Invector Chokes in an Invector Plus Barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I have an FN SLP.
    This one.
    http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commercial/shotguns/slp-series/slp-tactical/

It says this about the barrel.

BARREL

Hard-chromed bore and 3" chamber
    Standard Invector™ interchangeable choke tubes
    Accessory sporting barrels are available

Confirmed here.
    20130112_1459401.jpg

I bought a barrel. I was going back and forth with a guy about a 22" barrel with Invector chokes.
    I found another one after he decided to keep it. I went and picked it up. It is unused. He says he got it from Midway.
    This is the only one listed on FN's site.
    http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commercial/accessories/shotguns/slp-autoloading-shotgun-barrels/
    Product No: 3088929500
    22″ FN SLP MK I non-back-bored barrel with 3″ chamber, Weaver-pattern cantilever scope mount, adjustable rifle sights, one Standard Invector™ Improved choke tube.
    However....on MidwayUSA
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/97...embly-fn-slp-mk1-12-gauge-3-22-improved-black
    It says this about the barrel.
    Note: Barrels use the Invector Plus choke system and ship with one choke tube included (Supplied choke listed in description)
    This is the barrel.
    20130112_1500001.jpg

Which sucks....because I have invector tubes......but wait.
    The tube in the barrel is the one on the far right. The one from my original barrel and others that I have been using are to the left.
    20130112_1500541.jpg

What the hell? I googled if I can use an invector tube in an invector plus barrel and got the standard yes, no, you will shoot your eyes out answers from the intertards.

Invector OK in an invector plus barrel?

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Found this.

From a Browning manual...

The Invector-Plus system is a screw in choke tube system with interchangeable tubes. You can confirm this by reading the inscription on the barrel. The words INVECTOR-PLUS mean your shotgun uses the Invector-Plus choke tube system designed for use in Browning 12 gauge shotguns with back-bored barrels...
    CAUTION: Invector-Plus tubes are for use in Browning back-bored barrels only (.754" +0 -.005), and are not interchangeable with standard 12 gauge Invector choke tubes. Do not use Invector Plus tubes in barrels threaded for the Standard Invector tubes. Do not use Standard Invector tubes in barrels threaded for Invector Plus tubes. Failure to follow these warnings may cause damage to your gun and cause injury to yourself and others.

But how can this be true? This thing is new in the box with shipping label from midway with cosmo all over it and the tube. It was even in a brown paper/cosmo wrapper and a sealed bag in the box. I mean.....it doesn't look like he ever took it out of the box.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    they are different sizes internally, dont know about the threads. Do not interchange them.
    I have guns that use 1 or the other of the 2 and they are both fine but not interchangable. The plus is a larger bore size even thought they are both nominally 12 gauge the Plus is moving towards being 11 gauge on the theory of less recoil.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Do the chokes "fit" in both barrels? I put the one from my 18" barrel in the 22" barrel and the fit/feel was identical and everything lined up inside when I scoped it. I will mike the barrels real fast and give you a measurement to make sure the threads aren't just making soft contact.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I left a message at FN but.....I decided to shoot it Sunday at the match. Everything that I read showed that the invector would not even seat in the invector plus barrel. That it would be obvious that it didn't fit at all.

Invector
    invectorfull.jpg

Invector Plus
    invectorplusfull.jpg

So after seeing all of that and putting the chokes in the barrel, I decided that the barrel stamp is just wrong. There is just no way it is invector plus. 100 rounds down the barrel and it's perfect. I'm very happy with the extra bit of length.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Sounds right, you definitely don't have invector plus.

That's odd, the SLP, the SX3 and the Maxus are basically the same shotgun. SX3 and Maxus use invector plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom