• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I"m wondering "works with snap caps" means cause snap caps don't have a primer.
    Just cause he hears a click with a snap cap or dry fire does not mean the primer comes out of the hole.
    you can put a small piece of tape over the front of the bolt face and then rack and pull trigger with nothing in the chamber, that will tell you if the pin is coming out at all.

Now if you said worked with one of those firing pin/striker activated laser cartridges, then it would be a different story.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Ok so I tried to build a slide for my Gen 3 G17, which by the way works fine with current slide (Which I also built from a Brownells slide- bottom is stock OEM Glock). Built this with no (apparent) problem. Dry fires fine. Works fine with snap caps. By this I mean trigger resets when racked and clicks when you pull it. When I load it with real ammo- nothing. I chamber a round and it seems like the trigger/striker is not cocking and or setting. Won’t fire. Taken it all apart and reassembled twice. Same results. Fires fine with first slide.

Thoughts? This has got me stumped. Thanks

For anyone wondering why I wanted another - I wanted a slide with a cut out to mount an RMR.
    I have nothing to add, just glad to see you pop in.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There is a button on the bottom that slide that if the tab sticking up from that trigger bar thingie is not pressing it in, the striker won't go all the way forward. Its supposed to make sure the slide is all the way forward before the striker can hit.
    You will notice that if you pull the striker back w/ the slide off the lower, it won't pop out the hole at the back unless that button is in.
    (hope I'm describing that correctly)
    If you reloaded, you can take a sized case with just a primer and test on the bench (with ear pro). I have never tried this but you may also be able to take a fired shell, thin enough punch and punch the primer back flat, then look for the primer strike to test.
    Just drop a #2 pencil in it, point it straight up, and pull the trigger. The pencil should pop out of the end of the barrel.

Easiest and safest way to test if the firing pin is striking more or less properly.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Just drop a #2 pencil in it, point it straight up, and pull the trigger. The pencil should pop out of the end of the barrel.

Easiest and safest way to test if the firing pin is striking more or less properly.
    Someone else said this. Doesn’t fix the issues that he can dry fire with nothing in the chamber. The issue arises when ge puts live ammo in. Unless I missed something from the OP. He hasn’t mentioned anything since this afternoon.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Someone else said this. Doesn’t fix the issues that he can dry fire with nothing in the chamber. The issue arises when ge puts live ammo in. Unless I missed something from the OP. He hasn’t mentioned anything since this afternoon.

Does not fix but it’s a great idea
    oP says it clicks , that does not mean firing pin is coming out . Pencil method tells you it’s coming out enough to push a pencil
    If the button that blocks the firing pin is blocking it won’t push the pencil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Does not fix but it’s a great idea
    oP says it clicks , that does not mean firing pin is coming out . Pencil method tells you it’s coming out enough to push a pencil
    If the button that blocks the firing pin is blocking it won’t push the pencil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He said the trigger doesn’t even engage with a live round when he chambers one. I agree to make sure the firing pin safety is working and the pin is able to strike the primer, but there have been several suggestions on how to do that and that doesn’t seem to be the root cause. If he was pulling the trigger and it clicks but nothing happens I would explore that avenue. I guess he fixed it since he hasn’t checked back. Good luck with your Glock OP.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I recon we'll have to wait for op to get to the range, since he needs to test with live ammo.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My hypothesis was that he can't hear the striker click with a live round cause he is wearing ear pro. I could be wrong though.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    ... Works fine with snap caps. By this I mean trigger resets when racked and clicks when you pull it. When I load it with real ammo- nothing.
    Are the primers dented with real ammo? I don't own any Glocks, is there a firing pin spring that could be light.
    I was going to suggest this but unmarked real ammo would make this redundant.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Are the primers dented with real ammo? I don't own any Glocks, is there a firing pin spring that could be light.

I was going to suggest this but unmarked real ammo would make this redundant.
    He can't even pull the trigger from what he wrote in the first post.

"When I load it with real ammo- nothing. I chamber a round and it seems like the trigger/striker is not cocking and or setting. Won’t fire."

CF, did you install the channel liner like they mention in the ad? I don't see why this would affect the action with real ammo, VS. dry firing, VS. snap caps?

l_100002697_3.jpg

Last edited:

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Sorry to all for having ghosted you , especially when everyone has been so helpful. Tragedy followed by all hands on deck insanity at work right after this, and then other stuff. (See Coronary Artery Disease thread for details- but bottom line I am fine).
    Anyway here’s what I did and I’m not sure why it’s fixed it but it is fixed. I tried the pencil test, it shot it out with both so that indicated that the firing pin was working. I loaded two cases - primer only- and they fired with both the original and new slide. WTF- at this point I am really baffled. After the primer only I tried a loaded magazine with real cartridges but same as before- wouldn’t fire. I just felt that it was something to do with the safety plunger and/or spring. So I ordered a new safety plunger with spring and swapped it out. Finally got to the range this am and three magazines worth of ammo ran flawlessly. I’ll shoot it more once I get some sights on it.
    Thanks again to all for their comments and suggestions.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorry to all for having ghosted you , especially when everyone has been so helpful. Tragedy followed by all hands on deck insanity at work right after this, and then other stuff. (See Coronary Artery Disease thread for details- but bottom line I am fine).
    Anyway here’s what I did and I’m not sure why it’s fixed it but it is fixed. I tried the pencil test, it shot it out with both so that indicated that the firing pin was working. I loaded two cases - primer only- and they fired with both the original and new slide. WTF- at this point I am really baffled. After the primer only I tried a loaded magazine with real cartridges but same as before- wouldn’t fire. I just felt that it was something to do with the safety plunger and/or spring. So I ordered a new safety plunger with spring and swapped it out. Finally got to the range this am and three magazines worth of ammo ran flawlessly. I’ll shoot it more once I get some sights on it.
    Thanks again to all for their comments and suggestions.
    If the new plunger doesn't work, the problem will likely be the slide itself. Did you try the plunger from the working slide in the non working slide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom