Is a Gun Safe in Garage, not Climate controlled, Ok?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I got a Fort Knox safe from A1 Uniforms with their "special deal" on the opening order. I ordered the Maverick and got a price sub $1,200.00. You can still easily stay sub $2,000 for a Fort Knox safe at full retail. I think they are among the best safes out there.

You got a hellava deal !:thumbsup:

UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    I have limited space in my house interior for a gun safe. I just ordered a Fort Knox Maverick Safe. I would like to put in my Garage which is not climate controlled but it protected by a security alarm. I will also be bolting the safe to the floor. If I put a Golden Rod in the safe will this suffice to protect the guns?

I could put the safe inside the home but I would have to tear up an existing closet to make it big enough to fit the safe and it will be a bit more difficult getting the safe in the basement than it would be the garage.
    Hang a dehumid/bar inside and should be ok.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Also, does anyone have expert advice to offer me as I look at which safe to buy? I need room for a ps90, 5.7 pistol, a shotgun (next expected purchase), and ammo and some valuables and paperwork.

I'm looking in the $1000-2000 range

I'm not an expert but what I have found out from personal experience is that safes shrink.

Try to buy the largest you can get while maintaining your budget and quality expectations.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    liberty fatboy has been in my garage for 3 years now. I have a rod inside and a few cans and bags of desacant. I wipe my stuff down pretty good and its been good to go.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    On hot summer days, my garage gets hot and humid. I dont think a goldenrod would be very effective since it just elevates the temp inside the safe. You would have to rely on dehumidifiers and the maintenance to drain them

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Thanks guys. I will build a platform for the safe and bolt both to floor. I did order a mechanical lock on the safe. I don't trust the electronic locks.

I used hockey pucks one on each corner to keep the safe off the floor. Much more sightly then wood and rubber is impervious to moisture, rot, etc...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    On hot summer days, my garage gets hot and humid. I dont think a goldenrod would be very effective since it just elevates the temp inside the safe. You would have to rely on dehumidifiers and the maintenance to drain them

Elevating temperature decreases humidity ... fact of physical science. If the guns stay significantly above dewpoint, they stay dry; that's the physics of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom