• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Is there demand in the market for retro rifles? I know that some are out there (Like a Garand and M1 Carbine) but the prices are astronomical. (To me anyway) What if Mauser made a retro K98 for under a $1000? Or if Remington as a Hail Mary made a SMLE for under $1000. Is there a market?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I dont think they could build them for that. If they were to build good quality copies they would almost certainly cost more than a real k98 or lee enfield.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    If there were a market there'd almost certainly be entrepreneurs exploring them.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Smith and Wesson tried it with a reintroduction of the M1917 ( I think the new model number was 22). If it had been a success, I would think there would be more of them out there (and one in my safe). Colt did a limited run of 1911's (Not A1's...the WWI type). I bought a Colt 1911 made in 1918 for a lot less than the "new" ones are going for, now that they are out of production.

I would love to see something like this (I wonder if real collectors would agree?), but I doubt there is money in it. Too much machining and not enough demand.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Springfield Armory sold their reproduction of the M1 Garand back in the '80s...and it was a fine rifle. If it had sold in enough numbers it would probably still be in production. There's been plenty of companies that have sold new M1 Carbines with limited success. Back in the '50s there a couple of repops of the 1903A3 rifle made but were of questionable quality compared to the real deal.

Basically...the tooling costs to build new versions of such classic rifles would probably be excessive compared to expected sales of a product that would always be worth less than the originals which are already widely available. I don't think the orange would be worth the squeeze.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Ruger Scout rifle.

You can build a nice rifle but if you're trying to reproduce a vintage rifle with full length stocks and all the extra barrel bands and butt plates and other parts to reproduce something like a 1903 or k98, not a chance. They would cost more than a real one currently does if they were the same quality.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Meanwhile, there are enough of the real thing to meet demand. If originals weren't available, yet demand were still high enough to cover production costs, then they would be made.

But you say "retro rifles," and seem to limit it to Mausers and Lee Enfields. There are plenty of retro rifles on the market: reproductions of the Henry rifle, the Winchester 1873, of Sharps rifles. Even Brown Bess muskets. Quality reproductions are not cheap, but where there is a market, capitalism will provide.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    You can build a nice rifle but if you're trying to reproduce a vintage rifle with full length stocks and all the extra barrel bands and butt plates and other parts to reproduce something like a 1903 or k98, not a chance. They would cost more than a real one if they were the same quality.

I agree :thumbsup:

Looking back I overshot the context of the question with regard to a retro rifle reproduction, but going back to the question "controlled feed for under $1k" and Ruger does deliver on that. Now being a Ruger, other than the bolt and barrel everything else metal wise is going to be cast construction of course.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Mark X ( Serbia) and Santa Barbara ( Spain ) actions are reasonably faithful M98 Mauser actions .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom