• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    For all you gun toting computer geeks looking for work:D

There are currently a few hot-fill opportunities for wiremen or IT/SysAdmin personnel who are interested in going to Afghanistan. A company that is supporting the Marines is looking for folks with active Secret Clearances (or who have had them within the past 24 months) to go to Afghanistan for a year to fill some key billets.

Compensation: $130,000 - $150,000 ($48-58k base + Overtime + Hazard + Hardship + Great benefits)

Misc: 1 year commitment, work 6 days/week, 10 hours/day, living conditions are A/C Tents (Hard shelters are coming) and commercial meals, 5 days of leave every 6 months, plus PTO (most guys stay in the region or go to Europe)

Personnel need to be available to start by late October. Details below.

Interested personnel should contact Mr. John Lutkenhouse at 800-282-0360 ext 140 or at JLutkenhouse@LucasGroup.com

Company: Communications in support of DoD

Position 1: Inside Cabling Techs

Description: Two teams of five personnel and one team of ten will deploy to the three main locations within Regional Command SouthWest.

Tasks and Skillsets:

* Internal Cat V wiring and termination, both with RJ-45 and keystone jacks in buildings. Ability to troubleshoot and isolate faults in building wiring and repair them.
    * Ability to install cable trays and ensure a clean and professional installation

Experience Level: Prefer two years experience in a tactical environment. Experience with telephone punch down blocks.

Position 2: Outside Cabler

Description: Three teams of six personnel will deploy to the three main locations within the Regional Command SouthWest.

Tasks and Skillsets:

* Install pit and duct systems plus pulling commercial grade fiber optic cable.
    * Ability to troubleshoot, plus tip single and multi-mode fiber.

Experience Level: Prefer two years experience in a tactical environment.

Position 3: Network Admin

Description: Three teams of three personnel and one team of seven personnel will deploy to the four key locations within Regional Command SouthWest. Team members will manage the local area networks (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) for Regional Command Southwest

Tasks and Skillsets:

* Installing and configuring new hardware and applications, monitoring hardware, software, and daily activity, enforcing licensing agreements, developing a storage management program and providing for routine configuration backups, ensuring that uptime service levels are met while keeping all activities within the principles of network security

Position 4: System Admin

Description: Two teams of five personnel, one team of three personnel and one team of seven personnel will deploy to the four key locations within Regional Command SouthWest. Team members will manage the client and server infrastructure for Regional Command Southwest

Tasks and Skillsets:

* Installing, configuring, upgrading, and monitoring client and server operating systems and hardware, documents systems, performs regular backups, troubleshoots hardware and operating system problems, including but not limited to domain controllers, electronic mail and file servers

Position 5: HelpDesk Techs

Description: Three teams of three personnel and one team of ten personnel will deploy to four key locations within Regional Command SouthWest. Team members will be the core for data user support.

Tasks and Skillsets:

* Basic PC connectivity troubleshooting
    * Laptop imaging
    * Basic IP troubleshooting
    * Build user accounts on the domain
    * Join a PC to the domain
    * Assign user accounts to appropriate groups and appropriate permissions
    * Build exchange mailboxes
    * Troubleshoot user email issues
    * Tracking paperwork & Scanning documents
    * Troubleshoot Printers and map shared printers
    * Assigning rights to shared drive folders

SF,

John Lutkenhouse

Executive Senior Partner

jlutkenhouse@lucasgroup.com

sandiegomilitary@lucasgroup.com

Lucas Group

In Partnership With The Wall Street Journal
    5935 Cornerstone Ct. W, Suite #130
    San Diego, CA 92121

P: 858-457-2005 ext. 140
    P: 800-282-0360 ext. 140
    F: 858-558-0704
    http://www.lucasgroup.com/mili...asp?MRC=jlutkenhouse

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a clearance, but I doubt if the Missus would let me go - aside from that, I'm a database guy, not sys admin or helpdesk, and I don't do cabling either

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would do the help-desk/cabling if I had the clearance. Sys-admining takes too much thought.

They're Windows systems. I could train a monkey to do that :D

This sounds like fun, too bad a: it's Windows, and b: I can't take my own rifle. Contractors aren't allowed to go armed.

Jim

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I could do all of those. I could also use a year off from life, make a lot of money at the same time. Doubt the wife would agree though.

If I did, could I get a thigh holster and put a .45 in it while I was there?

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    Damn no secret clearance but currently work for NOAA. but i don't think my company or my wife would appreciate it.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    No guns..........I made the reference because every IT guy I know is a gun nut and there are many on this forum:lol2:

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    I haven't had a clearance in 5 years, and it was just interim secret. Otherwise I could easily do the help desk work.

Edit - heck, thanks for lab support work I am even somewhat experienced working in.."interesting" environments. (blood borne pathogens and such)

Last edited:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    No guns..........I made the reference because every IT guy I know is a gun nut and there are many on this forum:lol2:

So, basically this is like being offered money to marry and go on a honeymoon with a gorgeous supermodel with huge **** and pouting lips... but no sex allowed. Gotcha. ;)

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    As far as the specs go "I dont know shit" other than what's in the OP. I found this on another site that does not have many if any in the IT field and know for a fact that there are many here at MDS. Just passing it on..

If you qualify drop them a line. I know I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom