• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm interested in a SBR 9mm AR, but I'm held to the 29" OAL. I dont want to run a 11" barrel and then put an 8" can on it, so I would prefer to purchase a 13" internally suppressed upper.

Who makes the queitest upper? I will shoot 147 or 158gr through it if needed, but I would like to stay near 120db if possible.

From what I've read some can "tune" it to shoot 115gr's and stay quiet but what if I shoot a 147gr or larger bullet through it, will it still cycle?

The list of manf's I've found are

• NFA Investments in Tx
    • SRT
    • Innovation Arms

Any other suggestions/recommendations? I have a 9mm can in jail now, but an= 19" total length (11" barrel + 8" suppressor) isn't what I'm looking for.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I may be wrong but I don't think a screw on can counts toward OAL. If that's the case you may need the 13" one anyway. Maryland really sucks!

Correct, it doesn't count unless its internally suppressed or integrally suppressed, meaning non removable.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Your AR will cycle just fine with 147gr. 9mm ARs do not have a gas system.

SRT is the only manufacturer I have any knowledge of. They have an excellent reputation.

Good luck on findingcwhat you want. 9mm ARs are a lot of fun.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I have an integral upper from NFA Investments in TX. Keith Norman does nice work. It cycles just fine with 147gr and 158gr ammo. Also works great in full auto.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    integrally suppressed means permanently attached.

IF the barrel / can combo is 16+" then it's not an SBR and 29" goes away.....

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have an integral upper from NFA Investments in TX. Keith Norman does nice work. It cycles just fine with 147gr and 158gr ammo. Also works great in full auto.

I wont ever be shooting FA, thats not in my budget lol. Would you recommend him again? I would imagine it would cycle 115's still as well but they would be super sonic?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    NFA goes away, not 29"

even with a 9mm? I'm always' tripping over the copycat.....

If you have a 16" barrel/suppressor combo that are permanently attached doesn't that make your standard AR configuration rifle over 29" anyway and not an SBR because the barrel/suppressor are long enough? This is the important question to me because that is my plan for my Engage 9mm when they are released. I really want to make a one stamp rifle and try out the "do it yourself can".

29" includes the length of the stock correct?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I may be wrong but I don't think a screw on can counts toward OAL. If that's the case you may need the 13" one anyway. Maryland really sucks!

11" will get him to correct OAL. Integrally suppressed 11" bbl is GTG. Two stamps though. One for suppressor and one for SBR.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I wont ever be shooting FA, thats not in my budget lol. Would you recommend him again? I would imagine it would cycle 115's still as well but they would be super sonic?

I bought it used from the original owner. It's a 2 stamp set up. SBR and Can. Yes, I'm very happy with it. It's probably had 8-10K rounds run through it and still perfoms great. It cycles all ammo fine, but sounds the best with 158gr subsonic.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I really want to make a one stamp rifle and try out the "do it yourself can".

Since the first stamp will be for the suppressor you will need a 16+" bbl to avoid a second SBR stamp. A 16" bbl AR is WAY over the 29" MD limit so no problem there.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Since the first stamp will be for the suppressor you will need a 16+" bbl to avoid a second SBR stamp. A 16" bbl AR is WAY over the 29" MD limit so no problem there.

And the can does not need to start at the end of the barrel. My integral from NFA Investments has a ported barrel that extends about 4-5" into the can. Similar to how an HKMP5SD can is constructed.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

Permanently attaching the suppressor makes the barrel longer than 16" even thought the barrel part may only be 10.5 (assuming the suppressor is at least 6" long)....then we have a one stamp gun. Just like attaching a long flashider...and the homemade suppressor is under $200 so you can end up saving a little money as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Permanently attaching the suppressor makes the barrel longer than 16" even thought the barrel part may only be 10.5 (assuming the suppressor is at least 6" long)....then we have a one stamp gun. Just like attaching a long flashider...and the homemade suppressor is under $200 so you can end up saving a little money as well.

You should be GTG as a one stamp set-up with that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is the one I'm leaning towards with a 13" OAL. Wondering if using a carbon fiber handguard would have any issues, I doubt it but I'm short sighted some times.

http://www.srtarms.com/custom.htm

The 13'' OAL bbl should get you past the 29'' SBR requirement. Still talking about two stamps, though. CFs can get real hot...hot enough to catch fire(seen this happen to CFs on full autos). Integral suppressed gun will build heat faster than a standard rifle, I would think. I'd check into that.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I have a CF handguard on my 300BLK pistol, I wouldn't want to put a can under it. It gets hot two mags rapidly and it's hard to hold with just the barrel under it, and the can poking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom