• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Is it possible that a pistol will shoot/aim differently as it breaks in?

We have put 250 rounds through the HiPoint .380 (ZERO malfuntions BTW, knock wood) including the one hundred today. Today at the range, it was shooting low and left. We are talking 6" at 10 yards, two different brands of ammo.

I know, I know, the first thoguht is trigger control. But I tried several different things to minimize that potential factor. When I shot, the groupings were consistant until I compensated and...then less so (that was me doing something different than normal). I did not attempt to dial it in again, I wanted to get your comments. first.

So if it was not a trigger control/flinch issue (humor me no matter what you are thinking), what could it have been? Do pistols shoot differently as they are getting broken in? Will I have to zero things in again? How often and at what points?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Splitter

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    with that kind of results I would look at things like ammo/loads, sights, and possibliity of something wrong between barrel and slide. just my view point

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Good thought, but it was very clean.

Almost half the rounds fired today were Blazer. They function just fine in the pistol, but are the least accurate brand I have tried in it. They also tend to leave more residue. Last box I will buy.

Thus far, Margtech has been the most accurate.

Again, while I may not be the best pistol shot around, I had been keeping it close to center at 10 yards and in the black at 25. Unless we both just had REALLY bad shooting days, something is off.

Splitter

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Magtech is good stuff but it's dirty too. It could have been a combination of a bad day and bad ammo both coming together at the same time. Some days I can knock a nat off a bulls butt and some days I couldn't hit a mack truck at 10 feet. Keep practicing and let us know the next time you shoot how it turns out.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have definitely noticed differences in ammo when breaking a pistol in. Even some rounds using the same weight bullets would shoot differently (tighter/wider groups usually). Never had any that tended to fly in one direction.

AFAIK the only way to make rounds go off center is bad sight alignment or issues with your shooting position. Get some of the "Shooters Wheel of Fortune" targets and stick em behind a standard target. It helped me out a lot when I was starting out. If I ever start having rounds fly a certain way I consult it and just try to not do what I was doing ;)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Good thought, but it was very clean.

Almost half the rounds fired today were Blazer. They function just fine in the pistol, but are the least accurate brand I have tried in it. They also tend to leave more residue. Last box I will buy.

Thus far, Margtech has been the most accurate.

Again, while I may not be the best pistol shot around, I had been keeping it close to center at 10 yards and in the black at 25. Unless we both just had REALLY bad shooting days, something is off.

Splitter

Gun accuracy is gun-ammo dependent. My Kimber Gold Match shoots the Magtech OK, but really likes UMC. You may go through a couple of brands until you find the one your gun likes.

That being said, it could be a combo of crappy ammo and an off day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom