• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I've been there a few times since their opening. I don't need much to be happy, but does anyone else notice their range is a bit dilapidated? My most recent visit was year and a half or longer.

That sucks about the employees, the brief times I've stopped in I always recognized the same people who worked there.

gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    I shoot there quite often. Staff is always friendly. I never buy ammo from any range, it is all overpriced. Their facilities seem fine to me. My favorite indoor range.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I've been there a few times since their opening. I don't need much to be happy, but does anyone else notice their range is a bit dilapidated? My most recent visit was year and a half or longer.

That sucks about the employees, the brief times I've stopped in I always recognized the same people who worked there.

When they took it over after Gunpowder Indoor Range went under, H&M did a good makeover on the building, but the mechanics inside the range stayed the same and/or were rebuilt.

As far as the employee turnover, that may have something to do with the owner.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, I remember how nice it looked during the opening from the vacant Gunpowder.

Maybe it was a bad week, but the last time I stepped foot in there I was surprised how disrepair the place had gotten. Without spewing internet complaints too much I think at least the bullet hole through the center of the shooting lanes table could have been repaired.

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    I went to Freedom Armory for the first time last night. I liked their range a lot more than H&M, however H&M is closer to me. So, I think my range time will be split between the two.

*Edit - Said Freestate, meant Freedom.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I shoot there from time to time. I have never had any complaints about the staff or service. It is close to home, too.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Seems like everything has been covered. I decided to go elsewhere with the old ammo policies in place at Horst and will continue to do so. With that said, I did think the staff was a friendly bunch. The whole "health issue" thing gets me though....

DB Nswinger

Jun 9, 2011
    I have shot there in the past and the place seemed like it was in shambles. Their reloads are horrible and do a good job of gunking up my firarms. I had to take my Ed brown 1911 to a gunsmith in HDG for repair after shooting there once. I prefer freestate.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Do they read any of these posts?

It's funny, I've seen three other ranges in the area respond to the posts on this site. I don't think I've ever seen H&M ever chime in to defend themselves or respond to compliments.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    You say that, but Select Fire does it.

I'll have to hunt through some old posts and try and find that.

I never tire of bad-mouthing Select Fire.
    I moved to Ferndale and was excited to have a range 10 minutes from my house.
    Those guys ****ed with me right through the door and I shot once and never went back.
    That was ten years ago and I still disparage them at every opportunity.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    It's funny, I've seen three other ranges in the area respond to the posts on this site. I don't think I've ever seen H&M ever chime in to defend themselves or respond to compliments.

I personally think it's good business sense, as we have all seen some employees of certain ranges lose their tempers and only hurt the situation for the business.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I've been a member there for three years. The only things I've ever bought in the store besides targets were two suppressors, so I could shoot them every week until the forms came back and I could take them home. They charged me MSRP, but it was worth the extra (probably only $100 each vs what I could have gotten at the other SOTs in the county at the time) to get the 3-4 months of use out of them.

The range is a bit run down, there's even an entire second range that they don't have the money to fix up that they're using for storage and making the reloads, its the door at the end of the hallway to the range. I think the primary range is 25m, the other is ~20m. But for $300/year for unlimited range time I'm willing to put up with a horrible paint job.

TaxMan

Jul 2, 2011
    I hope I did not pick too hot a topic for my 1st post, but......
    For less than $300/year you can have "new paint" at the Free State Gun Range.
    I have been to all the mentioned ranges mentioned on MD shooters forum, they
    all provide the basic service shooters require. Some are better than others. My
    opinion is that there is a better value for your money at FSGR. More so, if you
    live close to them. I visited them both last Sunday. H&M came in second, for
    many reasons previously discussed here. The FSGR gunsmith helped me on a
    seconds notice, and at no charge. The owner gave me a tour, etc. Conclusion is,
    a H&M membership will loose to a $250 membership from FSG.>

Not_Disapproved

Known Defiler
    Jul 3, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Freedom Armory

I took a NRA class at H&M and I had no problems and the range looked OK to me. Everybody I dealt with was exceedingly nice, so much that they forgot to charge me. I had to mail a check later, but that's as much my fault as anybody's.

Freedom Armory in Glen Rock, PA, is expensive for a membership, but they pretty much let you do want you like within reason. Occasionally, they've killer deals on Remington UMC 9mm and 45 ACP. They were selling a box of 9mm for $10.25, when everyone else was $12 AND up. They are staffed by primarily rural PA law enforcement retirees and they are religious, but if you keep the expletives to a minimum and don't conduct any pagan sacrifices in your lane, you'll be ok.

Last edited:

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I've been a member there for three years. The only things I've ever bought in the store besides targets were two suppressors, so I could shoot them every week until the forms came back and I could take them home. They charged me MSRP, but it was worth the extra (probably only $100 each vs what I could have gotten at the other SOTs in the county at the time) to get the 3-4 months of use out of them.

The range is a bit run down, there's even an entire second range that they don't have the money to fix up that they're using for storage and making the reloads, its the door at the end of the hallway to the range. I think the primary range is 25m, the other is ~20m. But for $300/year for unlimited range time I'm willing to put up with a horrible paint job.

Think about joining Delta $55 a year and the place is NEVER crowded! Half the times I go up I'm the only person there-- the othe other half it's people I know shooting--- so you can't go wrong... No one rushes you or watches the clock while you shoot... 25 yd pistol range and 100 yd rifle range--- Not indoors but both have nice covered roofs over the firing lines.... I just hate shooting indoors....

H & M has never "wronged" me, but if they spent that littlest of time trying to be a bit more friendly or helpful, their business would blossom...

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I have not been to H&M since Free State opened but I never had a bad experience at H&M. The only criticism would be filling out the same paper work every time I went in. Seems to me that should be computerized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom