• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I think it would be more appreciated in here than the handgun forum.....

Picked up this Hungarian FEG 7.65mm AP~MBP that has matching numbers a few months ago for about $100 with no grips... It was sitting in my safe for a while and I got tired of trying to find replacements for it at a discount price, so I located these Rosewood grips from a seller in Thailand. They were about $10 more than original replacements were going for on GB or Ebay, so it was worth it I think... Thoughts?

12DDFF90-57B9-4A01-9D8B-B45C0B6CB3D3.JPG

B1D3F088-F39F-415A-A90C-72CDE91B7655.JPG

6FE7F3BA-32CB-47C0-865F-318536E9D482.JPG

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Something about that wood and bluing being as worn as it is in that area just looks right. Pretty neat little pistol :thumbsup:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Part of me thinks you should bleach/age them to match the patina of the gun...

Part of me thinks you should re-blue the gun to match the grips...

Pretty sweet just like it is, too...

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Gonna take it shooting on Friday, if its a good shooter I may refinish it or bring it to bollingers. If its nothing special, ill throw it back in the safe and prolly forget about it. ;)

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Gonna take it shooting on Friday, if its a good shooter I may refinish it or bring it to bollingers. If its nothing special, ill throw it back in the safe and prolly forget about it. ;)

I heart this sentiment SOO much.

I'm not a big one for the "OMFG orginaaallll" fetish. I understand it as long as it's not a detriment to the operation or spirit of the weapon, but when a weapon is still actionable, I give zero f***s for "patina" or "history of the model." Nothing disgusts me more than a rifle or pistol left to wear away solely because it "needs to be kept original." Can you shoot it? "Well, no...that would ruin it's..." *COMMENCE BEATING*

I look at it like this: Imagine if the original maker/designer of that weapon showed up 100 years later and found in the depths of your safe an unkempt gun with its finish worn away and its action loose. He would look at you like you were a madman. "WHY HAVE YOU ALLOWED MY GUN TO GET IN THIS STATE???" "Well, _I_ didn't, but now, you see, it's a collector's item."

He would look at you like you'd been dropped as a child.

Unfortunately, most people have equated the necessity for conserving and collecting singular items of historical or particular note (such as individual weapons used in singular acts, or prototypes and other intensely individual items--the keeping in an unadulterated state, I completely agree with), with anything bearing any sort of age.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that if I have an M1911 refinished at Bollinger's, it is a travesty of nature; but if I but if I buy a CMP-refinished M1, it's acquiring a piece of American History.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom