Is it possible to simply not be any good with a specific gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ammo can make a difference. Try different loads; shoot it from a bench; have a really good shooter try it also.

Good luck

Jerry

Sorry, but 25 feet is 8 yards. NO ammo is going to be that bad, that close.

I am going to go with trigger and recoil of the .40 affecting reset of his sight picture. And firing too fast.

Give me an hour and I could get him shooting at least silver dollar sized groups at 8 yards with either of these.

Shoot that SIG again with loading 1 round at a time. I guarantee you would tighten that group up considerably. There is no reason to have a shot pattern like this at 8 yards, with any pistol. Except for firing too fast.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Even with proper technique, it still comes down to ergonomics. I think it's less of an issue with rifles, but certainly handguns I think it is entirely possible to not be in sync with a particular firearm. The grip size, width, angle; trigger weight or position relative to the grip; size of the trigger guard affecting your support hand position. It all can add up.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    There are a few guys, like Hickok45, that can be accurate with just about any gun they pick up. The have the Right Stuff.

For most of us, there are some guns we shoot very well and others we struggle with to achieve accurate groups. I, for example, still have trouble getting consistently tight groups with my j-frames and LCRs. The triggers have a completely different feel than my semi-autos.

I think most inaccuracy problems with guns are tied to a shooter's bad techniques than flaws in the weapon itself.

The guys i know who can pick up any firearm and shot it well usually shoot thousands of rounds a month. They can get in the groove very quickly. I am betting that the average md shooter fires far less than that. I am more consistant with long guns than pistols.
    I can usually pick up almot any semi pistol and do well but when it comes to cowboy guns I don't seem to be able to do as well. Just don't like the blade front sight on most of them.

On the other hand I have found in teaching classes is that a lot of people shoot much better with 9mm then the do with 40cal and then if you hand them a 1911 45cal they can shoot it better than 40. I think that if you don't shoot 40 cal a lot it is harder to shoot. That being said I carry a glock 27 a lot of the time. Just got to shoot it a lot.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    The guys i know who can pick up any firearm and shot it well usually shoot thousands of rounds a month. They can get in the groove very quickly.

I have always been lucky in that I never get to shoot as much as I'd like to, and I can pretty much pick up any handgun and dial it in within 2-3 shots. It just takes practice and fundamentals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom