• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    IMO spikes should drop the ERGO grip and provide a full buffer assembly. Of the things that get tossed out of a LPK the, grip, most do not use the one provided because we all have a specific brand we like. Hell I have like 5 cheap grips that came with LPK and all they are doing is taking up space and I highly doubt they will ever be used unless I entered a contest to make the cheapest AR contest. THE pins, FCG, and maybe the Spikes billet trigger guard do make it worth it but I always felt you could piece your own together and get same if not better pieces.

ShiNNinG

Jul 14, 2008
    White Marsh
    It's pretty much YMMV. I have put 2 stage triggers in all of my builds until the latest one in which I picked up the Enhanced kit. It is out of the box a better trigger than any of the standard single/2 stages I have ever tried. Then again, if you properly polished a standard trigger you should be able to get the same feel and break as the Spikes Enhanced. NiB is nice, but obviously not a huge requirement for most applications. One might split the difference and pick up a standard single stage LPK on the cheap until they can lay out the cash for a Geissele.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    Buy a PSA kit with no fcg and a magpul grip ($35) and add the spikes trigger ($60) noveske ambi safety ($40) and you essentially have the spikes kit. The pins are unnecessary but if you need them they can be had for $30.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    It all depends on whether you want all the upgrades Spikes includes. When I priced it out last time (when I was buying), the cost of the upgrades alone was about the price of the enhanced LPK... so you essentially got the rest of the kit for free. In that regard, it is a good deal. I don't know if that is still the case with the 2012 prices... I have not looked into it recently. If you don't use one or two of the parts (especially the FCG), then I agree that it's not a good deal at all.

PS - I love the Ergo grip. :o

That's the point I wanted to make, individually the parts add up to more than the parts kit so I jumped on it when joebobs anounced it would be back in stock. Do I need the anti-rotation pins, no but the pins won't come out by accident or otherwise now so whatever. There's alot of "unnecessary" crap AR guys do to their rifles and it just adds weight so to each his own.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I love when gun owners say you don't need this don't need that....
    How many of us really need an AR? Most things about guns are not about need!

Want want want!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I love when gun owners say you don't need this don't need that....
    How many of us really need an AR? Most things about guns are not about need!

Want want want!

As long as we have a government, you need an AR. Just my opinion....

FWIW, I really like my Spike's battle trigger. I couldn't find the enhanced lower parts kit for my latest build, but i basically bought all the parts separately.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I have the Spikes battle trigger thats Nickel Boron coated in both my AR and my M&P15-22. The triggers feel GREAT. For me there is no reason to buy anything more expensive.

I have a spike standard lower and one with the enhanced LPK. Fired back to back the NiB trigger is much smoother and while the pulls are the same, it feels less because of the smoother less gritty pull. Both lowers have about the same round count (both lowers have less than 150 rounds), so they are far from broken in. I hear that the standard trigger needs to be broken in and will smooth out with time.

I can't speak to that but out of the box new the difference in the two triggers is noticeable. For what it's worth, I plan on upgrading the trigger on my standard lower and will leave the lower with the enhanced LPK alone.

MDoffroad- glad to see someone else with love for the WJ.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Unless you can still get the pre-premium increase ELPK from someone like Joebob a kit more suited to what you want can be put together with stuff joebob sells and you more likely get it before the stuff is banned. :D

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Lower_Receiver_Parts_Kit_without_Trigger_Group_w_p/rra-ar0120ltg.htm 49.95 no FCG

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/MAG...Aluminum_Trigger_Guard_p/mag-015 aluminum.htm 17.95

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kies_Re_Spec_Nickel_Boron_Trigger_Group_p/kies-nbfcg.htm full NiB FCG with anti-walk pins 63.95

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kies_Ambi_Safety_p/kies-ambisafety.htm if you need to have an ambi safety 31.95

Using the A2 grip out of the PK this kit here costs 163.80 and you can probably get by the weekend and its most likely just as good as the Spikes.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Brennan, its all good, yep, thats my brother. He likes building as much as shooting them. I honestly have no intention to ever sell any of my firearms. I will admit to being an M&P whore though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom