• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hankhank

Jan 31, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Are any of the IWI 7.62 x 39 rifles legal in MD? I see something called a Galil 7.62 x 39 ACE pistol. It seems as if the pistol is legal but the rifle is not. Is that correct?

Do any IP carry IWI 7.62 x 39 MD legal firearms?

Thanks

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The rifle is legal. You just need to make sure it doesn't have a flash hider on it (or pin the folding stock).

Mr_Bojenkals

Mar 30, 2018
    Severn, MD
    The MD Firearms search lists the Galil Ace GAR1639 (7.62x39) rifle as banned since 8/8/2019. The only MD legal Ace rifle is the .308 version, and the only IWI pistol on the roster right now is the Masada 9mm.

Attachments

• IWI Galil Ace Ban Status.jpg
      IWI Galil Ace Ban Status.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 466

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The MD Firearms search lists the Galil Ace GAR1639 (7.62x39) rifle as banned since 8/8/2019. The only MD legal Ace rifle is the .308 version, and the only IWI pistol on the roster right now is the Masada 9mm.

"copycat" weapon means that it falls under the evil features test. For the 1639, you need to remove one of the evil features. 1639 has detachable mag, folding stock and flash hider (FH). Remove the FH, you are good to go. FFLs wil do this for you before transferring the rifle. The 308 model does not fall under the evil features test because it comes with a muzzle brake not a FH. You may add a muzzle brake to 1639 (1639 is threaded 5/8x24 same as standard US/NATO 308 barrels for your pleasure and will basically take any standard 308 muzzle brake). Note that a suppressor in MD counts as a flash hider, so you may not use either suppressed, in MD, unless you switch out the folding stock. There are some aftermarket accessories that allow you to use an AR (non-folding) stock.

see also post #2

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Also, the ACE is not 100% parts compatible with the AR or ARM models, so they're wrong about the other two as well. That list is something you should be aware of, but it's not always correct.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    "Copycat weapon" with a capital "C" is a features test, defined by statute. See here: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

4) If this is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine, does it have any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor; If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

If it has too many evil features, simply remove one (or more) until the rifle may be sold. I have bolded the two that typically get people into trouble. That combo is totally unsafe for the children!

This is not to be confused with "copy" of a named assault rifle. Copies (which means fully interchangeable) of banned rifles are banned.

Mr_Bojenkals

Mar 30, 2018
    Severn, MD
    "Copycat weapon" with a capital "C" is a features test, defined by statute. See here: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

If it has too many evil features, simply remove one (or more) until the rifle may be sold. I have bolded the two that typically get people into trouble. That combo is totally unsafe for the children!

This is not to be confused with "copy" of a named assault rifle. Copies (which means fully interchangeable) of banned rifles are banned.

Wow, thanks for the clarification. Go figure that some simple syntax would make such a difference.

That said, the Zastava M70 NPAP and the IWI Galil in 7.62x39 should be good to go because they are both listed as copycats? Given they are transferred without a combo of 2 evil features--so pretty much no muzzle device to make it easy.

P.S. Sorry if I'm derailing your thread OP.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wow, thanks for the clarification. Go figure that some simple syntax would make such a difference.

That said, the Zastava M70 NPAP and the IWI Galil in 7.62x39 should be good to go because they are both listed as copycats? Given they are transferred without a combo of 2 evil features--so pretty much no muzzle device to make it easy.

P.S. Sorry if I'm derailing your thread OP.

not quite -A flash hider counts against the enumerated evil features. A muzzle brake does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom