• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    As I look at training offerings I wonder if the HQL only course is still viable. I get very little interest in the HQL only course versus the Md permit course which includes the HQL without any more fee.

What do you guys think?

TD

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    In my carry permit class last year when I took my class, a guy was there just to get his HQL. He was even told he could get his carry permit that would satisfy the HQL too, but he didn’t have any interest in carrying.

I’m not judging, just saying that there are some (probably a very few “some”) people who only want the HQL.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Miles, I can't help you here because I exempted out from the training part of HQL.

I was pissed as heck when I had retrieval of my last handgun purchase delayed and had the added cost of the HQL malarkey tacked on to the bottom line cost.

Stupid ass Maryland.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    It's just easier to get UT tacked onto the HQL and yes, there are people who don't want to carry or can't afford the time or cost of W&C, just like the right denying racists planned it.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Is the HQL going to exist much longer ? I keep hearing rumors about not be able to renew.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I think there is still a demand. I know someone who doesn't have much of any shooting experience, and they want to get their HQL to start and become proficient before going for a carry permit.

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    Considering the HQL comes with the C&W, I want to put out there that recently obtaining a C&W renews the HQL. I know it doesn't work like that, but refute my logic.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Considering the HQL comes with the C&W, I want to put out there that recently obtaining a C&W renews the HQL. I know it doesn't work like that, but refute my logic.
    How does it renew the HQL? I got an HQL in 2014, so my renewal is next year, along with my carry permit. Are you saying that by getting my carry permit in 2022 I'm now automatically renewed with my HQL for another 10 years?

Hopefully the HQL is (rightfully) declared unconstitutional before my renewal.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Is the HQL going to exist much longer ? I keep hearing rumors about not be able to renew.
    Rumors were started by people wanting to renew before their HQL expires. No one can renew yet because it is months (I think 6 months) before any expire and MSPLD has not set up the process yet. If you try to find it on the website, it just says check back later.

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    How does it renew the HQL? I got an HQL in 2014, so my renewal is next year, along with my carry permit. Are you saying that by getting my carry permit in 2022 I'm now automatically renewed with my HQL for another 10 years?

Hopefully the HQL is (rightfully) declared unconstitutional before my renewal.
    I'm just saying that since the state says the W&C training meets the requirements for the HQL, it SHOULD (I know it's not) be sufficient for renewal.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have been around finger print places twice in the past 2 months. Everyone there was doing HQL

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm just saying that since the state says the W&C training meets the requirements for the HQL, it SHOULD (I know it's not) be sufficient for renewal.
    But no one knows the renewal requirement yet and there is that logic and law disconnect thing.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I think there is still a demand. I know someone who doesn't have much of any shooting experience, and they want to get their HQL to start and become proficient before going for a carry permit.
    Tell the someone that just because you have a carry permit don't mean you have to use it. Actually, it may help you when you have a gun with you going to the range, or elsewhere. There would be a lot less hoopla by the police if you got stopped and you have a carry permit. Makes no sense to not get it at this point.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My HQL expires in Oct. I just looked on the MSP portal and I didn't see a place to renew. So who knows?

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    So far, I have refused to get a HQL because I viewed it as an infringement. Now with the W&C option available, I have a interest in purchasing a W&C firearm since I don't own any that would fit the bill. 357 w/ a 4inch barrel or a 1911 seem a little big. I found out recently that I can apply for a HQL without needing the training portion since I have a purchase that fits the requirement. Just need to fill out the forms, finger prints and pay the infringement fee. I'm hoping that SCOTUS get involved and removes all the Maryland infringements one day soon.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Tell the someone that just because you have a carry permit don't mean you have to use it. Actually, it may help you when you have a gun with you going to the range, or elsewhere. There would be a lot less hoopla by the police if you got stopped and you have a carry permit. Makes no sense to not get it at this point.

LOL - short answer is she really wants to have some level of proficiency for the live fire part and a better comfort level with the handling and operation of a pistol. My range had a rimfire ladies day a few years back that she enjoyed, but she hasn't done anything since. Having watched me get my permit this past fall and all the legislative BS gong on has rekindled her interest to pursue all of this. Now that the weather is improving, I need to take her to the range and get her confidence up, and perhaps she'll go directly to getting her permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom