• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    I know this is stuff I can look up on my own -- and I have. As far as I can tell this is all on the up and up. This assumes I am not having a folding stock (which I am not) for the "feature test".

Also, any opinion on whether this is something I should get to complete my first build that I started in July?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-m4-1-7-upper-without-bcg-or-ch-15611.html

Also will this BCG & CH work? I don't see why not, but this is (as I said) my first build.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...uto-bolt-carrier-group-w-charging-handle.html

edit: I should note that I have a mil-spec Spike's lower.

For anyone who is interested, here is my lower:

http://i.imgur.com/WG5wSH3.jpg

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    You had this lower prior to OCT1? Then it does not need to meet the feature test.

For a little more money you can get a better BCG. Wilson Combat was selling theirs for $110 shipped.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    You had this lower prior to OCT1? Then it does not need to meet the feature test.

For a little more money you can get a better BCG. Wilson Combat was selling theirs for $110 shipped.

I have had the lower since July 2013. Pictured above now (edited).

Thanks for the information about Wilson Combat, will check them out for BCG and charging handle. I assume there should be no issue as most of these parts are interchangeable, right?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    PTAC is an unknown brand that refuses to provide any information other than "buy our stuff at PSA!"

I'd be completely unsurprised to learn it was another incarnation of Hesse/Vulcan/et. al.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Thank you for the warning. Would you mind sharing anything in particular that you've read? I don't need top of the line, but I also do not want to buy junk.

Nothing really specific honestly. In a few "lower" and "Upper" threads or the PSA Deal thread, a few people mentioned that the PTAC was really not up to par with PSA products. Read enough of them to make me look while gathering my parts to make sure they were not PTAC. I have no personal experience with them however.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    Nothing really specific honestly. In a few "lower" and "Upper" threads or the PSA Deal thread, a few people mentioned that the PTAC was really not up to par with PSA products. Read enough of them to make me look while gathering my parts to make sure they were not PTAC. I have no personal experience with them however.

Ok, thanks. I appreciate you passing along the information.

I'd go for this PSA upper, but it's all foliage green and my stuff is FDE.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Like I said, with the BCG, spend a few more bucks you get a known, mil-spec, reputable, well reputed Wilson Combat name behind it.

These deals always come around with PSA it seems. Wait for the right time. I know, it sucks.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    That actually is a good deal on that upper. Best price I can find right now for the PRO is $360, which basically puts this upper at $300

Yeah I'm really tempted, but it is only $80 off their regular list price. $80 isn't enough to make me jump. I think I will keep an eye on that though, because I am interested in an AIMPoint red dot.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Yeah I'm really tempted, but it is only $80 off their regular list price. $80 isn't enough to make me jump. I think I will keep an eye on that though, because I am interested in an AIMPoint red dot.

it'll be 11 months or so before they have a better deal. ;)

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    it'll be 11 months or so before they have a better deal. ;)

:lol:

Yeah I know... I guess what I mean is that if I want to buy it in a few months and it isn't on sale, $80 is not something I would lose sleep over (although I don't generally make a habit of spending more than I have to spend on something). I'm just not sure exactly what I want and $80 off isn't enough to convince me that this IS indeed the upper that I want to buy. Know what I mean?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    definitely.

if it helps, i have a chrome-lined PSA non-premium upper on my m4 build. happy enough with it that it often pulls duty as go-to for a bedside gun.

and even at regular price, that's still a good deal on the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom