• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    What ever happened to the Izaak Walton League that used to be in Charles count not that long ago ??

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    made me curious web page last updated 2013 sold Hughesville property sold to fund another outdoor project then crickets. Couple years ago I did a volunteer thing for the MSI table at the local gun show in Bel Air MD the Izsak youngster where all over that event

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cart & horse question .

They dwindled to the point they couldn't swing the comparitively modest payments on their nice property .

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The same thing happened to the IWL as happened to the Charles county , the demographics changed

Chuck county is lost to the liberals and liberals hate organizations like the IWL

I had many a great time at events in their building but like I said, chuck county is lost now

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Sad to see it go.
    The IWL failed in it's outreach and PR.
    They are a conservation group at it's core, wrapped around youth education and outdoor activities. What is to hate about that??

I bet your there are 100s (1000s) of local families that would die to have access to a group/facility like that if it only existed,,, and that was the problem, to 99.999% percent of the population it did not exist, because no one knew about them.

The same thing happened to the IWL as happened to the Charles county , the demographics changed

Chuck county is lost to the liberals and liberals hate organizations like the IWL

I had many a great time at events in their building but like I said, chuck county is lost now

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Looks like they sold the waldorf property to Charles county in 2014 (Tax map)

They pretty much folded from what I can tell.

Cart & horse question .

They dwindled to the point they couldn't swing the comparitively modest payments on their nice property .

^^^^^^All of the above is mostly accurate.

I was a member of the IWLA, here in "Waldawf" for about 10 years, up to the end.
    I was on the BOD at the end (and for a couple of years, prior).

A previous BOD decided to expand the building at the 'new' site, and mortgaged the building and land, to pay for their (IMNSHO) extravagant addition.
    Due to (again, IMNSHO) they didn't have any idea as to how they were going to pay the Note, and after several years, the "writing was on the wall".

We (the membership and BOD) came up with a couple of plans to save the land and sell the building and a small piece of the land, for a parking area.

One sale bid fell through, due to zoning. (A man and his family were going to buy the piece of property, and farm it. He was going to convert the building for retail sale and a portion of is was going to be converted to be his home. The county basically said, "Hell no.")
    One sale was within a few days of Settlement, when the bank holding the Note put the property/building/assets up for Auction.

Seriously....... we were within less than a week of Settlement, where the building would be sold, along with 5 acres (for parking) and the IWLA Southern MD Chapter would keep the remaining (almost) 134 acres.

I have my beliefs and suspicions, that a (now former) local politician didn't want us to remain neighbors.
    I have no 'proof' of that, except for what I've personally heard from others, and added 2+2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom