Is it possible to simply not be any good with a specific gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I shoot my Glocks pretty well. I will never forget the words of the basic training gunnersmate after seeing my qual attempt with the M92,

"You could not hit the ocean from the beach. You could not hit the walls of the barn from inside the barn. YOU could not commit suicide with this weapon."

Last edited:

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    `Every human is different from every other, therefore the difference between one gun and another will be different for every hand that shoots it. A gun that seats well in one hand will not fit another, the difference in grip shape, angle, trigger location, ect. can make a HUGE difference in how well that gun works for you. The best made pistol in the world may be a piece of crap to the person who just cannot get it work with their hand!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I shoot my Glocks pretty well. I will never forget the words of the basic training gunnersmate after seeing my qual attempt with the M92,

"You could not hit the ocean from the beach. You could not hit the walls of the barn from inside the barn. YOU could not commit suicide with this weapon."

Yeah, that is me with the Glock, any Glock. :D

Skipper

Oct 21, 2013
    One may "fit" you better than the other. Also, the caliber is probably a big factor.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , somewhat.

Every gun does not fit every hand. And in a few cases , a gun that feels good in the hand fondling it at the store , doesn't work in actual firing , and the reverse. ( Yes, I bout somthing that felt severely mediocre at the store , but was fine in actual shooting , so it can happen.)

Combine this with an unfamiliar trigger system , and it's not pretty.

A very experienced shooter , with a familarity with lots of trigger systems , and force themselves to get adaquate results with a mis fitting gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Six inch groups at 25 feet would not be an ammo issue, unless maybe they were all tumbling.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I do know that I suck less with a 180 grain in a Glock 22 than I do with a 165. Do most Glock 40 S&W's like a 180 grain, or did I just happen to try a few that all liked a 180 over a 165?

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Yes, all the above.

Yesterday I shot a SIG Ultra Compact .45 with very tight groups with one ammo (Herter's Select Grade brass) and all over the place with another brand (Silver Bear), both 230 grain at the same distance.

I have a Taurus PT-92 9mm that I continue to struggle with while having no issues with my Steyr L9-A1, a S&W SW9F (Glock knockoff), and a Beretta PX-4. It is as though the Taurus has a mind of its own as to where the bullets are going to hit. Mind you, they are all on the paper (actually all over the paper), just not tightly grouped. No idea if it is the grip, the trigger, or the shooter.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have to use slightly different finger/trigger positions for different guns. Snap Caps showed me I was moving the guns differently as I pulled the triggers. Learning which placement worked best for each gun improved my shooting with each one.

There could easily be a gun any particular person could not master.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Bad news: It isn't the tool, it's you.
    Good news: You can be fixed.

Consistent and directed dry fire practice will lead you to shooting well with the Sig. Perform 20-50 trigger pulls twice a day, five or six days a week, for the next month. Take your time and make them perfect.

Then go back to the range and compare how it prints.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County

Ditto......

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    I have a hard time with my G34. If I'm really patient with it, I can do ok. But if I pick up my GP100 I'm golden. I definitely need more time behind my Glock.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    I had the same issue with my hk45c. I was so frustrated I had the guy next to me who was shooting very good throw 2 mags down range and he was dead on. I thanked him and said, now I know it's not the gun lol... Looks like I'll just need a lot more range time with it then it took me to get up to speed with my other handguns.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    My money is on the DAK trigger being the culprit. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sigs, but mine are DA/SA. There are people who think the DAK is fantastic, but to me it's an abomination, and I can't shoot a gun with that type of trigger well without concentrating hard on what I'm doing with my trigger finger. If you are determined to keep the Sig or want to try to train yourself to shoot it well, try this. You are probably pulling back on the trigger slowly, increasing pressure until the trigger breaks. Instead, for the DAK trigger try just pulling through it firmly like you would if you were a kid with a cap gun. For some, that method works better with the DAK trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom