• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uber

Mar 20, 2021
    Gaithersburg
    I'm considering buying this Tippmann Arms "AR-15" chambered in .22-LR (Link: M4-22 ELITE at Palmetto State Armory). Then I considered the legalities for Maryland. AR-10's are not a problem and they differ by caliber from AR-15's. And I reasoned that if this "AR-15" is native (not a conversion kit) .22-LR, do I need to check the banned/allowed list of rifles for Maryland?

I also think I heard a recent change in Maryland gun laws required all long guns to go through FFL. Is that right?

Thanks for help.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It’s an AR “pattern” rifle. It’s 100% legal. Long guns do need to go through an FFL.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm considering buying this Tippmann Arms "AR-15" chambered in .22-LR (Link: M4-22 ELITE at Palmetto State Armory). Then I considered the legalities for Maryland. AR-10's are not a problem and they differ by caliber from AR-15's. And I reasoned that if this "AR-15" is native (not a conversion kit) .22-LR, do I need to check the banned/allowed list of rifles for Maryland?

I also think I heard a recent change in Maryland gun laws required all long guns to go through FFL. Is that right?

Thanks for help.
    That looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I would be curious to hear how it does. I went ahead and added a 22LR SBR upper to an existing registered SBR AR, and it is a hoot. But building a nice upper that works is expensive and just buying the whole thing outright is probably best.

I see that the PSA offering is a 25 round mag, they may not ship that to Maryland. PSA is not good about removing a mag for ban states. Atlantic Firearms on the other hand will:

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I have never handled one of those Tippmann rifles but I had heard somewhere that they are great guns.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Thanks for help.
    Can a standard AR 15 upper be put on one of those?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Can a standard AR 15 upper be put on one of those?
    Its possible the recoil system seems to be like a JP enterprise silent recoil system with no buffer and buffer detent, also the bolt release looks different. In theory if you change those you could put a conventional AR upper on it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    From what I understand, I asked somewhere, the Tppmans cannot br readily ‘made into’ a centerfire rendition of the AR-15. Accessories work. I was told the takedown pins are on different centers. I inquired because I was sure Tippman didn’t want that nightmare.

I have a Tippman and they are a hoot to shoot. Accurate enough to be a good practice piece for centerfire guns. I’ll see if I can get a centerfire upper on just for information.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I did check.
    Takedown pins are on the same centers.
    The front upper receiver cutout of the Tippman receiver is about .008” too narrow to accept an Aero upper reciver pin lug.
    Rear Aero receiver lug fits in Tippman lower.
    I didn’t measure pin bores vs pin diameters.
    AR mag will not fully insert into magwell, the bolt lock/release assm blocks it.
    The top rear 1/3-1/2 of the magwell is cut out of the Tippman lower receiver.

The lockwork section cross width of the Tippman lower seemed thin. Intentionally weakened perhaps?
    There is no buffer retainer pin bore in the Tippman lower.
    I didn’t do anything more detailed than quick check those features.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The reason I asked was if they were interchangeable, I would have cautioned the OP that he would need a heavy barreled upper to be legal in .223/5.56 Sounds as though they are not interchangeable after all. Thanks all who answered my question. I apologize for the slight derailment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom