• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm thinking about joining IWL BCC in Poolesville. any members on here and what do you think about the facility?

I have heard it is a nice facility. I just joined the one in Rockville because it's closer to my home (Bethesda). I have used the range a couple of times already. Rockville s not nearly as large as BCC but closer for me and the members always seem very friendly.

I'm sure you'd enjoy it. There is also one in Damascus/Mt. Airy (Wildlife Achievement Chapter) that is supposed to be first rate as well.

I don't think you can go wrong at any of them if you want to use their ranges.

Stu

Boqueesha

Nov 6, 2008
    Montgomery Village
    Where's the Rockville location? I know of one off Muddy Branch Rd. (assuming Gaithersburg?) and one off Travilah Rd. (which I'm guessing has a "N. Potomac" address) I don't belong but I'm starting to think I should just go ahead and join one since they're so close...and I don't like Gilbert's. I think I remember reading on one of the websites that one/or some have a pond stocked that you can fish at too.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    I'm a member at the one in Poolesville, and the facilities are more expansive than anywhere else in MD, with the exception of the rifle and pistol range. Neither is as large as some of the others. But to make up for it they have:

- Trap AND skeet/sporting clays ranges
    - Target archery
    - 3D archery course
    - Fishpond (c&r only)
    - about 500 acres of land that is open to hunting for members
    - Nature trail
    - campground
    - garden plots for the members
    - and other stuff I'm sure I forgot.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    It look's top notch! I'm about the same distance to several IWL-damascus-frederick-rockville-and more! Going next wed. -for dinner meeting - 3rd wed of every month - in Poolesville to see the facility. I like CRESAP, but, Weekends only. I'm told after you become a R.O. you can go almost anytime.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I've been a member for years, past board member at BCC (Poolesville). Dinner meeting is this Wed (3rd Wed of every month). You need to go to 3 dinner meetings to join.
    I am the guy with the 2 labs running around outside at the dinner meeting, say hi, my real name is Lawrence.
    Its a great club, I do more shotgun than metallic stuff these days but we have it all.
    Also a picnic and swap meet on Fathersday. I will have a table at the swap meet.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Where's the Rockville location? I know of one off Muddy Branch Rd. (assuming Gaithersburg?) and one off Travilah Rd. (which I'm guessing has a "N. Potomac" address) I don't belong but I'm starting to think I should just go ahead and join one since they're so close...and I don't like Gilbert's. I think I remember reading on one of the websites that one/or some have a pond stocked that you can fish at too.

It's on Waring Station Road just off Clopper Road. Yes, they have a stocked pond for fisjhing as well. I have used the range a couple of times since joining. I have also shot at the NRA Range out off 66 in VA Nice facility. I agree, I didn't like the vibe at Gilbert's either. Maybe it was just me. I also don't like to be forced into buying ammo from them. It is said it is a zoning requirement, and since it's in uber liberal People's Republik of Montgomery County that may be true. I just want to purchase my own ammo.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    All the IWLA Chapters are seperate entities. You need a swipe card to even get in the gate at BCC. We leave it open for dinner meetings, classes, sporting clays league shoots and things like earth day.
    The biggets advantage of BCC over Damascus which is the other big chapter is our members can hunt deer, turkey & doves on out 530 acres. I am pretty sure we are the only chapter that has hunting. We do have 2 stocked ponds but they are catch & release if that matters.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Went to the dinner meeting tonight, got two sponsors, saw two guys that i know and met alot of nice people -good food too! Took a look at the shotgun facilities, but, didn't get a chance to see much else. Nice place! I didn't see a guy with 2-labs at the meeting(were you there?) Hope to see/meet MDS members next dinner meeting. I was the guy in the White Marlin Open "08 teeshirt. Maybe my MDS hat will arrive before the next meet.

Amadeus

Feb 12, 2014
    Maryland
    Hi all
    new member here, can someone guide me where to find info about membership for the IWL in Poolsville? I see comments about attending dinners?
    Thanks

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    go to www.bcciwla.org all the info should be there.
    To join you need to attend 3 dinner meetings which are the 3rd Wednesday of each month. The food is usually pretty good and it's good people.
    Looking at this thread, I am now the guy with 1 lab and unfortunately he isnt one of the original two but he is a pretty good dog.

Chunker, PM me if you want to shoot shotgun on a Sunday. I am a bluewater fish guy too, and hopefully will be more so soon if my buddy in Rehoboth buys the Grady he is looking at.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I'm a longtime member at Damascus and I try to go once a week. As far as new members, I think there is now a cap except for adult family of existing members. I might be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom