county, there may be one of more chapters more convenient to you. Here is a link showing all the Maryland chapter locations and websites: https://sites.google.com/site/marylanddivision/chapters

Each chapter has its strong points, and each has its own personality. I encourage you to look through each website, and then reach out to the clubs that you think may be a fit. It's been my experience that most clubs are happy to talk with potential new members and show them around.

Good luck in finding a home at one of our MD Division chapters!

I have a few questions about #1. What are the rules on rapid fire. I hear that there are issues on that at the club and there seems to be conflicting standards at the range. You can't shoot faster than every three seconds unless in a class. Why is that especially if everyone needs to be an NRA RSO to shoot.

Also what are the rules for tactical shoots with black rifles. Are the times when you can move down range to shoot or does all firing have to be done on the line.

What are the rules for drawing from holsters and why since everyone has to pass a test "RSO" to shoot?

In the rules it says you must "qualify" to shoot in the 200 yard lane. Also it denotes certain skills are required. What is the qualification and what are the certain skills required. Why is all this required? Is the lane unsafe?

I see you have tripled the membership fee. What has facilities has the club expanded by that factor to warrant that increase.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I have a few questions about #1. What are the rules on rapid fire. I hear that there are issues on that at the club and there seems to be conflicting standards at the range. You can't shoot faster than every three seconds unless in a class. Why is that especially if everyone needs to be an NRA RSO to shoot.

Also what are the rules for tactical shoots with black rifles. Are the times when you can move down range to shoot or does all firing have to be done on the line.

What are the rules for drawing from holsters and why since everyone has to pass a test "RSO" to shoot?

In the rules it says you must "qualify" to shoot in the 200 yard lane. Also it denotes certain skills are required. What is the qualification and what are the certain skills required. Why is all this required? Is the lane unsafe?

I see you have tripled the membership fee. What has facilities has the club expanded by that factor to warrant that increase.

Good morning Trailman, and thanks for your interest in the IWLA Frederick Chapter #1! The membership fees for individual and family memberships are $95 & $142.50, respectively.

The regular chapter meeting is tomorrow evening at 7pm. I encaurage you and anyone else interested in the organization to attend so we can meet real time, put faces with names, and address these range SOP-related questions in person with the appropriate members of our chapter leadership.

I look forward to meeting you tomorrow evening!

Last edited:

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Brennan and I are members of the York IWLA. They have an absolutely fantastic group of guys! They weren't the main reason we moved to Shrewsbury, but it was certainly a bonus getting to be only 10 minutes away.

I've been meaning to get up there for months.......

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Good morning Trailman, and thanks for your interest in the IWLA Frederick Chapter #1! The membership fees for individual and family memberships are $95 & $142.50, respectively.

The regular chapter meeting is tomorrow evening at 7pm. I encaurage you and anyone else interested in the organization to attend so we can meet real time, put faces with names, and address these range SOP-related questions in person with the appropriate members of our chapter leadership.

I look forward to meeting you tomorrow evening!

Funny your membership page says $250 and $300, respectively?

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Funny your membership page says $250 and $300, respectively?

Look forward to talking with you & other interested people about it real-time at our next meeting. If you're not interested, I'm not sure why you're spending so much time & energy obsessing over our chapter.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Look forward to talking with you & other interested people about it real-time at our next meeting. If you're not interested, I'm not sure why you're spending so much time & energy obsessing over our chapter.

Sorry, I was a member there for years before it went downhill. IMO the range is dangerous. The range rules are flippin nuts and you are misleading people about the membership fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom