• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    Ok so a couple of months ago I bought a Century Arms C308 and I finally got out the the range this weekend with it. I really like the rifle's history and handling; and I couldn't be happier with the gun. The first mag functioned flawlessly, the second 20 rounds had problems. I think is a trigger control problem and not the gun. (But I'm not sure.)

This is a cell phone video showing the problem. Please tell me what you think the problem is and how to remedy it. Thanks!

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That's an annoying problem known as doubling.

Hammer follow probably. The hammer is skipping off the sear before you pull the trigger again.

I don't know if a bad disconnector will allow the hammer to fly forward with that much force.

Stop shooting it and take it in and have it looked at.

PS: I tend to agree with removing the gun shops name from your post. Has no bearing on the problem.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    Seems like bad form to mention the IP for what could be a manufacturing defect.

Didn't even think of that! I did NOT mean for it to be a negative on their part and have removed it from my original post. For the record they were awesome in every way when I was there and I know that this problem has no relationship with their awesome customer service. Thanks for the courtesy tip!

On topic where should I take it to get it looked over?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Send it in for repair. Take down the video and have this thread closed. This is out of an abundance of caution and distrust of the BATFE.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    Send it in for repair. Take down the video and have this thread closed. This is out of an abundance of caution and distrust of the BATFE.

Don't know how to close the thread but I took down the video.

Looking at Century's website they seem like it's going to be a PITA to send it in for repair. Are there any recomendations on a local gunsmith I can take it to first? The site says 4-6 weeks for repairs and I have to ship it through a Century dealer. I'll do that if I have to but I'm not familiar with shipping firearms and would rather have it done locally anyway.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    I was thinking the same thing.... no need to bait the bears. Even if something like that is completely not your fault, it won't matter if someone decides to pursue it. Good luck with the repairs.

I feel that it's incredibly depressing that we need to think this way. It didn't even occur to me that big brother would even look at it that way. Thanks for looking out guys.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    Ok so plan A right now is to take it to The Machine Gun Nest tomorrow and see if one of the gunsmiths there can confirm the problem and maybe fix it for recommend someone more local than where I bought it. I would rather pay someone that local than ship it off to Century. If anyone knows of somebody I can contact if plan A fails I would appreciate it.

In hindsight I should have bought the CZ 527... :rolleyes:

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    MGN has knowledgeable H&K people. They would be able to access a simple problem far quicker than sending it in. I've dealt with people with $10k guns that need a little help and even at that level it is a pain to deal with a manufacturer over a long distance.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    MGN has knowledgeable H&K people. They would be able to access a simple problem far quicker than sending it in. I've dealt with people with $10k guns that need a little help and even at that level it is a pain to deal with a manufacturer over a long distance.

Thanks for that vote of confidence! It's kinda funny, with this rifle I feel so out of my depth compared to working on my AR or my Glock so I've really cautious about what I'm going to do with it.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    I went to TMGN today to have them look over the rifle and they were very helpful! Evidently the trigger pack in my rifle is this weird non HK style trigger pack that has a different design to it. They swapped out my lower with a real G3 lower and it functioned just fine. They were very professional and answered all of my questions. I had never been there before and they treated me like a regular. Regardless of how all of this turns out with my rifle they have made a new customer!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Is the C308 still legal for sale in MD?

Yes and no, MSP has erroneously placed it on their banned rifle list (which they state is not legally binding but more "guidance") so some FFLs will still sell it and some FFLs wont.

In stock configuration it is MD legal.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    I say its just a problem with a gun. I know our legal system sucks but how could they use the video against the op? Its a malfunction that he needs to get fixed now if he modified it to do that atf should be all over it.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I haven't seen your cell phone video...but I'm speculating that you're bump firing the rifle, buy not following through on the trigger pull --- By having the trigger finger just resting on the face of the trigger {after the sear breaks} and not following through, which could be remedied by burying your trigger finger in the rear of the trigger guard.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I say its just a problem with a gun. I know our legal system sucks but how could they use the video against the op? Its a malfunction that he needs to get fixed now if he modified it to do that atf should be all over it.

Because the BATFE has prosecuted people for a firearm that doubled due to some issue that was NOT caused by the owner.

Their take is, if it fires more than one round per trigger pull, it is a fully automatic firearm NO MATTER WHY IT DID SO.

That is why you do not want to post a video of a firearm that you own doubling.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    I haven't seen your cell phone video...but I'm speculating that you're bump firing the rifle, buy not following through on the trigger pull --- By having the trigger finger just resting on the face of the trigger {after the sear breaks} and not following through, which could be remedied by burying your trigger finger in the rear of the trigger guard.

The trigger reset is so short on this thing that I've "bumped it" during dry practice. My trigger squeeze skills are not that great anyway but this is nuts....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom