• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    While going through my Uncle's house after his passing my Grandmom found the Kentucky Rifle kit that she bought him back around 1980. All of the pieces are still with it, as well as the exploded assembly pictures.
    KentuckyRifle.jpg

Barrelleft.jpg

Barrelright.jpg

The left side of the barrel is marked
    Sears Roebuck and Co. Chicago, Il
    Made in Japan, Minoku 56**
    The right side is marked
    Kentucky Rifle Model 292.51766
    45 Cal. Black Powder Only.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    awesome, should make fora nice shooter.

my brother's got a .50 cal traditions that looks very similar, two piece stock and all, and he loves it, affordable and accurate shooter.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    That ain't a puzzle, it's a project! :)
    Projects demand to be completed! :innocent0

We'll be awaiting pics of your progress...:D

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    I found out a little while ago that my Grandmom has the box lid for the kit, so i will be getting that as well. It's dated October '81, this family heirloom makes three pieces I have that are stamped with the Sears name or J.C. Higgins, four if you count the 4x scope on my Revelation single shot .22. As for the others I have a J.C. Higgins model 103.18 single shot .22, and a Sears model 101.7 double barrel 12 gauge. I'm also getting a 16 gauge bolt action J.C. Higgins from my Dad and step Mom for Christmas. I'm starting to see a pattern, maybe I should stick to the store brand guns. There are some realy nice firearms made by reputable firms that have been over looked because they have a store name or store brand name stamped on them. As I posted in the thread about favorite .22s, that little Revelation that I have is by far the most acurate firearm I own, and it's topped with a 4x scope that's cloudy.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've always wanted to attempt one of those kits, it sounds like fun, especially when you can give it a custom color finish. The only thing that turns me away from is the fact the kits are almost as much as buying a complete, ready to shoot, gun. I also have read lots of stories about the kits needing some serious wood work to complete, nothing major, just a lot of additional work, but, it's a kit, you expect that. However, keep us updated on the project. I sure everybody would be interested in the step-by-step details of your assembly to completion, sounds interesting on this end.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    Most of the work that I have to do is fitting the forearm and the brass spacer. It seems my Uncle did all the stock fitting before he set it aside, the butt plate was attached when I got it. I'm not sure what was used for the stock, but it will be stained dark walnut. I've chosen to use a rear sight from a Marlin model 100 instead of the supplied fixed rear sight.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    JC Higgins 12 gauge pump and Revelation single shot .22 were my first guns. The Higgins actually belongs to my dad but it was always mine to use. The Revelation finally broke (bad firing pin or spring) but man when she was shooting, it was incredibly accurate! Enjoy that kit gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom