• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I've been thinking for quite a while about getting a set of elephant ivory grips for a dark 1911 I have. I have the polymer ivory on a Ruger Blackhawk and really like the look on black or a blued finish. After some extensive Google searching the consensus is they are tough and hold up pretty good to use.

Wanted to hear from any of the members with experience?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I personally wouldn't buy (legal) ivory grips. Purchasing legal ivory still helps create demand for the black market poachers... blah blah etc

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I personally wouldn't buy (legal) ivory grips. Purchasing legal ivory still helps create demand for the black market poachers... blah blah etc

x2 on this. I hate sounding like a bleeding heart liberal, but elephants and rhinos are being wiped out due to ivory. There is no 'good' ivory since it drives the black market. Senseless slaughter of animals goes against everything I was taught about wildlife preservation (be it North American or foreign game.)

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    It's not just the unmanaged slaughter of the game, the revenue funds terrorist groups such as Joseph Kony's rebels, Al Shabab, and the Islamic Courts Union.

I really don't feel this has anything to do with Liberalism.

Yeah the Mammoth stuff is sweet but pricey as hell...I'm looking at about $300 for Elephant.

Is it really that expensive? My grandmother used to have several boxes full of cut up tusks my grandfather found in Alaska while building the pipeline. I remember playing with them and taking some to school as a kid for show-and-tell.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kind of agree on skipping the ivory as it indirectly funds many bad things. It's a personal thing I guess.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    I once had a wallet made from an elephants foreskin. Worked great and if you rubbed it a couple times it became a full sized suitcase.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Go with antlers. Ivory is plain wrong.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider it if I though any of the reputable dealers were using illegal ivory...after the ban date.

I do like those Elk horns also, that was my second favorite. Saw a cop in Texas with those on his 1911...sweet!

Yeah, I wouldn't consider it if I though any of the reputable dealers were using illegal ivory...after the ban date.

I do like those Elk horns also, that was my second favorite. Saw a cop in Texas with those on his 1911...sweet!

If buying ivory, remember to always keep the legal ivory docs with the firearm. Always! They can and will be confiscated if you don't have the docs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom