• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    This post is a follow-on to my previous thread "Any Interest in a 4-hour Intro to IDPA Class?"

I'm seeking 3 volunteers meeting the following course prerequisites to help me test and finalize this 4-hour course:

- A desire to give IDPA a try

- Have successfully completed a basic or intermediate handgun training course or have LEO, military or contractor experience that required carrying a handgun

- Must know and demonstrate basic safe handgun handling skills

- Semi-Auto shooters watch the Shannon Smith YouTube video on grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrA7wMXuuQ

- Revolver shooters watch the Jerry Miculek YouTube video on revolver shooting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHNZFTfSD8

Course equipment requirements:

A 9mm/.38 Special or larger caliber pistol or revolver with at least a 6-round capacity

Belt holster, either inside or outside of belt, that covers the handgun's trigger guard and allows for one-handed holstering (no SERPA holsters)

Three magazines or speed loaders

Two magazine or speed loader belt pouches

Concealment garment such a shirt, jacket, coat or vest that conceals handgun and ammo on belt

Handgun case and/or range bag

150 rounds of ammo

Eye and ear protection (electronic ear muffs desired but not required)
    Hat with bill

Pants with belt loops

Sturdy belt suitable for holding holstered gun and ammo/pouches

Lawn or camp chair (Recommended but not required)

Clothing suitable for outdoor conditions

Water

The test run course will be held at Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club (http://tcandsc.org). Time is noon until 5 PM on Wednesday, 4 Nov 15.

If you meet the above criteria and would like to volunteer as one of the three course attendees, please send me a PM with the following information:

1. MS Screen Name & Real First and Last Name
    2. Email Address
    3. Cell Phone
    4. Brief description of prior shooting experience

Those selected for the test run will receive full credit for attending the future course. Test run course cost will be $5.

I'll post the MS Screen Names of the three persons selected for the test run on Monday and will also email those selected with additional information on attending the test course.

For those not selected, I'll add you to the list of potential attendees for future weekday courses and give you priority on attending.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    are you an IDPA member and do you hold any credentials from them? are you an SO, MD or any of the such?

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    I have two members for Wed afternoon's class, gre24ene and R56 Ed.

I'm still looking for a third volunteer for this class. So, please let me know if this Wed afternoon will work for you.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Thanks for volunteering Stoveman. You are the third attendee for the test run.
    It's awesome that you got those volunteers so quickly & easily. This IS the class you were talking about where you were going to have the students run a quarter mile before each drill so they could shoot with high heart rates to be more realistic, right? :-)

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Nah - this is a gentleman's course. Besides, the shot timer provides enough stress and it also has the uncanny ability to empty a shooter's mind.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Nah - this is a gentleman's course. Besides, the shot timer provides enough stress and it also has the uncanny ability to empty a shooter's mind.
    Sad but true.. Especially beginners.

If you guys were closer.. I would join. :(

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Will do. I was planning on bringing it just in case we got the chance to shoot anything else.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Great to meet everybody today! Perfect weather, good company, and fun in the sun shooting. What could be better?

A big thanks to Charlie for putting this together, and especially for doing such a great job of introducing us to IDPA. Just about the most fun we can have wearing leather and carrying pistols. :D

Okay, I've left the door open for all sorts of fun. C'mon guys, have at it. :innocent0

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What a completely awesome day! Unbelievable weather, I actually got a little sun burned, completely fantastic class and the opportunity to meet and shoot with a great group of patriots, just couldn't ask for better.

I want to thank Chasbo00 for letting me attend. The class was well thought out and ran smoothly. He and his compadre were very thorough in their explanations of procedures, scoring and the choreography of a match. Gun safety was stressed at every level.

I went in to this not knowing what to expect and came out knowing that I could enter an IDPA match and have a very good understanding of what to do and how to do it. That is the mark of an excellent teacher.

After we did some practice shooting we actually did a small match with different scenarios.

20151104_142123_zps1imz4i7g.jpg

20151104_135205_zpst1mc3nmp.jpg

"Motel Room" was an absolute hoot!

20151104_150747_zpsr5y2lqtc.jpg

20151104_151815_zps8zmgngjk.jpg

And when we were done Gre24ene let us all take a spin with his tricked up Scorpion. :party29:

20151104_160837_zpskefxegdm.jpg

The class rocked and I see much success for it going forward. Those of you who expressed an interest in the other thread it is definitely time well spent.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    are you an IDPA member and do you hold any credentials from them? are you an SO, MD or any of the such?

:smoke: well dang! you did my safety orientation when i first joined IDPA. hopefully i will see you for the tuesday (the 17th) match, if not i'll see you along the way. :thumbsup:

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Many thanks to gre24ene, R56 Ed and Stoveman for being the first class attendees and helping test run the course. Also, a special thanks to ultraplanet for helping as an assistant instructor. Their feedback has been invaluable.

I'm going to shorten some of the verbal instruction and shooting exercises and expand the mini-match at the end. I'll incorporate some instruction that was previously up front into the mini-match itself. The course will still be 4 hours, but it will have more shooting sooner and the mini-match will be expanded some.

We were able to finish the test run course on time mainly because gre24ene, R56 Ed and Stoveman were all safe, experienced, good shooters who picked things up very quickly. They are all more than ready for a full IDPA match.

I'll start a new thread when the final version of the course is ready to roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom