Is there something wrong with my Beretta 92?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I bought this 92A1 new a few months ago and finally got to shoot it Saturday. The first 10 rounds through the gun were inexpensive Federal white box, then 4 rounds of Sig Sauer V-Crown defense loads, and last a small handful of reloads that didn't have enough energy to eject. I was trying to develop light target loads.

I shot about 30 rounds total and all of the primers look like this and the pic shows 2 of each example. I also included a pic of some targets shot with the factory loads at 50' from a rest. Four of the Federal missed the paper. This is my first semi-auto and the first time shooting a handgun from a rest and I was expecting the groups to be much much tighter then this.

P9050003.jpg

P9050010.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I want to say that looks like over pressure, but it may just be the magnification.

May just be rising where the firing pin struck. The primers don't look flattened.

What was the light load recipe you were using?

As for accuracy, are you normally a good shot?

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I want to say that looks like over pressure, but it may just be the magnification.

May just be rising where the firing pin struck. The primers don't look flattened.

What was the light load recipe you were using?

As for accuracy, are you normally a good shot?

It's not the magnification, they look this bad in person and also have a bulged shape to them.

3.2 grains of Clays with 115 grain bullets. Clays is not supposed to be a good powder for 9mm but I thought I would give it a try anyway. I'm more concerned about the factory loads at this point.

Hard to say about my normal accuracy. I bought a Ruger Security Six in the 70's and that has been my only pistol. I have about 500 rounds through it just plinking cans in the woods but I always seem to out shoot anyone I'm with. I was a guest at a range once and there was a black powder pistol competition going on. They asked me if I wanted to join in using one of their guns and I ended up scoring better than all of them.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    It looks like the primer is flowing into the hole in the slide that the firing pin rides in?
    I have no ides what size the firing pin or it's channel should be to check the dimensions?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's not the magnification, they look this bad in person and also have a bulged shape to them.

3.2 grains of Clays with 115 grain bullets. Clays is not supposed to be a good powder for 9mm but I thought I would give it a try anyway. I'm more concerned about the factory loads at this point.

Hard to say about my normal accuracy. I bought a Ruger Security Six in the 70's and that has been my only pistol. I have about 500 rounds through it just plinking cans in the woods but I always seem to out shoot anyone I'm with. I was a guest at a range once and there was a black powder pistol competition going on. They asked me if I wanted to join in using one of their guns and I ended up scoring better than all of them.

Sounds like you can shoot OK.

Could be as simple as your rifling not liking that particular bullet.

Try a half dozen or so brands and weights and see what happens with the groups.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    It looks like the primer is flowing into the hole in the slide that the firing pin rides in?
    I have no ides what size the firing pin or it's channel should be to check the dimensions?

That is definitely what's going on. I just recently processed 1600 pieces of range 9mm and never saw any primers like this. Maybe it's just the Beretta 92 that does this? I just don't know.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Beretta shouldn't do that.

Firing pin too long maybe, firing pin spring not right, firing pin chamber filthy, or chamber short maybe?

Is it a new pistol or used? If new, may by worth sending it back to Beretta with a sampling of factory ammo cases. Used; I would have a smith check it out if you aren't able to diagnosis it soon yourself.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Sounds like you can shoot OK.

Could be as simple as your rifling not liking that particular bullet.

Try a half dozen or so brands and weights and see what happens with the groups.

This is the last group that I shot. I aimed slightly over the top of the dot instead of the bottom. The rear sight is already at the left edge of the dovetail (factory adjusted). I guess it needs to go a bit farther but would put a small part of the sight out of the dovetail and into open air.

P9050001.jpg

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    My Beretta 92 is my most accurate pistol (meaning I shoot it best). I'll echo iH8DemLibz and say that it doesn't like the bullets you're using.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Beretta shouldn't do that.

Firing pin too long maybe, firing pin spring not right, firing pin chamber filthy, or chamber short maybe?

Is it a new pistol or used? If new, may by worth sending it back to Beretta with a sampling of factory ammo cases. Used; I would have a smith check it out if you aren't able to diagnosis it soon yourself.

It's a new pistol bought at a dealer and the first rounds through it. I think I will take a day off and run it down to Accokeek myself because shipping is such a pain.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Based on my reloading information, you're a half grain shy on the starting load. Bump it up .5 to 1.0 grains and try again.

The FTFs and FTEs may be due to reduced power. Not enough oomph to drive the slide solidly rearward, eject a case, and strip off a fresh round.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Based on my reloading information, you're a half grain shy on the starting load. Bump it up .5 to 1.0 grains and try again.

The FTFs and FTEs may be due to reduced power. Not enough oomph to drive the slide solidly rearward, eject a case, and strip off a fresh round.

Gotcha...I was using the Hodgdon site and Lyman book. Couldn't find much else for Clays in 9mm. Lots of people on forums talking about over pressure problems with Clays in 9mm so I was being cautious.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Shoot 115gr. Ball ammo and see what it does. My M9 ( same pistol) shoots great. I have not fired reloads out of it. 147gr. Works well also.

Everything I fired so far was 115 ball except for the Sig (147 HP) and XTP (115 HP). I guess the plated Rainier would be considered as ball too?

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery

I inspected the area around the firing pin and there is a pretty deep chamfer. I don't know why they would do that but unless they replace the slide with one that doesn't have a chamfer the primers are always going to look like this.

The sight adjustment is bugging me and according to the web they are very difficult to move without a special tool or a lot of hammering. I see now that the front site is a bit to the left which is why the rear site has run out of adjustment to compensate for it. Hopefully they can take care of that and also check the grouping accuracy while they have the gun.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    It's a new pistol bought at a dealer and the first rounds through it. I think I will take a day off and run it down to Accokeek myself because shipping is such a pain.

I think I'd run a few hundred rounds through it before I even begin analyzing problems. Get a bunch of Winchester white box a sling some lead for a couple range trips, also consider having another trusted shooter shoot a couple mags to see their success rate. Sometimes just a grip angle can throw you off until you pick it up and point accurately, the natural point may be off. Pick it up, point, then check your sites to see if the grip angle is right for you.

I'd be a little concerned with those primer/firing pin bulges though, I've never seen that happen.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Looks to me the cartridge is not cambering properly and causing the firing pin to strike the primer too deep. Since it is a new gun I would show the cases to the dealer and see what he/she thinks.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That pistol has issues. Factory ball ammo shouldn't exhibit those primer indicators, the sights shouldn't be that far off given no shooter error. Seems like a barrel issue. Call Beretta for warranty repair...

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    That pistol has issues. Factory ball ammo shouldn't exhibit those primer indicators, the sights shouldn't be that far off given no shooter error. Seems like a barrel issue. Call Beretta for warranty repair...

What if they tell me all of the replacement slides have a chamfer around the firing pin hole. Won't the primer try to fill any hole it finds? I agree that there is no reason for it to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom