It appears as though the deer hunting is drying up ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I am not southern Maryland but I really really wish you guys (and me) could hunt in my lawn. I am tired of paintballing the 10 point buck that keeps knawing on my plum tree.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Seems like you guys aren't looking for deer in the right places.

Attachments

• deer.JPG
      deer.JPG
      102.4 KB · Views: 194

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Seems like I saw tons of them during bow season, but since shotgun season kicked in they have all but disappeared. Not sure if it's the weather or what but there has definitely been a noticeable decrease in activity since the end of last month. Bummer

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I am seeing small deer now, I think the older ones have gone nocturnal.

The ones in my area are mainly nocturnal year round, you just see them heading from the fields into the thicket in the morning and late in the evening back out to the fields to eat the father-in-law's and neighbors crops.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    Well, the girlfriend had a couple 8-point bucks in her yard today. I am visiting her for New Years and taking the Mosin with me tomorrow (she lives in rural VA)... Reporting back in a few days :D

woolybooger

Oct 23, 2009
    Essex MD
    I don't know much about southern md, but in carroll co we have been knocking them out. Even in the snow storm I got one, But if I would have waited another 20 min. to start tracking she would have been all coverd up with snow and I would not have found her.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    That's possible :innocent0

Nah no 4-wheeling. I don't even shoot down there all that often. But it's like a vortex of scent down there just cause the way everything is laid out, and I don't have any scent blocker stuff. And that's the only way my cousin takes them out of here. Ninja movement, and completely scentless.
    Deer shouldn't be so damn skiddish. I sing songs to try and attract woodland creatures. It works in all the Disney movies!

LMAO ! Maybe it's not the song... LOL

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    I'm up in Cecil. My dad and I did pretty good this year I got two nice does and two button bucks. Dad got nine two had already been shot and were infected. So the eatable cut of uor farm is 11 to date. Will have to see what the late season brings next weekend.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I have not hunted in years, but my brother in law got a twelve point buck somewhere down off Mackall road. I think he said it should come out somewhere around a 155 to 160 B&C score. It was a pretty rack.

I believe he was hunting on a friends farm, but I guess that means the deer are still around.

I feed them in the woods behind my house as my wife likes to see them come around. No shortage around here.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I saw five in front of my house (on a farm) this morning when I was going to work (4:20am), three bucks and two antherless. Their gone by shooting time though. :mad54:

I was planning on going for the late firearm two day season but had a skin lesion removed yesterday and the Doc said don't lift anything over two pounds until next week. :mad54::mad54: My wife will have a fit but I'm thinking about trying to get into my tree stand one handed. :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not as many as earlier, but still see them on my way to work at night, and on the round trips to and from Daughter's school ( 25 mi round trip ea time, all on back roads), but still seeing some.
    Daughter was psyced to go out after finally getting her Hunter Safety ( my schedule, not her interest. Took her out at home ( didn't want to waste her certificate for free lic). I know that while lots of deer pass thru my property, you've got to be in the right place when their passing thru. But still it was a good learning experience for her to practice being observent ,and being quiet. Now to stop her from waking her father when I snore.
    When I am in position to take off to go hunting on purpose, we will likely be in Va. Actually more deer around home, but the access is too fragmentary .

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Killed three in the firearms season. Due to weather and remaining snow did not even go out during ML season. Kill the last one Saturday evening just before sundown.

How did everyone else do?

Jerry

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yep, I went out the last Saturday evening, saw a deer at about dark, looking through the scope the deer disappeared, could not even make out a silhouette at 30 yards. Walked out onto the field and there stands 3 does, not a chance with the shotgun. I'm going back this afternoon though, taking the old bow with me and see what happens I guess, sorta out of the deer hunter mindset this time of the season, but, the hunters drive inside me says I am supposed to go do this thing regardless of how my brain looks at the situation LOL.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Here's my update. I had three does walk by me at 50 yards yesterday afternoon at 3:50 PM. the bow just would not do it. The squirrels were everywhere though. I took 4 of them with the bow. This afternoon I will take the 17HMR revolver along in the holster, so, I can put some more tree rat in the freezer. If the does come back... well, we'll see what happens with the bow tonight.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    do not take the revolver with you when you are bow hunting. it is illegal
    Look at the 2009-2010 hunting guide on page 19, go to the left column most of the way down the page the very last line in the bow hunting regs. "Firearms may not be carried while hunting deer during the bow season"

I too have sat in my tree a many day wishing I could have a handgun to take the tree rats..

Tuesday evening I had 5 doe come in to me and I shot the biggest one. then on the way off the farm I saw (counted ) 15 deer in one field and several other on the way out. then on the ride home I saw maybe another 25.

the deer are around

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom